03/06/23 Northern Monkeys - Central Meet

Want to arrange a local meet or ride out with like minded people? Then please post about it in this section with all the details and dates.

What time would you like to meet at the NCMM

1pm for Lunch
100%
3pm for afternoon tea
No votes

Total votes: 2

David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

03/06/23 Northern Monkeys - Central Meet

Post by David. »

With Northern Monkeys now coming from North, South, East & West, how about a central meet. The National Coal Mining Museum between Huddersfield & Wakefield looks favourable although the furthest from the North. Could have a circular ride into the Peak District from and back to the NCMM or everyone just do a scenic route for themselves to the NCMM and back home. Would this be of any interest and could we try and do it one Sunday in June.

Last edited by David. on Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Re: Northern Monkeys - Central Meet

Post by David. »

I think for Markus & I, a scenic route from home to the NCMM would be most preferable. Our ETA would be 1pm, have lunch then head back home.
scunny12
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: 1200RT LE 2015
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 31 times
Great Britain

Post by scunny12 »

Makes sense to have a central rendezvous point. If my knees are up to it, I may meet you all there. :thumb:
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

scunny12 wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 4:51 pmIf my knees are up to it, I may meet you all there.
If you need it Chris, it's an easy motorway ride for you. How about we pencil in Sunday 4th June, then if necessary, we have other options in the month.
k9doc
Bike Model and Year: 2013 TC 90th Anniversary Edition
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times
Great Britain

Post by k9doc »

How's about meeting up at the NCMM @ around 1500 for a brew and debrief ;) (hot drinks and snacks until 1645) and then home for 1700 ish.

Scenic rides, breakfasts, brews and fag breaks done in the morning, early afto, then brew and banter and then a blast home by the swiftest route to clean out the pipes.

Peak District end would mean leaving Grindleford Station after a hearty breakfast by 1030. 120 miles roughly 3.5 to 4 hours saddle time (generous estimate) plus extra fag breaks should get us to NCMM for 1500 ish.

Route to follow if any interest.

Also looking at a blast around the Lincolnshire Wolds taking in Willingham Woods and some cracking Lincolnshire roads. Minimal traffic and plenty of sweepy swoopies. From Willingham Woods,heading for Louth and then NW through the middle of the Wolds to Caistor, Brigg, Scunny and Doncaster Services. Obviously drop off points to suit. Again will post a route if any interest.
Chris
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

From the northern Teesside area, Markus & I would be taking a scenic route in both directions. The riding time each way is 2.5 hours plus a 30 min P&T stop halfway. Leaving Exelby Services Southbound on the A19 at 10am, would see us arriving at the NCMM by 1pm for lunch.

Would the NCMM work as a central lunchtime break for anyone else.
k9doc
Great Britain

Post by k9doc »

David. wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 6:51 pm From the northern Teesside area, Markus & I would be taking a scenic route in both directions. The riding time each way is 2.5 hours plus a 30 min P&T stop halfway. Leaving Exelby Services Southbound on the A19 at 10am, would see us arriving at the NCMM by 1pm for lunch.

Set in stone is it?
Chris
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

The options on offer are meet for lunch at 1pm or afternoon tea at 3pm. I'll add a poll to canvas opinions.

Markus is not a forum member therefore cannot vote but after speaking to him, it's a +1 for a 1pm lunchtime meet.
k9doc
Great Britain

Post by k9doc »

David. wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 7:16 pm The options on offer are meet for lunch at 1pm or afternoon tea at 3pm. I'll add a poll to canvas opinions.

Markus is not a forum member therefore cannot vote but after speaking to him, it's a +1 for a 1pm lunchtime meet.
The thing is, the meet up and depart would need to be in the NW Peak District, maybe Castleton. A fully loaded depart @ 1030 allowing for multiple fag breaks would lead to a PD ride confined mainly to the Northern Dark Peak, which I suspect most folks have done to death, in order to meet the deadline at the NCMM.
A longer Peak District ride would allow the more southern, more picturesque (although less dramatic) White Peak to be explored and still allow time for a brew and banter @ the NCMM. Thank you.

PS Can you give proof that Markus did indeed vote +1 after confirming that he does not have said vote.
Chris
k9doc
Great Britain

Post by k9doc »

David. wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 7:03 am Could have a circular ride into the Peak District from and back to the NCMM
Maybe an independant and additional ride around the Peak District, omitting the NCMM, would be the way to go thus avoiding complicating the plan and spoiling anyone's chips.
Chris
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

I've asked Markus to email me his choice, I'll copy and paste his reply for all to see.
k9doc
Great Britain

Post by k9doc »

David. wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 8:25 pm I've asked Markus to email me his choice, I'll copy and paste his reply for all to see.
How much weight does a 'choice' carry in the big scheme? :?
Chris
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Perhaps the way forward is to have more than one event on different dates.

1) A ride in lunchtime meet up at the NCMM - David provisionally Sunday 4th June 2023.

2) A ride out around the Peak District from Grindleford/Castleton - Chris (k9doc).

3) A ride out around the Lincolnshire Wolds - Chris (k9doc).
Last edited by David. on Mon May 08, 2023 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
k9doc
Great Britain

Post by k9doc »

David. wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 8:56 pm Perhaps the way forward is to have more than one event on different dates.

1) A ride in lunchtime meet up at the NCMM - David.

2) A ride out around the Peak District from Grindleford/Castleton - Chris (k9doc).

3) A ride around the Lincolnshire Wolds - Chris (k9doc).
:thumb: +1 :cheers:
Chris
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

David. wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 8:25 pmI've asked Markus to email me his choice, I'll copy and paste his reply for all to see.