New helmet time. Which one?

Got any questions on clothing? Want to write a review to help others in choosing the right gear?
Doctor T
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 877 times
Been liked: 230 times
Great Britain

New helmet time. Which one?

Post by Doctor T »

New helmet time. Am after a flip front again but my fingers cross a tad quieter. I have a few on my list but just can't make up my mind. I have tried on all the helmets. Trying it on is a lot different from using it every day.

1. SCHUBERTH C5. Have heard reviews that this helmet isn't as good as a C3
2. LS2 FF906 carbon. Like the idea as it turns into a jet helmet. Suspect it is noisy.
3. Shoei Neotec 2. Some say it's the quietest while others say there is a lot of wind noise
4. Schuberth C4 Pro. Don't know much about this one
5. Schuberth C3 Pro. Some say this is the best of the C range.
If you have or had any of the above helmets please can you leave a comment.
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.
rory2112
Bike Model and Year: 2014 rt
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Re: New helmet time. Which one?

Post by rory2112 »

I'm just about to return my new Schuberth C3 Pro as it's bloody uncomfortable. Yes i have a big old head and usually wear an XL Caberg which fits really well but is now 13 years old and hence time for a new one. The Schuberth is 2xl but still far too small and uncomfortable.
Sullivj
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 15 times
Great Britain

Post by Sullivj »

I have a HUGE head (68). I have an HJC IS MAX, flip front in Fluro.

They don't sell it in my size in the UK, but they do in Germany, so I got it from there. At around £135, it was MUCH cheaper than most, but still a decent helmet with no too much wind noise.
burridge01
Bike Model and Year: Modified "16" R1200RT
Been liked: 190 times
Great Britain

Post by burridge01 »

Neotec 2 for me,superb lid that I don't find noisy,is comfortable to wear and great coms on it.
Elkinell
Bike Model and Year: 2020 R1250RT
Has liked: 85 times
Been liked: 43 times
Great Britain

Post by Elkinell »

No experience with any of the above but I have been bothered for years about the fact that if you buy a helmet and it's noisier that you'd like, what can you do about it? Shouldn't they have a small wind tunnel at the shop you can stick your head in? :mrgreen:
Glenn
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT LE 2018
Been liked: 83 times
Great Britain

Post by Glenn »

I'm happy with my Bell Modular SRT, apart from the sun visor which is hard to move, just on my helmet though.
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 96 times
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

I'm more than happy with my Schuberth C3 Pro and wouldn't hesitate in buying another one when the time comes.
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
Randyjaco
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2017
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 37 times
United States of America

Post by Randyjaco »

I hate my Neotek2. Very noisy and after 2 years it is falling apart. Not what I would expect from a $600 helmet
Doctor T
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 877 times
Been liked: 230 times
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

I would love a full face but hate the feeling of being closed in hence why i prefer a flip that is P and J rated. Ok, i know i will always have more wind noise with a flip but that is only the downfall of one.
I will have to look into the Bell Modular SRT. Didnt, know Bell made flip up's. Does it come with a pinlock visor?
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.
Elkinell
Bike Model and Year: 2020 R1250RT
Has liked: 85 times
Been liked: 43 times
Great Britain

Post by Elkinell »

Randyjaco wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 12:06 am I hate my Neotek2. Very noisy and after 2 years it is falling apart. Not what I would expect from a $600 helmet
I stopped buying expensive helmets years ago and before anyone asks I DO have a ten bob head :mrgreen:
jesim1
Bike Model and Year: R1250RTLE 2022
Has liked: 50 times
Been liked: 27 times
Great Britain

Post by jesim1 »

Using a Neotec 2 and happy with it, it's about 2 years old and mint, done about 9k with it so far. There is a bit of wind noise, but you get that wiith most helmets, and it's lighter than some others with plenty of comfort also - I'd buy another, unlike the Shark flip up I had, it was heavy, noisier, and very poor in the rain, even though I did like the way it opened into a half face, but I would not buy another of those.
Glenn
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT LE 2018
Been liked: 83 times
Great Britain

Post by Glenn »

Doctor T wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 12:43 pm
I will have to look into the Bell Modular SRT. Didnt, know Bell made flip up's. Does it come with a pinlock visor?
Yes, it has a Pinlock fitted
Arek
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 7 times
Great Britain

Post by Arek »

I have Shoei Neotec2 and my wife have Shuberth C5.
The biggest problem with buying a helmet is really good and proper fitting. If you just focus on on brand, it may not be what you think. As the shape of your head and internal shape of the brand not necessary will be compatible :-D
To say so, buying a helmet online is a huge mistake in my opinion. Unless you order this same model you have, and you are 100% sure that it fit perfectly.
Not many shops doing a proper fitting, yes most of them check if the helmet is mostly in correct sizing, etc, but not really do fitting.
Even if I'm from Oxford area, and have few shops around, I am travelling to Guilford for new helmet. They do what every shop should. Really take care about proper fitting. Really can recommend Motolegends for the job they doing. However that place is not for everybody, they are quite specific in approach for customers.
SimonD
Bike Model and Year: 2010 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 28 times
Great Britain

Post by SimonD »

I find the Motolegends videos very informative. They are adamant that flip front helmets are the quietest because the seal around the rider's neck can be made tighter than a full face and that this is where most noise comes from. Obviously it all depends on what bike you ride and how you ride it but this is a useful take on the best helmets available:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKHcAYKKHj0

When younger I swore by Arai helmets and while they are still probably the best for protection I also now prefer more space in front of my face. I use a Touratech/Nexx adventure helmet (with the visor removed) but this doesn't work well with the RT screen. I don't really want a bigger screen but I am getting more buffeting on the RT than I did on my Buell Ulysses (albeit with a larger adjustable screen). I'm thinking of trying a Schuberth next.
Last edited by SimonD on Fri Jun 09, 2023 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arek
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 7 times
Great Britain

Post by Arek »

BTW, I have Arai as well. I agree that Arai is build with protection in mind and comfort on the head. Do not mix comfort wearing it with quietness :lol:
Arai is the most loudest helmet I ever own. It is superb comfortable to wear for hours. It is fantastic ventilated. Have great angles for visor. But is is so bloody loud :-D Even with custom moulded earplugs.
Saying that, I love it in very hot days, as the ventilation made made me happy. But for all day ride in long journeys. I mean a week or two on the bike day by day. I will wear something like my Shoei Neotec. It is significantly quieter. But again, do not think it will be like in the car. It still noisy, but less. However flip front is so convenient during such a journeys that I really can't think now about full face instead.
I don't say it is the best solution for everybody. It is the best I found for myself.