Tires

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
Mars Red Ken
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2019
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 1 time
United States of America

Tires

Post by Mars Red Ken »

Just bought my 2019 RT and I know it needs tires. It has 7400 on them and must be original, but they are cupped and flat in areas. My question is what will an average cost be to take it to a dealership and have two new one's put on? Looking at Michelin types.

Thanks!
Mars Red Ken
Our Gee
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011
Been liked: 24 times
Great Britain

Re: Tires

Post by Our Gee »

Tyre costs and fitting charges will vary from area to area and even country to country. Here in the UK we have generally three options with vastly varying costs. 1. Purchase tyres from an On Line supplier then either fit them your self (Cheapest Option) or 2. Take your Wheels and your new Tyres to a Fitting Shop of your choice and pay for fitting (commonly referred to in the UK as "Fitting to Loose Wheels") or Take your Bike to the Supplying Shop and have them remove the wheels, fit the new Tyres, replace the wheels and after maybe a "free" ! ! coffee off you ride.
After you have decided which regime suits you best you need to ring around Suppliers/Fitters in you own area and compare costs.
Reading about your Tyre condition I presume that the Bike was a "Private" purchase as any reputable Dealer would have replaced Tyres as you described prior to sale.
Randyjaco
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2017
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 38 times
United States of America

Post by Randyjaco »

First thing is, make sure that whoever is mounting your tires knows what they are doing with motorcycle wheels. If they screw up your wheels, it will be very expensive! Talk with other local bike owners, i.e. local BMW club members or local forum. They will know who does good work and charges reasonable prices. Many dealers (motorcycle and tire) will instaul tires from other vendors for a flat fee. If you do have a problem with the tire and bought from one vendor and had it mounted by another, you may get the story that it's the other guy's fault. For that reason, I buy from the installer. The small savings is not worth the hassle. Another point; many dealers prefer that you bring in the wheel, rather than them removing the wheel. That will definitely save you some money.
I just had a Road 6 mounted today :-D
Good luck
Mars Red Ken
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2019
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 1 time
United States of America

Post by Mars Red Ken »

Thanks! I got it all lined out and took advice from here and from my buddy who is on his second BMW. I've ordered and scheduled from my local BMW dealership, but it will be nearly a month before I get them on. I have three "other" bikes, so I can wait a month! Can't wait to be on the thing.
Mars Red Ken