Does the GPS/TFT System Accept MyRoute-app Routes?

Having problems with the BMW Navigator V VI or the TFT display?
sgkramer
Has liked: 1 time
United States of America

Does the GPS/TFT System Accept MyRoute-app Routes?

Post by sgkramer »

I am considering going from my Harley-Davidson Road Glide Special to the R1250RT. One thing I am very happy with regarding the Harley is that I can use the very robust MyRoute-app software to plan my routes, and the bike's Boom Box GTS will accept the route without any issues. I am finding mixed information on YouTube and Google about the R1250RT GPS system. Is there a GPS as part of the system, or does the bike rely on the rider's smart phone or external GPS unit; and also my original question, can I load a MyRoute-app file.

This is my first post. Sorry if questions like this have been asked in the past.
exportman
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2023
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 40 times
Great Britain

Re: Does the GPS/TFT System Accept MyRoute-app Routes?

Post by exportman »

Hi

Yes you can import MyRouteApp GPX files I do it regularly.
Irtax
Bike Model and Year: 2022 R1250RT
Been liked: 1 time
United States of America

Post by Irtax »

The R1250RT requires a smartphone for GPS/Mapping and navigation.

You can import GPX files from MyRouteApp into the BMW Connected app. BMW uses Tom Tom to navigate, and the actual route between waypoints may differ slightly from what you created in MRA depending on your MRA settings, and routing will also depend on your app settings (Fast, Efficient, Shortest, Winding, Avoids, etc).

One other thing to consider is if your phone fits in the bike's charging compartment. My phone is too big and the battery drain is significant when connected to the bike. I ended up getting a smaller second phone to keep on the bike, but installing a charging mount for my normal phone was an option as well. I don't have a data plan for the bike phone and just pre-download maps, gpx files, music, etc. I use it mainly as a music/podcast device with the maps/navigation as a secondary feature. BMW's navigation is fine, but I have a Garmin Zumo XT that I share between a couple bikes and an old jeep for primary navigation so I get the same navigation interface no matter which vehicle I am using.

I use BBMW's navigation for shorter rides where I don't bother with my Garmin, and have good results. Especially after more recent TFT and app updates improved the experience, I would have no qualms about using the BMW app in place of the Garmin for longer rides or trips.
Peter Baker
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 6 times
Great Britain

Post by Peter Baker »

Depends which 1250:-) early (non TFT) will have/require a dedicated GPS device which will take .GPX files. If it is the later (widescreen TFT) then @Irtax comment is spot on...

BMW released a yoke mount for the later TFT 1250s to allow you to fit a dedicated Navi (my preferred option) as an alternative to the TFT/Mobile phone option - wonder why that was:-)

Regards, Peter
jesim1
Bike Model and Year: R1250RTLE 2022
Has liked: 50 times
Been liked: 28 times
Great Britain

Post by jesim1 »

Most answers above, the biggest pain to me is when getting off for say fuel, the bike loses it's connection to the maps on your phone app when the ignition is off, so you have to get it to reconnect to get it going again. It just takes a couple of minuets to connect it, but surely BMW could get the thing to auto connect?
sakm
Administrator
Bike Model and Year: 2016 R1200RT
Has liked: 436 times
Been liked: 388 times
Great Britain

Post by sakm »

jesim1 wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 8:35 pm Most answers above, the biggest pain to me is when getting off for say fuel, the bike loses it's connection to the maps on your phone app when the ignition is off, so you have to get it to reconnect to get it going again. It just takes a couple of minuets to connect it, but surely BMW could get the thing to auto connect?
Maybe thats what your 6 hour update was?
Jggpossum
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 11 times
Australia

Post by Jggpossum »

Seems others are having more success than me.

I have a 2023 model R1250RT with the TFT navigation and inbuilt phone wireless charging compartment. The compartment only just big enough for my iPhone 14 Pro but more disappointing that I have to remove my phone case otherwise it won’t charge. I think the extra 1mm of the case thickness makes the gap too wide for the inbuilt wireless charger.

Even more importantly I have serious connection stability issues.

At startup the TFT system has to establish a Bluetooth connection to the iPhone to allow for ride data recording, speed limit info on TFT, and audio connections. The connected app then tries to establish a WiFi connection to the iPhone. Unfortunately this connection does not happen automatically, despite the auto join option being selected in the iPhone wifi, so I have to go into iPhone settings and select the TFT wifi as the connection. Nav Maps then starts on the connected app and Nav and map appears on the TFT.

If the iPhone leaves the connected app screen while in map mode then maps and Nav disappear from the TFT so I have to be super careful inserting the iPhone into the charging compartment that I don’t accidentally close that screen.

Now it’s all set for ride. But for me I almost always get the map disappearing from the TFT after a short period of riding like 10 minutes. It seems that the likely problem is loss of WiFi connection between phone and TFT. I have seen online reviews where others have exactly the same ongoing issues.

Because of the fiddling involved in getting Nav working to the TFT again it makes the option of pulling up and resetting almost pointless.

And if it is working when I stop for fuel then yes I have to go through the same connection process again which of course involves removing the iPhone from the compartment. Can anyone suggest a way to stop the engine but leave the TFT active?

It would seem that some have got theirs working fine but I wonder what model, software version, phone type or other actions they are taking.

Any help very welcome.
jesim1
Great Britain

Post by jesim1 »

Jggpossum wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 11:10 pm And if it is working when I stop for fuel then yes I have to go through the same connection process again which of course involves removing the iPhone from the compartment. Can anyone suggest a way to stop the engine but leave the TFT active?
You can use the kill switch to stop the bike, just don't turn off the ignition ;)
Jggpossum
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 11 times
Australia

Post by Jggpossum »

I have been reluctant to do that as I understand the kill switch is meant for emergency stops.

I watched a video where the reviewer got it to work properly for a 4 hour ride including auto restarting after a long stop. One of the things he stressed was that every item in the “permissions” options of the Connected App needs to be switched on. I had Contacts switched off so have now switched on and will try again on next ride. He was using a Samsung android phone. I suspect iPhones are less reliable as this seems to be the case with numerous other devices I have read about.

Good video link below

Irtax
United States of America

Post by Irtax »

jesim1 wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 11:19 am You can use the kill switch to stop the bike, just don't turn off the ignition ;)
Unless you have keyless ignition. I have to turn off the ignition to unlock the fuel cap.
Irtax
United States of America

Post by Irtax »

Jggpossum wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 11:10 pm Seems others are having more success than me.

It would seem that some have got theirs working fine but I wonder what model, software version, phone type or other actions they are taking.
I believe Android phones tend to have more success with the TFT connection. I have used a Samsung Note 20 Ultra, a Samsung S23+ and a Google Pixel 5. All connect mostly reliably, but only the Pixel actually fits the ridiculously undersized compartment. Occasionally (one in 15-20 rides) something goes off the rails. Usually a shutdown and restart of the bike, phone, and headset resolves the wonkiness. I have had to, on a couple occasions, delete the pairings and re-pair the devices.
sakm
Administrator
Bike Model and Year: 2016 R1200RT
Has liked: 436 times
Been liked: 388 times
Great Britain

Post by sakm »

Irtax wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:20 pm Unless you have keyless ignition. I have to turn off the ignition to unlock the fuel cap.
You have to turn off the ignition with keyless too otherwise the cap won't release
jesim1
Great Britain

Post by jesim1 »

sakm wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 11:22 pm You have to turn off the ignition with keyless too otherwise the cap won't release
LOL - yep, I'd not tried it in a petrol station, but your right enough, you have to turn it off to open the petrol cap on the keyless version :lol:
Arek
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 7 times
Great Britain

Post by Arek »

All above answers are pretty much correct. I can share my experience with 21' RT with TFT
I even didn't bother to check if my phone fit compartment - it will not :-D So the plan from start was to use dedicated phone for bike, had one at home as a spare, so used that with PAYG SIM. Android works better than iOS. MRA is installed on the phone so I'm downloading GPX directly to phone memory, and then importing it to Connected app. Super easy, but have few tricks. I have MRA Gold, plan the route usually on computer using Gold TomTom settings. Exporting to the bike using HF BoomBox (pre2019) format, and importing only waypoints. That works flawlessly. Other import ways did not worked for me. BMW app have limit max 50 waypoints, so be sure you stay below that number.
As for long start on TFT, yes that's a bit pain. But I used to it. When I'm ready to go, I just start the ignition, and then starting put helmet and gloves on. By the time I finish, Nav on TFT is ready.

Experience during long travels. Last year Sweden, and this year just done Alps. Not mention Scotland and Wales for weekends. Nav works as expected. I can find POI's on the go using wonder wheel, etc.
Had three drops of big screen map (the WiFi reconnecting sign) during all my trips. The quick fix is switch to small map on side of the TFT, and then when map show, switch back to big one (I have coded quick access button for that). Usually take max 30 sec.

I can understand why some people hate it and installing a dedicated Satnav system. When you put effort to understand the TFT and familiarise with that, it is working quite well. Never failed for me. I just keep phone and app up to date. It was less stable at the beginning of use, but few TFT updates improved stuff.
Peter Baker
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 6 times
Great Britain

Post by Peter Baker »

A lot of good advice above, my observations. BMWs with TFTs seem to load all the "bike" stuff first which makes sense so you can actually start it up! There is a delay before the Bluetooth stack kicks off and then comes WiFi (if you have that option for maps). It can take a while, but mostly I find if you have all the connections set up correctly (see advice above re: Permissions) it does get there...

I load the BMW App on my android phone before going to the garage and lock the screen - this stop me forgetting to do so when I am getting on the bike :-) and keeps the App in the foreground so WiFi mpas work predictably.

Peter