Noise from front end

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
audibob2
Bike Model and Year: 2015 R1200rt
Been liked: 14 times
Great Britain

Noise from front end

Post by audibob2 »

My 2015 r1200rt is a joy to ride, but lately there is a really harsh level of noise from the front end. This generally happens above 60mph.
The noise is really obvious when leaning over the front of the bike.
The normal amount of noise whilst riding is acceptable, obviously the fairing can amplify sounds, but some times it gets a lot louder, and then
the sound level returns to normal.
The recent 12000 mile service made no difference.
There is a little slap from the clutch in neutral, this goes away once the clutch lever is pulled. Whether this noise is the cause , I have no idea.
I am aware of recalls for the clutch slave cylinder, but I cannot see how this would make the noise. I know some people have had their
clutch basket changed due to incorrect clearances.
I have noticed a regular missfire from the back end. I plugged in my gs911, and hey ho, no faults. How do I test the coil packs?
I also removed the exhaust flapper valve cover and found no fault with it.
Anyone suffered the same?
Being a very big twin I accept a certain amount of hub bub.... but It does get louder some times....really anoying
Doctor T
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 878 times
Been liked: 230 times
Great Britain

Re: Noise from front end

Post by Doctor T »

Without hearing the noise it could be anything. Coming from the front end it could be a few things. Wheel bearing, Tyre noise. Road surface. This changes with tyre wear
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.
audibob2
Great Britain

Post by audibob2 »

The road surface did not change and the noise disappeared when I pulled the clutch and coasted the motor.

It comes from the clutch area , the difference in noise levels is really noticeable.

I may end up taking the bike to Pidcocks BMW in the east midlands to ask them if my bike is due a recall for the clutch slave cylinder, and to check

out the misfire I can feel through the exhaust. Bring More Wallet Time.
audibob2
Great Britain

Post by audibob2 »

I have noticed that when I move the bike around the garage, there is a clunk from the front when I grab the front brake and push the bike forward.

At first I thought it was the pads moving in the calipers, but it does it when the brakes are locked on.

Due to not having "normal" forks, how do I check the head bearings and the lower ball joint. I did raise the front , and put a pry bar under the

tyre, but could not feel any play . What is the correct procedure for this ?

Perhaps the noise I hear is coming from the "knock" and is transmitting via normal vibrations.

I will try and persuade my wife to video it and post it.

Bob
sakm
Administrator
Bike Model and Year: 2016 R1200RT
Has liked: 436 times
Been liked: 388 times
Great Britain

Post by sakm »

More than likely the floating brake discs

Grab one and move it back and forth
audibob2
Great Britain

Post by audibob2 »

Thanks SAKM.

My first time with this type of disc. Wonder how many others have been caught out with this, thinking the worst.

What is the reason for the" floating " disc? The brakes still astonish me, so little effort for a lot of braking power.

At some point I will take the bike to either BMW Doncaster or Long Eaton for a clutch check .

Thanks .

Bob
sakm
Administrator
Bike Model and Year: 2016 R1200RT
Has liked: 436 times
Been liked: 388 times
Great Britain

Post by sakm »

They allow the discs to expand and contract with the heat to help them stop warping