Voltage regulator

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
pencile
Has liked: 1 time
United States of America

Voltage regulator

Post by pencile »

I have a 2014 R1200RT that I had my son install a new battery on. He put the battery in backwards. I heard the horn on it blowing for just a few seconds which got my attention. He didn't have it connected for long, so I then put the battery in corectly but the hron was still going off. The dash lights were good and the bike actully started and ran, but only at high idle. Then the voltage regulator got hot. I trurned it off and dosconected the battery as soon as I seen that. Looks like I need a new Voltage regulator, I hope thats all that happened. Any ideas if such a thing might have taken anythiong else out? Mostly concered about the just high idle with no control.
Thanks!
Doctor T
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 909 times
Been liked: 239 times
Great Britain

Re: Voltage regulator

Post by Doctor T »

Check the alternator as well
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.
pencile
United States of America

Post by pencile »

I compared the readings with an ohm meter from a good one, the only way I know how to check it without a good votage regulator. They ohmed out the same, that is to say I donesn't seem have any open windings. If that means anything at all.. Hope so!! There wont be any engine removal on this guy.
sakm
Administrator
Bike Model and Year: 2016 R1200RT
Has liked: 453 times
Been liked: 398 times
Great Britain

Post by sakm »

The voltage regulator will get hot as that's how it gets rid of the excess voltage that's how shunt regulators work.

Knowing if its too hot is a different story!

Are you getting good voltage to the battery?
pencile
United States of America

Post by pencile »

Well i replaced the vloltage regulator, and still the horn is still constanly going off. not sure what to do next. this is all happening with the key off. i disconected the ecu as well and still it happens. i can see a spark when i try to connect the negative terminal. seems to be short in somthing or somewhere. i'm kind of lost now.
Steve398
Bike Model and Year: R1200RTLC, 2018
Has liked: 280 times
Been liked: 239 times
Isle of Wight

Post by Steve398 »

I think you may have to talk with BMW.
I have a friend who did the same on his wife’s Mercedes sports car, it destroyed the numerous ECU’s and the car, despite being only 2-3 years old, was written off by the insurance company. I hope you have a better result.
onechriswood
Bike Model and Year: R1250rt 2019
Been liked: 3 times
Great Britain

Post by onechriswood »

pencile wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 2:26 am I have a 2014 R1200RT that I had my son install a new battery on. He put the battery in backwards. I heard the horn on it blowing for just a few seconds which got my attention. He didn't have it connected for long, so I then put the battery in corectly but the hron was still going off. The dash lights were good and the bike actully started and ran, but only at high idle. Then the voltage regulator got hot. I trurned it off and dosconected the battery as soon as I seen that. Looks like I need a new Voltage regulator, I hope thats all that happened. Any ideas if such a thing might have taken anythiong else out? Mostly concered about the just high idle with no control.
Thanks!
Did you get a resolution to this issue mate?