First Post

New to the forum? Please introduce yourself here.
Eddieruss
Bike Model and Year: BMW R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

First Post

Post by Eddieruss »

Hello, I am writing my first post after registering today. I've just bought a 2022 R1250RT Racing Blue Metallic together with the top case. At the moment I'm busy buying and fitting the myriad of accessories one can choose when buying a BMW motorcycle. Within those that I have now fitted are the Wunderlich engine protector heads as well as their front engine protector bars. I'm also deliberating buying the Wunderlich rear pannier protection bars but there is opinion stated on a UK supplier that they may affect the pillion passengers comfort presumably with the top bar being too high!? Although, coincidence has it, I've just logged on to their website this evening and this note in the specifications has now been removed! I had previously contacted Wunderlich support and they totally deny any pillion passengers comfort being affected. I've yet to hear back from this UK supplier when I emailed them about this difference of opinion, though the now absent note surely speaks for itself! Anyway, it would be good to hear from any R1250RT owners that have bought and fitted these bars and have ridden with a pillion passenger.. ? Have their upper legs contacted the bars? and has their foot peg positions also been affected? I've also bought but not yet fitted the Wunderlich Dirt Trap Splash Cover and note that if one wants to fit these rear protector bars and the splash covers one will need to 'cut-out' a section of the splash covers to enable the upper protection bars to go through this cut-out piece and be safely bolted. Wunderlich support have advised casually that I could just "use a normal Dremel". Umm.. easy for them to say, they haven't paid nearly £80 for these covers! Still, if I don't do it and then do not fit any rear pannier protection, any drop or spill on to the panniers will be probably a lot more £ damage than cutting out a splash cover hole will be to enable pannier protection bars to be fitted! Talking of these, am I wrong in saying that there seems to be just a two-horse race/choice of either the Wunderlich or the Ilium bars from the USA? These Ilium bars do not go as high as the Wunderlich ones and also the cost is @ 40+ % more expensive. I also can't find an Ilium UK supplier either. Ha anyone fitted these and not the Wunderlich ones!? Well, there's a hefty opening 'first post' that I hadn't planned on doing! Looking forward to anyone who cares to post back.
sakm
Administrator
Bike Model and Year: 2016 R1200RT
Has liked: 433 times
Been liked: 388 times
Great Britain

Re: First Post

Post by sakm »

Hi and welcome to the forum

I can't help with the comfort of the bars but here is the UK supplier you require https://www.sportouring.co.uk/product-c ... rotection/
Eddieruss
Great Britain

Post by Eddieruss »

Hi, thanks Sakm for the Ilium bars UK supplier link
Steve398
Bike Model and Year: R1200RTLC, 2018
Has liked: 261 times
Been liked: 217 times
Isle of Wight

Post by Steve398 »

Heed also do rear bars but I’ve no experience of them.

https://heedshop.eu/en_US/p/Rear-crash- ... silver/474
Eddieruss
Great Britain

Post by Eddieruss »

Hi Steve398 for the info. & link. I'd never heard of this Polish company Heed. It would be interesting if anyone on the forum has any feedback and opinion about their pannier bars for a 1200 or 1250..
Steve398
Bike Model and Year: R1200RTLC, 2018
Has liked: 261 times
Been liked: 217 times
Isle of Wight

Post by Steve398 »

Their engine crash bars have a good reputation as far as I’ve heard. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Doctor T
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 877 times
Been liked: 230 times
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

Welcome to the forum
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.