New helmet time. Which one?

Got any questions on clothing? Want to write a review to help others in choosing the right gear?
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Re: New helmet time. Which one?

Post by Casbar »

I use my helmets a lot, I have a white one for blood biking and another one for social riding. The Schuberth C3 Pro was a complete pile of rubbish. The neck roll is attached by plastic pins that snap, fix is drill a 2mm hole and insert the stems from a rivet. Visor used to let in water spray in heavy rain, like someone flicking water on your face. Also pretty uncomfortable if you have helmet speakers. Got rid of it after a couple of years. Have been using 2 Neotec 2s for nearly 4 years now, no complaints at all, comfortable and nothing has fallen off. Noisy, haven't noticed, behind an RT screen you don't get much wind noise, so a top mark from me and I do 1000s of miles all year around. I have heard the C5 is a good helmet, but it would take a lot to get me back to Schuberth after the C3 Pro.
SimonD
Bike Model and Year: 2010 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 33 times
Great Britain

Post by SimonD »

The thing that put me off about the Neotec is that you can't just pop the visor open a couple of mm - otherwise that would have been my first choice.
I get loads of wind noise behind my RT screen. It's quietest when I put it all the way down and have cleaner airflow over the helmet - all the way up just directs the blast in the middle of my helmet - I'm not particularly tall at 6ft. Obviously all of this varies according to which helmet I wear, which way and how strong the wind is blowing.
To be honest it is the biggest disappointment for me with the RT - I really don't want to go for one of the hideous barn door windscreens. C3 Pros can be had for £300 new these days - that is why I was tempted to give it a go.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

I have a werks screen on my RT which helps, but the standard screen is fine, but I am 5ft 8. I wouldn't spend £300 on a C3 Pro, thought the helmet was rubbish, did 1000s of miles in one in all weathers. But a Helmet is a personal choice, I wear ear plugs so wind noise doesn't bother me. I've had a Neotec and as I said two Neotec 2s, so for now, they work for me.
Steve398
Bike Model and Year: R1200RTLC, 2018
Has liked: 278 times
Been liked: 238 times
Isle of Wight

Post by Steve398 »

My chosen helmet for many years have been Arai’s, quite simply because they fit my head shape and they’re comfortable. I’ve tried other manufacturers but apart from AGV’s nothing else fits as well, and I don’t like the style of the AGV.

Wind noise is inevitable with good ventilation so good ear/hearing protection is essential, personally I use foam earplugs but everybody has their own choice. I have had moulded earplugs in the past but they remain in the shape they were moulded to whereas your ears change shape, so a year or two down the road I find that they don’t fit as well… and they’re not cheap are they?

Find a shop that fits helmets properly, I would agree that Motolegends are very good for advice and assistance although I do find their attitude occasionally rather condescending.

Good luck in your search 👍
Last edited by Steve398 on Fri Jun 09, 2023 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

I must be past the ear changing days. I’m 5 years into my ultimate ears moulded ear plugs and they are still all day comfortable.
Steve398
Bike Model and Year: R1200RTLC, 2018
Has liked: 278 times
Been liked: 238 times
Isle of Wight

Post by Steve398 »

Casbar wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 9:38 pm I must be past the ear changing days. I’m 5 years into my ultimate ears moulded ear plugs and they are still all day comfortable.
Perhaps they’ve changed a few things then Caspar, I bought mine in 2009. They were fine for a while but after a couple of years I found that they still fitted beautifully until I put the helmet on, and then they unseated themselves. Shame but.. so I’m back to the foam jobbies.

PS - Agree completely re the Werks screen. I’m 5’11” and it delivers clean air over the screen without any buffeting.
Last edited by Steve398 on Sat Jun 10, 2023 7:59 am, edited 3 times in total.
burridge01
Bike Model and Year: Modified "16" R1200RT
Been liked: 194 times
Great Britain

Post by burridge01 »

For helmet fit and customer service you'd be hard to beat HelmetCity Tatsfield.
Doctor T
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 909 times
Been liked: 239 times
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

Arek wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 9:51 am I have Shoei Neotec2 and my wife have Shuberth C5.
The biggest problem with buying a helmet is really good and proper fitting. If you just focus on on brand, it may not be what you think. As the shape of your head and internal shape of the brand not necessary will be compatible :-D
To say so, buying a helmet online is a huge mistake in my opinion. Unless you order this same model you have, and you are 100% sure that it fit perfectly.
Not many shops doing a proper fitting, yes most of them check if the helmet is mostly in correct sizing, etc, but not really do fitting.
Even if I'm from Oxford area, and have few shops around, I am travelling to Guilford for new helmet. They do what every shop should. Really take care about proper fitting. Really can recommend Motolegends for the job they doing. However that place is not for everybody, they are quite specific in approach for customers.
I try them in the shops then come home and search the web for a better deal. I've never bought a helmet without trying as i have a funny shaped head.
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.
Doctor T
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

Found the Bell Modular SRT and the Neotec 2 fitted well but the Bell felt better. The only minus with the Bell it doesn't come with a pinlock visor. The other minus is i can find any on sale.

A big thanks to everyone. Your comment has made my choice easier :thumb:
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.
Glenn
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT LE 2018
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 88 times
Great Britain

Post by Glenn »

My Bell came with a p120 Pinlock fitted.

What colour and size are you after?
Doctor T
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

plain white size L
Glenn
Great Britain

Post by Glenn »

SimonD
Bike Model and Year: 2010 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 33 times
Great Britain

Post by SimonD »

Interesting. I use a crappy Bell Qualifier for running around locally. Poor ventilation, very noisy but very comfortable and I don't mind slinging it in the boxes without worrying about scraping it. The "Transitions" visor is novel too.
Would love to hear how you get on with the SRT. Seems like a lot of helmet for £200.
Doctor T
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

Glenn wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 4:55 pm https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorc ... rod/362956

Available in Reading
Emailed them and they said it came with no pin lock and i would need to buy another visor that they do not stock
Glenn
Great Britain

Post by Glenn »

From J&S

"The Panovision visor gives a wider aperture for better vision and the SRT comes with a clear Pinlock visor."

https://jsaccessories.co.uk/blog/review ... ck%20visor.

Maybe J&S add the Pinlock?