Anyone bought a bike without a test ride

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
ds99

Re: Anyone bought a bike without a test ride

Post by ds99 »

I would buy a bike for under £2,000 without a test ride, if I had previously sat on one, or had some other knowledge of it, or safe in the knowledge I could sell it on easily. But... for anything over that I would need to ride the bike itself (or the same model) first, even just for a lap around the block.

Even if I was looking at a newer style RT I would need a test ride as I am quite tall and I have read the newer RTs feel a bit more cramped, which wouldn't suit me, even my 2007 RT is slightly cramped for me.
Jggpossum
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2023
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 11 times
Australia

Post by Jggpossum »

Bought both my F900XR and now R1250RT without a test ride. But did a lot of research before both.

I find that the first time I ride a new bike it is like partially learning to ride again and my mind is (and should be) focused on the basics of operating controls that are in unfamiliar positions and feeling the balance and performance of the bike. I slightly regress from being able to ride unconsciously competently to riding consciously competently. So it is harder to form anything other than those first impressions.

When I rode my new RT home last week it felt so different to the 900XR that I wasn't sure I had made the right decision. Yesterday took it on a 400km ride through twisties and mountain pass and motorway and by end I was riding it unconsciously competently and I was so happy to have bought it. So much better than the XR and the extra weight was not at all noticeable in fact I found it more accurate and nimble through curves.

If I had taken it for a short test ride I might have opted out.
burridge01
Bike Model and Year: Modified "16" R1200RT
Been liked: 190 times
Great Britain

Post by burridge01 »

Bought my RT from Bath motorcycles, unseen and obviously not ridden.I had only ever test ridden a K1600 and had never cocked me leg over an RT.The deal was done over the phone and a week later this was dropped off.

Have to say they did me a cracking deal that nobody else could match and I was/am very happy with the bike.
I also bought my GSF1250 without taking it for a test ride but I did go and see it.

Both bikes are great in there own way :thumb:
EasyRider
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: 2019 R1250RT LE
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 126 times
Wales

Post by EasyRider »

Bought my Gen2 Hayabusa unseen from up north. Had only seen photos of the bike.
Same now with the RT. Only photos and a couple of phone calls.
But would only do that from a dealer.
Dont Ride Faster, Than Your Angle Can Fly. :thumb:
Doctor T
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 877 times
Been liked: 230 times
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

Bought a Himalayan brand new without a test ride. Only saw pictures of my RT before it was delivered. It was a cheap trade bike so i did not expect a mint bike. The dealer was honest with me telling me every minus bit with it which was mostly the paint on the wheels, battery and tyres.
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.
CaseyK
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2008
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 2 times
Netherlands

Post by CaseyK »

Bought my 2009 R1200RT with 18K miles without test ride. I did go look at it, heard it run and spoke at length with the owner. That was good enough for me. Picking it up in 15 minutes so we'll find out today if this was a good purchase or not. Yes, long test ride would have been better.
akroguy
Bike Model and Year: 2017 R1200 RT
Been liked: 1 time
United States of America

Post by akroguy »

Bought my '17 RT with one ride. Was doing 95mph, looked at the speedo and thought I was only at maybe 65. Sold! Freakin' awesome bike.

I bought my '18 Royal Enfield Classic 500 (in cool looking battle green) off a few pics and a short video of it idling from a marketplace seller a state away. It was having shifting problems according to the seller, but after talking, put the puzzle together in my head as to what might be the issue. All it took was a spacer washer inside one of the cases to firm up the shifter arm engagement at the fork. We pushed the bike up into my truck bed and drove it home. Got it for a steal with only 1300 miles on it and it's a complete blast to ride.

Most bikes really aren't that big of a deal to get operational and many sellers these days are completely incapable of fixing even the simplest of issues.

Make that work for you. $$.
exportman
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2023
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 40 times
Great Britain

Post by exportman »

Bought my 2023 RT without a test ride but I had been riding the 2016 since new so I'm not sure that really counts
CaseyK
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2008
Has liked: 3 times
Netherlands

Post by CaseyK »

Quick follow up, have been riding the 2008 RT I picked up some weeks ago, including on a 120 mile trip to LA, and it's exceeded my expectations, it seems close to perfect, with 18k miles. So I was lucky since I did not test ride it.
DaveCly
Bike Model and Year: RT1200 Iconic
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 5 times
Great Britain

Post by DaveCly »

Good job I didn’t have a test ride back in 2014, are I wouldn’t have bought one, I picked a TC up and the day after set out to tour Wales 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿 1100 miles and week later, I wasn’t convinced I’d done the right thing!
18 months and 17000 miles later, I was hooked and traded it in for the RTLC Iconic which I still have 😎
I must have 80k on RT’s with my own and Blood Bikes, there isn’t a better bike despite what Sim says 😂
Ed Harley
Bike Model and Year: 2013 R1200RT
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 50 times
Finland

Post by Ed Harley »

I bought my earlier -14 RT without test ride - it was winter. Knew BMWs from earlier experiences but that low mileage R1200RT was new experience. I was not disappointed. 8-)
1983 GS1000G | 1984 GSX1100EF | 1997 FLHR | 2016 FLSTC | Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200 XRT
RT in BC
Canada

Post by RT in BC »

Of course, the corollary to this is, "Would you let a stranger test ride your bike"? For every time an actual transaction is made, there would be likely (hopefully) multiple inquiries about a particular mc for sale. If an RT were to be offered for sale, would the seller let anyone who came by take it for a spin?
When I attempted to sell my '13 RT last year (no sale resulted) the prospective buyer turned up on a Honda of somewhat similar size, and he took my bike for a good test ride, but I would not let "just anyone" take my bike out. In my case, the test rider was local, and I knew where he lived and worked, and we had a couple of acquaintances in common. nb.; He basically agreed to buy my bike, at the asking price, stating that he thought that it was perfect for him, but apparently when he mentioned it to his wife there was disagreement. '13 RT, 12,000 kms, non-ESA, btw. Now sleeping in -10 degree winter.

I guess my point is, that yes, it would be reasonable to buy a machine without a test ride.

Cheers from the colonies
kwadge
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT LE
Been liked: 3 times
Great Britain

Post by kwadge »

I have to confess I bought my 1250RT without a test ride. 2020 with 3k on the clock. The problem was I live in Durham and the bike came from Ocean BMW in Cornwall. I made enquiries and spoke at length to the sales staff. They did a good deal on my Pan, delivered the BMW and took away the Pan. That was last May and all is good in the world, apart from the front manifold being replaced £1300, thank god for warranty!!
davidr8
Has liked: 6 times
Canada

Post by davidr8 »

Yes, on Saturday I bought a 2013 R1200RT without a test ride.
If your internet has been slow over the past six months it's because I was burning up the web researching :lol:
James Horsburgh
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2024
Been liked: 1 time
Australia

Post by James Horsburgh »

Yes.
I purchased my R1250RT new without having even seen one or real up close. I still own a R1200RT 2007 and previously owned a R1100RT back when they were the cats whiskers. Im a bit of an RT Fan.
R1250RT R1200RT R100RS (Previously now sold: R1100RT R60/6)