1250 Caliper bolt torque

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
Arek
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 7 times
Great Britain

1250 Caliper bolt torque

Post by Arek »

Hi all.
I have a question regarding torque for front and rear calipers on the 2021 1250.
I search internet for answers, but they are kind of mixed.
So far for front I found as follow:
28Nm
30Nm
38Nm
The last one if from Boxflyer torque sheet for this specific model.
Anyone have any idea which one is correct?
And for rear is pretty similar situation, found few of them too.

Thanks
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Re: 1250 Caliper bolt torque

Post by David. »

The BMW Rider's Manual says 38Nm for the front caliper bolts, can't see a value for the rear caliper bolts.

The front is given because the caliper needs to be removed to remove the wheel, whereas, this is not required for the rear wheel.

If there is any doubt, just ring your local friendly BMW dealer.
Boxflyer
Been liked: 16 times

Post by Boxflyer »

Direct from the Updateable Repair Manual R Models K5X Official DVD (not a copy):

Radial brake caliper on telescopic forks (M10x65 bolt) 38NM
(Note: no mention of using thread locker)

Brake caliper to bevel gears (Long threaded dome to bevel gears M8x30 bolts) 28Nm
Replace screw. Thread-locking compound (micro-encapsulated)

Please check any previous reference from my documents that may have shown an old value of 24Nm for the bolts holding the Rear Caliper to the Bevel Gears...this is an updated Torque Value that may have been posted as 24Nm...which NOW is 28Nm for ALL R1250 K5x bikes.

This is an image of my commonly used fasteners R1250 ShiftHead Torque Sheet
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fjmj6- ... sp=sharing
Last edited by Boxflyer on Thu Apr 04, 2024 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Arek
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 7 times
Great Britain

Post by Arek »

Thank you guys. I used the sheet provided by @Boxflyer (thanks again for sharing it).
Replaced done yesterday. OEM swapped for dedicated Brembo pads. I was very surprised, OEM pads still had quite a bit to "the end", however I decided to replace it anyway. I was surprised because I've been in Alps and Dolomites for over 10 days. So I suspected my brake pads will be on limit, especially I have them from factory, so two years now. About 14K miles. And they was not.

Front callipers bolts mounted without thread locker, but with small amount of copper grease. I never took them off, neither BMW garage for my knowledge, so I assume that's factory. Used touch of copper too when mounted back.
Rear calliper pads replacement are easier, but cleaning without taking off calliper is kind of challenge. Hover that done as well.