Electric windshield adjustment

Got any questions about the BMW's R1200RT/R1250RT's onboard audio, Bluetooth or the Electrical system?
RandyN
Bike Model and Year: 1200RT 2005
Has liked: 1 time
Canada

Electric windshield adjustment

Post by RandyN »

I’ve just purchased a 2006 R1200 RT. The previous owner had replaced the windshield servo motor because the windshield was not coming full height. With the motor replacement, it is still doing the same thing. I have taken it apart and tried to troubleshoot it with both motors. I adjusted the linkage to the all the way up position and ran the motor to the limit switch in the up position. And then reassembled the linkage and motor and tried it. It came down to the stop, but then came back up only to the same spot it had previously, which is about 3/4 of the total travel. I checked the gear and the worm, and they all look good. I swapped the motors, and did the same thing, and it performs exactly the same way. I ran the motor without the linkage, and it will turn up to a limit stop. When I run it down the first couple rotations, it will stop when I let go of the selector switch. If I wait too long, it just keeps running until I shut the key off

I’m thinking this is not a motor problem, but perhaps a relay problem. I don’t know enough about the wiring schematics and I’m looking for some input or feedback from anybody who has experienced this.
I hope I have explained this clearly.

Thanks.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Re: Electric windshield adjustment

Post by David. »

RandyN wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 5:25 amWhen I run it down the first couple rotations, it will stop when I let go of the selector switch. If I wait too long, it just keeps running until I shut the key off.
Don't know if this is relevant or not but the only issue I have experienced with the electric windshield is as follows.

On a 2010 Camhead, the bike had been stood out overnight in heavy rain. The next day, when riding along, the windshield would lower itself without me touching the button on the handlebar switch. I put it down to water getting into the switch. Without any remedial action, the problem went away and I didn't have any further issues with the windshield. The switches on Camheads are rather flaky, not sure if the Hexheads suffer from the same problems.
RandyN
Bike Model and Year: 1200RT 2005
Has liked: 1 time
Canada

Post by RandyN »

I cycled the switch several times and finally got it to quit running on in the down position. When I go to switch, the motor would stop. I reassembled the windshield actuator with the windshield, just shy of the full up position in the motor in the full up position I cycled several times before reinstalling on the motorcycle and it worked perfectly. I put everything back together and cycled the windshield and it promptly went all the way down and would only come back up to the three-quarter position.

I searched other forms for other Beamers with windshield issues, and it sounds like it may be related to the computer. I’m gonna leave it as is for the summer and check it out later on.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

RandyN wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 3:05 amI searched other forms for other Beamers with windshield issues, and it sounds like it may be related to the computer.
As you say, it does sound like it could be a problem with the central electronics unit (computer) that needs resetting/calibrating.