Hi from Gods waiting room

New to the forum? Please introduce yourself here.
Ian T
Been liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Hi from Gods waiting room

Post by Ian T »

Hi everyone

Just joined, thought I would say hello.

I have a K75S and have had so for about fifteen years so I thought it was about time for a change.

Decided on a R1100RT, or an 1150RT or the 1200RT. I think I am nearly decided on the R1200RT and it seems most people are steering me towards a 2013/2013 year.

I’m fine with that and as it is such a change of bike and riding style I am more than happy to go with all the advice I can get.

The main concern for me, and I know for many others is inside leg or in my case lack of it.

Today I went to look at a rather nice R1200RT on an 11 plate it was a fine beast to be hold, never thought they would be that big.

The adverts said it had a comfort seat on it, and mighty comfortable it was too.

Now my question is please because I am finding so much conflicting information on the internet.

How high is the comfort seat. I put it on the lower setting and it was ok, but I need some more to be safe.

Is the comfort seat higher than the normal stock seat or the same, just can’t find that out.

I have found a BMW low seat in very good condition but it is from a 2014 model, will this fit a 2012/2013 please, also how much lower is the low from stock, and is there a difference between stock and comfort. All so confusing for me.

I’ve made up my mind to get one and as soon as possible but it is just trying to work out the lowest seat option and what additional mm that would give me.

Apologies for a rather long first intro post, but if I get this sorted my next post will be’look what I just got’ sort of thing

Cheers

Ian
Doctor T
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 878 times
Been liked: 230 times
Great Britain

Re: Hi from Gods waiting room

Post by Doctor T »

From one Iain T to another Iain T a warm welcome to the site
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Hi Ian, by "comfort seat" are you referring to the dual bench seat, not the separate rider and pillion seats.

The BMW "comfort seat" is the lowest seat height for a Camhead (11 plate).

To lower the height further, you have to remove the front adjuster bar and the middle seat mounts.

This photo shows the seat mounts removed, ignore the red circles, they are electrical connections for a heated seat.

Ian T
Great Britain

Post by Ian T »

Hi Iain. I am much more simple I’ve only got one I.

Hi David

No the seat I sat on today was a single, separate from the rear. I suppose that’s what the showroom was calling it but no way of knowing.

I get exactly what you are saying about the alterations so thanks for that. Great stuff.

The seat on the bike today looked much more padded than yours. Is yours a standard or low seat please.

This is the low seat I am looking at getting is it similar to yours or not.
Attachments
DB14C56E-E34F-48C2-A349-1A319F67422B.png
DB14C56E-E34F-48C2-A349-1A319F67422B.png (998.05 KiB) Viewed 427 times
2ECC8CDC-A929-44C2-9D16-FCCEE0CD1E7C.png
2ECC8CDC-A929-44C2-9D16-FCCEE0CD1E7C.png (1.26 MiB) Viewed 427 times
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

A 2014 Wethead seat won't fit an 11 plate Camhead.

The Camhead has 3 seat height options, standard and low rider seats and the dual comfort seat described as extra low.

The photo is not my bike, just an example of a dual comfort seat.
Ian T
Great Britain

Post by Ian T »

Thanks again David

Thanks saved me a few quid,I was going to get it then use it on me bike.

Sorry to harp on about this but it’s just frying my poor simple brain.

The twin cam say for arguments sake, 2013/13 plates has two height adjustments at the front, yes? Plus there are three seat options as you say, the standard and low rider seats and the dual comfort seat described as extra low.

So of those three seats am I correct in assuming the dual comfort seat is a bench seat and lower than the other two

God how can this be so hard or am I just a simpleton

Cheers

Ian
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

You've got it spot on.
Ian T
Great Britain

Post by Ian T »

Yaaaaay

Thanks so much for your help
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

This is what you would be looking at with a comfort seat and the mounting hardware removed.

This guy has a 29" inside leg. Taken from a thread on BMWLT, https://www.bmwlt.com/threads/r1200rt-c ... eat.53161/
Last edited by David. on Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:57 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Doctor T
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 878 times
Been liked: 230 times
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

Doctor T wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 2:51 pm From one Iain T to another Iain T a warm welcome to the site
The extra I is from my Scottish ancestry. Iain meaning John
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.
Ian T
Great Britain

Post by Ian T »

Mine is Scottish as well but I once asked my mum why I didn’t have two I’s she told me that when I was born she wanted to make it as simple as she could for me. Never did get that :lol:
Ian T
Great Britain

Post by Ian T »

Thanks again David

That’s the look I’m going for, nice to know it is achievable, that’s all I really wanted to establish before I go ahead and get one.

I think I will be going for a 12/13 plate and I am wondering if those comfort seats come up very often, I certainly haven’t seen any in my insane googling over the last few weeks.

Cheers

Ian
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Ian T wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 6:56 pmI am wondering if those comfort seats come up very often.
This is the BMW Part # and description from MAX BMW, 77 34 7 708 877, SET: SET, BENCH SEAT, EXTRA-LOW, it may help with any search.
I think it's a non-heated version.

Found this, https://www.motorcyclespareparts.eu/en/ ... le-section don't know anything about MSP, never dealt with them.
You'll need the bump stops and rubber buffer too.

The price seems unbelievable, think they used to be around £400, so beware.

Here's one for just over £500, https://www.schmiedmann.co.uk/en/produc ... -7-708-877

Motorworks sometimes have used items, https://www.motorworks.co.uk/dual-seat-see18186-1.html
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Another option might be to have the existing seat re-shaped with some foam removed.
At the end of the day, that is how the height reduction is achieved. The base will be the same.
You might find two separate seats more convenient to use.

This is how BMW do it on the Wethead, 3 options, high, standard & low.

Ian T
Great Britain

Post by Ian T »

Again thanks David fabulous help.

I am going to try and check out that MSP tomorrow and see if it comes up legit and take it from there. Damn cheap price though. I echo you caution.

I totally agree with you about achieving the height reduction in many ways. I’ve had to do it on many many bikes.

Now I have had a sat on one and with your extremely helpful guidance I know it can be achieved.

I also have a wonderful seat maker Tony Archer he is the best and as usual I’m sure he will come up trumps if I need him.

So all looking rosey. I’m off to the Stafford show in about three weeks to have a good look at as many RT’s as I can then I will get one.

All going well

Cheers

Ian