General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Steve398
Bike Model and Year: R1200RTLC, 2018
Has liked: 261 times
Been liked: 218 times
Isle of Wight

Anyone bought a bike without a test ride

Post by Steve398 »

I was out on a coffee meet with some friends yesterday and discovered one of them had just bought a brand new model Moto Morini without a test ride, or even actually seeing it in the flesh.
I would add at this point that he’s had the marque before and been pleased with them, however, he’s also had more different bikes than years that he’s been riding thus indicating some rapid changes of mind!

My personal point of view is that I’d never buy any bike without a test ride… how about you?
Doctor T
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 878 times
Been liked: 230 times
Great Britain

Re: Anyone bought a bike without a test ride

Post by Doctor T »

I bought my Himalayan without a test ride. Without seeing the bike is odd. I like to know what my pennies are buying
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.
emlevy
Bike Model and Year: 2015 R1200RT
Been liked: 2 times
United States of America

Post by emlevy »

I’ve bought a lot of new bikes from dealerships and have never asked for or requested a test ride. I’ve also bought a lot of used bikes (and cars) online, sight-unseen, and never had an issue.
2015 R1200RT | 2012 R1200R Classic
Nick Evans
Bike Model and Year: 2009 R1200RT
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 6 times
Great Britain

Post by Nick Evans »

Went from 2009 RT to 2018 RT without ever having ridden one, and all online.
Elkinell
Bike Model and Year: 2020 R1250RT
Has liked: 85 times
Been liked: 43 times
Great Britain

Post by Elkinell »

I bought my current RT without test riding the actual bike itself because I'd been lent the demo RT when my K1600 was in for service in December. Then it was just waiting for the right RT to show up with the top box and without all the radio gubbins.
7vwh
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2014
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 33 times
Great Britain

Post by 7vwh »

I’ve bought a Kawasaki GT550 (sold after 3 years), Suzuki bandit600 (9years), Yamaha Fazer 1000 (9years) and BMW R1200RT LC (8 1/2 years and current bike) brand new from dealers without riding any of them, the decision based purely on reviews in magazines. Haven’t regretted any of them.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Bought 1 RT and a £28k Harley previously without a test ride or seeing the bikes. Also bought my latest car the same way
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 96 times
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

I bought my RT without a test ride. I remember quite well riding it away from the guys house and thinking "Feck me! wtf have a bought here?" After about 6 Months I'd bonded with the bike and realised what a good machine it was. I bought my first GS after seeing it on Williams website and doing the deal over the Phone and having it delivered, I bought me second GS in the same way, and I've just bought my Third GS after visiting Williams and not managing to strike a deal on the day but got the deal I wanted on the phone over the course of a few days later. So in a few days I'll have a 23 plate GS Rallye in my garage :-D

Ps. I've never really even thought about riding anything else since owning a GS, There's nothing that even comes close :)

My Xmax300 Scooter puts a smile on my face everytime I ride though :-D
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
sakm
Administrator
Bike Model and Year: 2016 R1200RT
Has liked: 436 times
Been liked: 388 times
Great Britain

Post by sakm »

simbo wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 9:04 pm Ps. I've never really even thought about riding anything else since owning a GS, There's nothing that even comes close :)
Not even an RT..............

:-D
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 96 times
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

sakm wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 9:20 pm Not even an RT..............

:-D
The RT came a close 2nd. It's a brilliant bike without doubt! I just don't think it has the excitement/lightness/nimbleness/roominess or fun factor of the GS. Yes, it has great weather protection, but going on holiday and Sunday rides in late 20's degrees, who needs weather protection?
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
sakm
Administrator
Bike Model and Year: 2016 R1200RT
Has liked: 436 times
Been liked: 388 times
Great Britain

Post by sakm »

simbo wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 9:38 pm The RT came a close 2nd. It's a brilliant bike without doubt! I just don't think it has the excitement/lightness/nimbleness/roominess or fun factor of the GS. Yes, it has great weather protection, but going on holiday and Sunday rides in late 20's degrees, who needs weather protection?
Never ridden a GS so can't compare the two but the GS is what I wanted but the short arse who climbs on the back with me claims she couldn't get on one :roll:

I have to say though the RT is the best handling bike I have owned and feels light and nimble compared to some I have had.

As for the weather protection you can regulate that with the screen but my hands do get hot in summer! There is times I ride with my hands out to cool them down :lol:
Doctor T
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 878 times
Been liked: 230 times
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

The only time i don't like my RT is when the weather is baking and i look at all the naked bikes. Riding in France a couple of years back i had to remove the screen just to stop me from overheating.
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.
Steve398
Isle of Wight

Post by Steve398 »

I’ve found that the BMW sports screen gives me plenty of breeze in the hot temps, but fully raised also gives me some wind protection as well.
Fortunately I bought it 2nd hand and so didn’t have to bear the brunt of the full price!
Marvin2Shoes
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011 MOD
Has liked: 76 times
Been liked: 17 times
Australia

Post by Marvin2Shoes »

I bought my RT after a very comprehensive test ride. Hundreds of kilometres later the ABS fault surfaces. Then a second time after about 1200kms. At this point I purchased a motoscan and discovered that a pressure sensor fault in ABS unit means buying a new ABS unit + installation. With the benefit of hindsight I wish I had never bought it.
2011 R1200RT Highly Modified
Steve398
Isle of Wight

Post by Steve398 »

Marvin2Shoes wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 1:02 am I bought my RT after a very comprehensive test ride. Hundreds of kilometres later the ABS fault surfaces. Then a second time after about 1200kms. At this point I purchased a motoscan and discovered that a pressure sensor fault in ABS unit means buying a new ABS unit + installation. With the benefit of hindsight I wish I had never bought it.
That’s bad luck, but nothing that a test ride/blind purchase would have revealed.
My point in starting the thread was my surprise that someone would spend almost £7000 on a completely new bike that he’d never seen in the flesh, sat on in a showroom, or seen reviewed.
I’ve ridden many bikes in my motorcycling life, some I’ve loved and others not so much.
In my search for a successor to the Pan 1300, I needed a long distance tourer that had to achieve a combination of comfort for the two of us, reliability(?), be fun to ride, and functional. I test rode about 12 bikes over 3 years before I settled on the RT LC as it was the only one that ticked all the boxes. There was nothing particularly wrong with any of the others (including a GS Simbo 🤣) but not right for us. I honestly believe I couldn’t have achieved that without test rides, particularly as my wife also had to like the seating position/comfort levels of the pillion seat.
I accept that my friend Gerry swaps his bikes every year and rarely does any great mileage on them, so it’s perhaps not a big thing if he picks one he doesn’t like. I had the ST1300 eleven years and don’t plan to change the RT unless circumstances force me.
Last edited by Steve398 on Thu Apr 27, 2023 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.