headlight question

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
ds99

headlight question

Post by ds99 »

2007 R1200RT

one of my headlight bulbs blew recently and I changed it.

since then I have noticed that when on "dip" the new bulb is pointing in a slightly different direction to the other, this gives the impression that one side is brighter than the other

when I look at the headlight the new bulb seems to point more downwards than the other older bulb

i am sure i installed the new bulb correctly, but it's definitely pointing in a different direction. it's hard to see but here is the a photo. you can see the left bulb (as you view the photo) is pointing more downwards more than the other bulb

has anyone else got this? is this normal??

photo:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/JMmLQtqQwR4tsDCR8
Last edited by ds99 on Tue May 09, 2023 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doctor T
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 878 times
Been liked: 230 times
Great Britain

Re: headlight question

Post by Doctor T »

I found the same changing mine a few weeks back. You can tell if it's seated correctly by looking at the bulb from the front. The bulb must sit in the center of the aperture. Slightly off center puts the beams out. Once the 3 prongs on the bulb is in place, wiggle the bulb to seat the bulb correctly.
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.
ds99

Post by ds99 »

ok ta. these bulbs are such a giant pain to change. i am going to have to dismantle the whole front end
Last edited by ds99 on Wed May 10, 2023 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doctor T
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 878 times
Been liked: 230 times
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

Easy way. Just remove the housing around the dash clocks
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.
ds99

Post by ds99 »

well, i tried to "re-seat" this bulb and i could not get to point straight. i don't know what's up with it
Jeff_M
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT SE 2009
Been liked: 1 time
Australia

Post by Jeff_M »

For those not wanting to dismantle the front, yet finding globe replacement almost impossible, I found a solution.

You'll need one or two "special" tools. The first is a piece of 13mm poly pipe, the sort used in garden irrigation. A piece around 300mm in length is great. All you need to do is squeeze the end of the tube a little and insert the globe (i.e. terminals go in the tube). The tube will hold it. Before positioning the globe in the headlamp assembly, mark the front metal face of the globe (to indicate top) with a marker pen so that you can see it through the headlight. You'll be able to guide it in, align the tabs and hold it in place with little problem.

The second tool is a long bladed flat screwdriver. I used an angle grinder and cut a small slot in the centre of the blade. When positioned over the spring clips, there shouldn't be any slippage. Those with very long fingers might achieve the re-clipping without this tool, others will need it. Keep light pressure on the poly pipe to make sure the globe stays where it should while replacing the spring clips.

Oh, and if you have one of those tiny cameras that you can position in there without it being in the way of hands or tools, being able to see what you're doing on a phone screen is, I'm sure, fantastic. I didn't have such kit, but the job was only a bit more difficult. My issue was RHS, which I believe is more space restricted than the left.

Finally: BMW - why did you make this everyday maintenance task so difficult?
ds99

Post by ds99 »

yes, i ended up using a short length of garden hose to hold the bulb in place, but i still had to remove the screen and speedo surround to gain more access

an utter pain in the arse for such an everyday task
Steve398
Bike Model and Year: R1200RTLC, 2018
Has liked: 261 times
Been liked: 218 times
Isle of Wight

Post by Steve398 »

Isn’t it though? Although I shuddered at the price I had the stock bulbs replaced by Cyclops LED’s so hopefully it’ll be years before I have to get them done again.
sakm
Administrator
Bike Model and Year: 2016 R1200RT
Has liked: 436 times
Been liked: 388 times
Great Britain

Post by sakm »

ds99 wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 3:59 pm
an utter pain in the arse for such an everyday task
I wouldn't say it was an everyday task!
Steve398
Bike Model and Year: R1200RTLC, 2018
Has liked: 261 times
Been liked: 218 times
Isle of Wight

Post by Steve398 »

sakm wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 6:12 pm I wouldn't say it was an everyday task!
Thank God!