“Is it me”

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Ian T
Been liked: 1 time
Great Britain

“Is it me”

Post by Ian T »

So it looks like after much deliberation that I will be getting an R1200RT, all my research and the kind guidance on here is definitely steering me that way. I’ve got Saturday at the Stafford show just to make sure, again thanks so much, then I will start hunting in earnest.

I suppose what I am asking here is am I missing something, I know it’s probably the worst time to buy a bike but I’m not that bothered, but where are the private sales, everything seems to be dealers now with I presume dealer associated prices.

I have never taken much notice of eBay as it’s full of dreamers with non realistic prices, or stupid bids, but everywhere else I look it seems to be just dealers.

I know I haven’t brought a bike for a few years, so as the sainted Terry Wogan used to say “is it me”, or am I just missing it all.

Cheers

Ian
Doctor T
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 911 times
Been liked: 239 times
Great Britain

Re: “Is it me”

Post by Doctor T »

It all depends on how much you want to pay. Anything over £5k it would be a dealer for me. For that peace of mind. Under £5k from private sales, cash is king so they say. Traveling around to see bikes can be a pain, I flew to Scotland once to buy a bike only to find it was crap. There are some genuine bikes on Ebay. Talk to the seller over the phone and you will so hear if they are an honest person or just Joe Blogs selling a few cheap bikes.
The service history is a must
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.
sakm
Administrator
Bike Model and Year: 2016 R1200RT
Has liked: 457 times
Been liked: 402 times
Great Britain

Post by sakm »

If you are looking at a high budget you will probably notice less private sales as these are the types of bikes people trade in and upgrade or keep hold of them

Depending on your budget I would go to a main dealer and take advantage of the 2 year warranty that's given with approved used

When I was looking there was nothing in it compared to all dealers and trade sales
Glacial
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT, 2011
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 8 times
Great Britain

Post by Glacial »

Keep an eye on forums, especially UKGSER. There are occasional private sales of RTs on there from owners who know and care about their bikes.

As others have said, around £5000 seems to be a natural limit on private sales
Glenn
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT LE 2018
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 92 times
Great Britain

Post by Glenn »

Keep an eye on ODMotorcycles, nr Holmfirth https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_fss= ... icSeller=1 He sells an ever changing selection of BMW's, I bought my R1200RT from him last year, traded it in for a 1250 for a profit.
Ian T
Great Britain

Post by Ian T »

Thanks everyone

Some great tips and I will certainly keep an eye on the suggested sites.

From what I can gather around 5k seems as you say tops for the private sales.

Based on everything I think I am right in saying that a 2012 or 2013 is the best to shoot for and that is what I am going to do. But this I think bars me from the approved used BMW scheme, to old.

If you recall a few weeks ago it was an R1100 then 1150 now 1200. I think I’ve got to call it somewhere and all the kind advice on here steers me to the 12/13 1200.

I most certainly don’t want a new bike, not got that long left in me, he says.

If I go over into the older 1250’s is there much of an improvement, much heavier I believe. I just don’t know.

Thanks again for all your help.

Cheers

Ian
sakm
Administrator
Bike Model and Year: 2016 R1200RT
Has liked: 457 times
Been liked: 402 times
Great Britain

Post by sakm »

See from what I have read the 2014 onwards is classed as the better bikes!

They just get better and better

With the 1250 engine being better although a fair few people don't like the TFT's

I suggest just getting test rides and see what you think
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 99 times
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

You won't go far wrong with anything from the end of the age of the servo braked RT, they're all very good bikes :thumb:
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
Steve398
Bike Model and Year: R1200RTLC, 2018
Has liked: 282 times
Been liked: 240 times
Isle of Wight

Post by Steve398 »

Ian T wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 8:16 pm

I most certainly don’t want a new bike, not got that long left in me, he says.
When I was younger I thought I would probably give up biking when I got to 70, but when I reached 70 I just got a newer bike instead… :-D
Ian T
Great Britain

Post by Ian T »

Thanks again everyone

Think I am overthinking again, I do that a lot.

Post servo brakes is a great tip and thanks.
Steve398 wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 10:01 pm

When I was younger I thought I would probably give up biking when I got to 70, but when I reached 70 I just got a newer bike instead… :-D
That did make me laugh

Cheers

Ian
hammo
Bike Model and Year: 2019 1250rtle
Been liked: 20 times
Great Britain

Post by hammo »

Should be fine with an RT , you have to think what you are going to use it for , continental touring ? UK touring , if you shop around you can get a good second hand deal with an RT that the owner has added extra,s , fog lights , top box , touring screen , and if its been serviced to schedule you should be fine , but always be aware of scammers if you go private , good luck .
Ian T
Great Britain

Post by Ian T »

Thanks and you are right.

Thing that is getting me is there just seems to be few private sales compared to dealers. Maybe it’s the way it is now.

Authorised BMW dealers warranty won’t cover as the 12/13 is just out of their 10 year thing, or that’s what the three dealerships I’ve just rung up have told me.

The rest, for me seem to be selling bikes with four, five or more owners and claiming FSH but not when I enquired, some BMW stamps then any old stamp and I’ve been riding 51 years this year, god I even had a mate once who got his own garage stamp made up. So for me pretty worthless unless all the bills and receipts are there to accompany. Everyone I have rung or visited over the last week or so have no supportive documentation. One I even visited has a lovely shiny 1200 on an 11 plate. I took the seats off and it was rusty all over. The electronic suspension didn’t work and you should have seen the advert. Wonderful it was with full service history.

Or maybe I am out of touch and that is the way of the world.

I am sure one will come along soon, but like some of you have mentioned here you hate time wasters, so do I.

Funny thing is, I got the cash, the wife has said yes so I don’t have to hide it for the first few month, and she hasn’t this time said “what’s wrong with the ones you got”. Funny old world

Still onward with the search

Cheers

Ian
Doctor T
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 911 times
Been liked: 239 times
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

Just do not rush into it. The right one will turn up.
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.
Our Gee
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011
Been liked: 24 times
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

Doctor T wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 4:07 pm Just do not rush into it. The right one will turn up.
Well said, when looking for my present Twin Cam I travelled to view four Bikes all across the North of England. If you know your RT's I would say buy on "Condition" rather then a Service History which can be false. I viewed One bike at a non BMW Dealer in Manchester which was described as Excellent with full history and did look good in the Pictures but was shoddy in the metal. Another (Private Seller) near Hull who had described his bike as "Mint" was out when I arrived, his wife said" he's just out giving it a run to charge the Battery". Eventually I did the deal at a non BMW Dealer in St Helens on my very low mileage 2011 RT SE with no history at all, not even a Rider's Manual. I bought solely on condition, it just felt right. After I bought the Bike I rang around most of the BMW Dealers in the North with only the Registration Number and was delighted to find out it had 9 main BMW Dealer services. It did cost me about £25 or so for a new Rider's Manual which I posted off to the original supplying Dealer (Roy Pidcock BMW Long Eaton) and Cooper BMW Sunderland) who stamped up my new Manual and also supplied lots of vital info such as Brake Fluid changes etc. When It does come up for sale, probably next year it "will" be described as truly excellent with genuine low mileage and very good service history.
BoB21
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 38 times
Great Britain

Post by BoB21 »

Biketrader has a recent private sale of R1250RT 2022 for £16,500 nice spec as well. beware that warranty of two years is worth quite a bit for factory approved. Some private sales are genuine trying to get better price than dealer offer but also people will try to get rid of problem bike the same way.