Remap for an R1250RT - any experience??

Technical aspects and performance of the BMW R1200RT/1250 RT
Doctor T
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 909 times
Been liked: 239 times
Great Britain

Re: Remap for an R1250RT - any experience??

Post by Doctor T »

Casbar wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 12:19 pm The trouble is, all your assumptions are just assumptions. Do some research around Hilltop and the views on UKGSER and other forums, about their practices. They told everyone that their map was hidden and they were not adjusting the main map at all. Many took their bikes to Hilltop but had them dyno at independent operators, then had the map done at Hilltop and then took the bike back to the independent and found no change. Dynos are calibrated, but a skilled operator can make the dyno give optimistic results by altering parameters. This has come up around the later bikes not older bikes which can be mapped successfully. If you have a LC, get it mapped if you want, people are only giving advice and people can spend their money as they wish. I have had many bike and cars mapped when I was racing, its not the technology in question, its the "hidden map" and the difficulty with mapping the newer ECUs, which may now be resolved. A rival company actually reported them to Trading standards, but it has all died down now.

Last point, if BMW can't tell if someone has accessed their ECU, how did the chap in the states have his warranty voided, because they could tell how many times the ECU has been accessed?
Have you had your bike remapped by Hilltop? Or is this just the usual hearsay gossip from the web? If you haven't had any dealings direct with Hilltop yourself, you want to be careful of what you are writing as this could be classed as Libel. Your best bet is just to put links up where others have complained. Am not worried about what you write and you haven't broken any site rules but just be careful
BMW dealers do not have the equipment to see if the OE map has been changed.
Your last point about the chap who had his warranty voided If this case is the one ive heard about? This was because he had cut wires to fit extra lights. The bike was just 6 months old. He tried to take BMW to court but after advice, he dropped the case and paid for the repairs himself.
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 98 times
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

Doctor T wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 6:19 pm Have you had your bike remapped by Hilltop? Or is this just the usual hearsay gossip from the web? If you haven't had any dealings direct with Hilltop yourself, you want to be careful of what you are writing as this could be classed as Libel. Your best bet is just to put links up where others have complained. Am not worried about what you write and you haven't broken any site rules but just be careful
BMW dealers do not have the equipment to see if the OE map has been changed.
Your last point about the chap who had his warranty voided If this case is the one ive heard about? This was because he had cut wires to fit extra lights. The bike was just 6 months old. He tried to take BMW to court but after advice, he dropped the case and paid for the repairs himself.
It's all there on UKGSER like Casbar said, No need for the scare tactics.
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
60Aviator
Bike Model and Year: 2017 GSA & 2021 R1250RT
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 11 times
United States of America

Post by 60Aviator »

Some have went this route:
https://bt-moto.com/
“I’d rather go down the river with seven studs than with a hundred poopheads” Charlie Beckwith
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

@Dr T, let me give you a bit of advice. Everything I have posted is freely available on UKGSER, I followed this thoroughly when it all blew up. Including all the reports from others who had visited said company. I was looking into having my bike mapped, I contacted said company and discussed with the owner, including the "sending the ECU to them and them sending it back" I have had dealings with various tuning companies over many years and have plenty experience of mapping both bikes and cars.

Do you have first hand experience of everything you post on every forum, or are forums about providing advice and guidance to others and pointing them in the direction of where they can do their own research.

Here is the link about BMW warranty being voided, but you probably know more than this chap as well

https://www.ukgser.com/community/thread ... ed.356545/

So I'll take your advice and stick it where the sun doesn't shine.
Doctor T
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 909 times
Been liked: 239 times
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

simbo wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 8:38 pm It's all there on UKGSER like Casbar said, No need for the scare tactics.
No scare tactics from me. I've seen people/groups taken to court for Liable before for writing comments that hurt a company's reputation.

Personally am quite interested in the posts that Casbar has found about Hilltop as other reports recommended them but maybe they only said that to cover their disappointment or the money they spent.
I wish more people would research more into a subject as Casbar has before posting.
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.