New helmet time. Which one?

Got any questions on clothing? Want to write a review to help others in choosing the right gear?
Doctor T
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 909 times
Been liked: 239 times
Great Britain

Re: New helmet time. Which one?

Post by Doctor T »

Glenn, you are correct. The Bell does come with a pinlock visor from J&S, other shops like Helmet City do not have locks but they can sell you one separately. Hence why J&S is £60 dearer. Emailed them again this morning and they gave me a price match with Helmet City. So i ordered a white one for £199.99 inc pinlock instead of their current price of £259.99.

I spent 3 hours in Waterlooville J&S yesterday just trying helmets again just to make sure. The C5 sat on my eyebrows, so too low, Arai flip too narrow. Funny as i had lots of their helmets in the past and they always fitted my round bonce perfectly.
Shoei, again i used to have these too. But even with a top pad to make to fit just didn't feel right in other places. A lot of helmets seem to have gone down with the intermediate shape route.
Bell SRT Mod, as soon as i put in on it felt perfect, with no pressure points at the front and sides.

Thank you all :thumb:
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.
smileymiley
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 17MY
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times
Great Britain

Post by smileymiley »

Had a Shoei Multitec when I got the 1200 in 2014, which I'd worn for some years, it was very good.
After my rear end shunt I had it replaced from the insurance with a BMW System 5. A very nice helmet, reasonably quiet, I wear plugs.
Changed to system 7, 2 years back as BMW had a £100 off if exchanging.
Again no real complaints, although being able to wear it as an open face, not that I've tried, the mechanism for this is extremely complicated.
Vini, Vidi, Velcro....... I came, I saw, I stuck around.
Doctor T
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

smileymiley wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 10:41 am Had a Shoei Multitec when I got the 1200 in 2014, which I'd worn for some years, it was very good.
After my rear end shunt I had it replaced from the insurance with a BMW System 5. A very nice helmet, reasonably quiet, I wear plugs.
Changed to system 7, 2 years back as BMW had a £100 off if exchanging.
Again no real complaints, although being able to wear it as an open face, not that I've tried, the mechanism for this is extremely complicated.
BMW system helmets are made by Schuberth and their sports range is made by HJC.
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.
burridge01
Bike Model and Year: Modified "16" R1200RT
Been liked: 194 times
Great Britain

Post by burridge01 »

Doctor T wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 1:41 pm BMW system helmets are made by Schuberth and their sports range is made by HJC.
I new BMW lids were made or at least intertwined with Schuberth but never new there sports range was by HJC.I had the Schuberth S2 back in 18 that saved my life,fancy the twat not looking when she changed lanes :roll:

Was 1 of the most comfortable helmets I've had,let down by the SRC(I think) neck roll coms system, proper dogs.
Last edited by burridge01 on Wed Jul 26, 2023 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doctor T
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

It saved the most important bit. Never been a Sena fan, I've too many people complain about them
Ed Harley
Bike Model and Year: 2013 R1200RT
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 50 times
Finland

Post by Ed Harley »

I bought original Schuberth C3 when it was introduced long, long time ago. Was very happy with how it fit and how quiet it was.

Eventually after 10 years or so the lining materials started to deteriorate and I wanted a new helmet.

Went to the dealer to try C4 but that did not fit my head and so I got a new C3 instead. Fit and finish are just as good as on the old one but I get pain from glasses and/or sunglasses above my ears. There does not seem to be channels for glasses and in my case the lining puts pressure on glasses and after half an hour it really hurts. :(

With all my integrals, Shoei GT Air 2, NXR 2 and X-Spirit 3, I have no problems with putting glasses on so need for flip-up helmet just isn't there anymore. Plus I like how light they are.

If looking for a flip-up helmet X-Lite is worth checking, too.
1983 GS1000G | 1984 GSX1100EF | 1997 FLHR | 2016 FLSTC | Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200 XRT
SimonD
Bike Model and Year: 2010 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 33 times
Great Britain

Post by SimonD »

I happened across a pretty much unused Neotec (original one) a month or so ago and thought I'd try it for a while. The inability to crack the visor open still annoys but apart from that it is an awfully good helmet. The ventilation is better than any helmet I've owned which makes my issue with the visor less of a problem. It works very well with the oe screen on my bike - so much so that I've abandoned any thoughts of replacing or modifying the screen.

The only thing I don't get is the whole flip up thing. I suppose it might make the helmet a bit quieter but the fit around the neck isn't that tight unlike the Neotec 2 and the Schuberths. It is actually possible to remove the helmet without opening it. Maybe a GT Air is what I really need.
Steve398
Bike Model and Year: R1200RTLC, 2018
Has liked: 280 times
Isle of Wight

Post by Steve398 »

Just about to buy a Shoei Neotec 2, reduced at the moment as the 3 is due out soon and the dealers are reducing their stock. It’ll be my first flip helmet as I’ve worn Arai’s for the past 35 years with the exception of one AGV.

I thought I’d try a flip because it’s easier than removing the helmet for Passport Control, petrol stations and the like. The reviews are good so here goes …
Last edited by Steve398 on Sun Jul 23, 2023 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Randyjaco
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2017
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 38 times
United States of America

Post by Randyjaco »

Before you buy any helmet, try it on your bike at speed. How else are you going to know if you will be happy with it? Otherwise, helmet buying is a crap shoot. Some shops like Cycle Gear have wind tunnels, which would be a close second.
SimonD
Bike Model and Year: 2010 R1200RT SE
Been liked: 33 times
Great Britain

Post by SimonD »

Pretty sure that even the best retailers won't let you run up and down the motorway with an unpaid for lid!

Helmet buying IS a crap shoot!
Doctor T
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

Never known a shop to allow their stock to be tried on the road. I would mean the shop would have loads of worthless used helmets at the end of the years
jclaudej
Bike Model and Year: 1250 RT 2019
Been liked: 14 times
France

Post by jclaudej »

Hi,

Neotec 2 for me because very comfortable and with a good balance. I am 67 old and my old bones appreciate this helmet during a long day ride ;)
burridge01
Bike Model and Year: Modified "16" R1200RT
Been liked: 194 times
Great Britain

Post by burridge01 »

Of to HelmetCity(Tatsfield)1 day this week to get her a new lid.Think it will be a Neotec2, same as mine but different colour :mrgreen: Can't believe she's had her present Multitec for 15years :shock:
MikeS
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 49 times
Great Britain

Post by MikeS »

Don't know if there's anything like this available in the uk:

https://www.shoei-europe.com/shop/en/sh ... ing-system
Doctor T
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

MikeS wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 1:14 pm Don't know if there's anything like this available in the uk:

https://www.shoei-europe.com/shop/en/sh ... ing-system
There are some about that offer a fitting service but ive found these shops are always the dearest