Yorkshire Wolds June 25th

Want to arrange a local meet or ride out with like minded people? Then please post about it in this section with all the details and dates.
k9doc
Bike Model and Year: 2013 TC 90th Anniversary Edition
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times
Great Britain

Yorkshire Wolds June 25th

Post by k9doc »

Starting at the Motorist Hub just outside Sherburn in Elmet and finishing at Morrison's Selby.
95 miles, ~3 hrs riding time, excellent start point, 2 good stops with an extra fag break if required. (Credit to David. for the pit stops)
Great roads, good surfaces, minimal traffic, mostly national limit, always sunny in Lincolnshire (that's buggered it), and most importantly great company. What's not to like?
Details of route available to interested parties.
Would need to be leaving the Motorist Hub by 1030.

https://www.themotorist.com/
Chris
michaelc2710
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 22 times
Great Britain

Re: Yorkshire Wolds June 25th

Post by michaelc2710 »

Go on then Captain Mainwaring, count me in rain or shine.
Be good to catch up again :-D
k9doc
Great Britain

Post by k9doc »

michaelc2710 wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 2:01 pm Go on then Captain Mainwaring, count me in rain or shine.
Be good to catch up again :-D
Prefer Admiral Hornblower but I suppose the Northern Monkeys do a fair rendition of the chaos that is Dad's Army. So that's the Captain and Private Pike so far.............
Chris
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 96 times
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

k9doc wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 2:25 pm Prefer Admiral Hornblower but I suppose the Northern Monkeys do a fair rendition of the chaos that is Dad's Army. So that's the Captain and Private Pike so far.............
Sargent Wilson will be in attendance also. 👍
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
k9doc
Great Britain

Post by k9doc »

Good to see you younglings following the army theme as military discipline will apply for the entirety of the event. Do you boys good.
Chris
k9doc
Great Britain

Post by k9doc »

Back in my RT days we used to strap a self contained GPS device to the bike and away we went. I realise that things have moved on now. Does the all singing and dancing TFT unit act like a Carplay system (among other things) and mimic the BMW Connected App programme on your phone? If so, how do you load routes? Just wondering re route sharing. Am I right in thinking the BMW system uses the Tomtom algorithm producing *.itn type files?
Chris
simbo
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

k9doc wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 6:09 pm Back in my RT days we used to strap a self contained GPS device to the bike and away we went. I realise that things have moved on now. Does the all singing and dancing TFT unit act like a Carplay system (among other things) and mimic the BMW Connected App programme on your phone? If so, how do you load routes? Just wondering re route sharing. Am I right in thinking the BMW system uses the Tomtom algorithm producing *.itn type files?
No it doesn't mirror the phone screen, on the RT with TFT it displays the nav screen from the phone, on the GS it gives turn by turn instructions on the TFT or the Phone mounted in the cradle is used as a sat nav. either way, The connected ride app uses GPX files for routing and sharing.
k9doc
Great Britain

Post by k9doc »

^
Do you generate route files on a computer and then dump them into the phone?
I understood that the BMW nav app uses the Tomtom algorithm to convert the gpx file into a route file.
Just thinking out loud but a gpx file can be interpreted differently by garmin and tomtom as they use different algorithms.
The MRA app which I now mainly use can generate a gpx file using various algorithms to suit whatever unit they are being downloaded into. Hopefully then everyone follows the same route irrespective of device used.
Apologies if you already know this stuff.
Chris
sakm
Administrator
Bike Model and Year: 2016 R1200RT
Has liked: 436 times
Been liked: 388 times
Great Britain

Post by sakm »

So close!!

I might see if I can make this

Some good roads there too although sledmere to Garton I would give that a miss as its just a straight bumpy road

Unless you're just wanting to pay this monument a visit on your way past
PXL_20230407_141924653.jpg
PXL_20230407_141924653.jpg (253.43 KiB) Viewed 880 times
k9doc
Great Britain

Post by k9doc »

sakm wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:42 pm

Some good roads there too although sledmere to Garton I would give that a miss as its just a straight bumpy road

Thanks for that, can't beat local knowledge. Can see a couple of work arounds. Be good to meet if you can make it.
Chris
sakm
Administrator
Great Britain

Post by sakm »

k9doc wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:19 pm Thanks for that, can't beat local knowledge. Can see a couple of work arounds. Be good to meet if you can make it.
I highly recomend the B1248 :thumb:
sakm
Administrator
Great Britain

Post by sakm »

Scrap that! I won't be able to make it! Just been told that I'm at my niece's 18th birthday party the night before! I don't think I will be in a fit state to ride
k9doc
Great Britain

Post by k9doc »

sakm wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:58 pm I highly recomend the B1248 :thumb:
Yes, know that road, it's a good un.
sakm wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 11:25 pm Scrap that! I won't be able to make it! Just been told that I'm at my niece's 18th birthday party the night before! I don't think I will be in a fit state to ride
Fair enough. Maybe next time. Hopefully later on, looking at the Lincolnshire Wolds via Willingham Woods, starting from Doncaster Services.
Chris
k9doc
Great Britain

Post by k9doc »

As things stand, I know I'm going to struggle with a full day event, especially in this heat. Rather than cancelling at the last minute, I'm wondering if someone else will take this ride on as it will be a good un. Sorry to bale but health and safety come first. The situation may improve as the season progresses but 4 years off the bike and four years older is making a return tougher than expected.
Chris
simbo
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

k9doc wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 7:32 pm As things stand, I know I'm going to struggle with a full day event, especially in this heat. Rather than cancelling at the last minute, I'm wondering if someone else will take this ride on as it will be a good un. Sorry to bale but health and safety come first. The situation may improve as the season progresses but 4 years off the bike and four years older is making a return tougher than expected.
Send me the route in GPX format Chris, Michael and myself will do it if it involves good roads and breakfast :-D We don't mind if anyone else wants to attend either :thumb: