General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
rory2112
Bike Model and Year: 2014 rt
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time
Great Britain

BMW Top Box

Post by rory2112 »

Evening, I hope you're all having a lovely bank holiday weekend.

I've just bought a BMW top box secondhand for my 2014 RT. I think it's from an older model. It seems to fit fine and locks into place but, there is about 10mm of what I'd call lateral play (or wobble for want of a better phrase) when i try and wobble it. It only moves side to side slightly not up and down.

My question is....for those with top boxes, is this slight play natural or should the box be fixed very firmly in place and not move at all. The side paniers have some play in them so I'm hoping that this is normal for the top box. Any advice would be great thanks. R
sakm
Administrator
Bike Model and Year: 2016 R1200RT
Has liked: 436 times
Been liked: 388 times
Great Britain

Re: BMW Top Box

Post by sakm »

Mine has very little play certainly not 10mm

I have seen pads for sale to stop play but not sure if thats for up and down or side to side :?
RTs4me
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 7 times
Great Britain

Post by RTs4me »

A 'little' play is normal, I think.

Check under the topbox, where the 'claws' expand to grip the rack on the bike. There are some ribbed rubber pads which engage with the rack. These pads can compress and harden with age. As Sakm states, replacement pads are available as a spare part.

Alternatively, as a temporary fix or to try for a better fit, tape some thin rubber strips (old inner tube?) to the rack or the pads.
Elkinell
Bike Model and Year: 2020 R1250RT
Has liked: 85 times
Been liked: 43 times
Great Britain

Post by Elkinell »

If you have any sticky back foam draught excluder strip knocking about in the garage try that ;)
jesim1
Bike Model and Year: R1250RTLE 2022
Has liked: 50 times
Been liked: 28 times
Great Britain

Post by jesim1 »

No play on mine at all, it's solid, I'd have a look at why it's moving and take steps to sort it out, spacers are probably fine, just make sure it's engaging properly :thumb: