WiFi Phone Charging

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
Jggpossum
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2023
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 11 times
Australia

WiFi Phone Charging

Post by Jggpossum »

My 2023 R1250RT has a mobile phone compartment with WiFi charging capability. I assume this is new with the 2023 model as I haven’t seen much discussion.

Typical BMW. Great idea - woeful implementation.

My iPhone 14 pro only just fits in the compartment with about 3mm to spare so anyone with a pro max or one of those larger Samsung android phones forget about trying.

It doesn’t charge the phone and all I get is intermittent (every 15-30 secs) chimes through my helmet speakers which I’m sure is a message that charging is failing to start correctly. Very annoying and no way to switch off other than removing phone from compartment.

Have tried putting phone in top first and bottom first and makes no difference. Removed cover - makes no difference.

I suspect the problem is the slightly protruding lenses on the rear side of the phone - a feature that is becoming more common these days. My phone charges wirelessly just fine on other stands I have at home but not in the bike compartment.

The compartment also conveniently has a USB connection for cable charging, but of course in usual BMW fashion that doesn’t work either because you need extra clearance to fit the cable in the end of the phone. Only the smallest of phones would fit with a cable inserted in the bottom.

Has anyone had this same issue and found a solution.
Tenequip
Bike Model and Year: 2022 R1250RT
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times
United States of America

Re: WiFi Phone Charging

Post by Tenequip »

I have a 2022 RT and it charges my phone in the compartment or in my pocket. I think your problem is settings on the phone or the bike.
Tenequip
Jggpossum
Australia

Post by Jggpossum »

That’s great. What size is your phone and does it have protruding lenses on the back. Obviously the compartment will work with certain phones and the challenge is to identify those that work and those that don’t. It isn’t a setting issue.

This compartment is not designed for all phones. If BMW were to claim it works with “most” phones that might seem reasonable. I suspect it works with “some” phones and maybe even “some smaller phones”.

You say it charges in your pocket? Now that’s interesting. 🤨
jesim1
Bike Model and Year: R1250RTLE 2022
Has liked: 50 times
Been liked: 27 times
Great Britain

Post by jesim1 »

Yes, its a pain, but I can fit my iPhone 14 pro max in it - just, and you have to have it face up and camera end in first, I think?

Anyway, yes, it does work, but the charging is slow, it basically just charges enough to stop the sat nav flattening your phone :cheers:

Make sure you remove the flap from the charger area, and the case from your phone, I don't use the lock function on the holder, so perhaps yours is pushing it up slightly from the charger?
Jggpossum
Australia

Post by Jggpossum »

Thanks good advice. I tried removing the case again and the compartment lifting tab and yes it does charge when inserted top down only. The process of removing the case is too tedious for me plus the fiddly insertion and removal means I am more likely to drop the phone when doing it.

Have ordered mirror adapter for brake/clutch handle bar clamp and it allows mounting ball, clamp and ultimately quadlock wireless charging head at top. These work great and it also means I can detach top ball mount easily and have either phone or GoPro on the mount. Or maybe later even a Garmin. I will also use the phone for navigation as at this point the bike system drops out too often - they haven’t nailed WiFi stability yet.
SAL
Bike Model and Year: 2021 R1250RT/2016 R1200GS
United States of America

Post by SAL »

I have a 21 RT just purchased with approximately 600 miles and still under warranty. I have I phone 12 which charges everyday on my Mophie induction charger pad without issue. I have charged it on friends' automobile induction chargers as well.
When I place the phone on the RT induction charger I get green light for approximately 10 seconds before it begins blinking yellow. I have tried to charge with cover on/off, and via placing bottom in first and top in first. It makes no difference, hot or cold.
Has someone gone to dealer with a warranty claim on this and if so what was the outcome.
Thanks.
SAL.
Jggpossum
Australia

Post by Jggpossum »

I think this is a limitation of the charging bay rather than a fault. I had virtually no success with my iPhone 14 pro until I did all of the following.

1 removed the case
2 removed the rubber and nylon lifting strap at the top of the compartment.
3 inserted the phone topdown on the left side of the compartment.

I then got a green light that stayed on.

Prior to that I only ever got green light for 10 seconds then flashing amber. This error also seems to generate an error sound “dunk” through my connected headset and it repeats every 30 sec.
Last edited by Jggpossum on Thu May 25, 2023 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
jesim1
Bike Model and Year: R1250RTLE 2022
Has liked: 50 times
Been liked: 27 times
Great Britain

Post by jesim1 »

Jggpossum wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 6:42 am I think this is a limitation of the charging bay rather than a fault. I had virtually no success with my iPhone 14 pro until I did all of the following.

1 removed the case
2 removed the rubber and nylon lifting strap at the top of the compartment.
3 inserted the phone topdown on the left side of the compartment.

I then got a green light that stayed on.

Prior to that I only ever got green light for 10 seconds then flashing amber. This error also seems to generate an error sound “dunk” through my connected headset and it repeats every 30 sec.
^^^ Me too :cheers:
Randyjaco
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2017
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 37 times
United States of America

Post by Randyjaco »

Is there such an animal as WiFi charging? I presume you are talking about wireless charging.
Lordwanswell
Bike Model and Year: BMW K1300GT
Been liked: 3 times
Great Britain

Post by Lordwanswell »

Yes, I have a new 1250RT LE and the small phone compartment is very annoying. I use my old Samsung A5 without a simcard now for navigation. I bought a wireless charging adapter for it and it charges enough to keep I topped up (with no case). I could put a payg sim in if I want to use for phone calls.
Michaeltaylor65
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT
Great Britain

Post by Michaeltaylor65 »

I’ll try the “removal of the strap” and try and wedge my iPhone 14,into it but so far it won’t charge, you would think with the range of phones out there they might have given some thought to be able to modify it inside to fit different phones.
dmreeves
Bike Model and Year: 2016
Been liked: 1 time
United States of America

Post by dmreeves »

Tenequip wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 3:58 am I have a 2022 RT and it charges my phone in the compartment or in my pocket. I think your problem is settings on the phone or the bike.
Tenequip
Advise on the pocket charging. I have a 2023 RT. Terrible execution from a company that can not supply an accurate speedometer but specs tire pressures to the tenth……..
Doctor T
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 877 times
Been liked: 230 times
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

my speedo is accurate.
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.