New Member and Question

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
MildOne
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2023
Been liked: 1 time
United States of America

New Member and Question

Post by MildOne »

New Member from the Deep South, USA, and proud new owner of a 2023 RT!

This is my first BMW, but second shaft drive bike. My RT definently steers left very quickly after removing my hands form the bars. I mentioned shaft drive because I was unsure if the weight of the drive on the left naturally contributes to the condition.

I know, don't remove my hand from the bars and issue solved. :)

My mileage is 920 miles. Tires are Michelin Road 5 GT. 36.8 psi front, 42.7 rear. This occurs on different roads and wind conditions (trying to elliminate varriables). The panniers are empty. The windshield is mid point height. All original equipment on my bike.

I also feel a very slight side to side "wobble" at say, 70 mph, this could be due to the incrediable handeling of the RT or possibly related to a steering head bearing improperlly torqued from the factory (which is only a remote possibiliy in my mind - but anyhting is possible I suppose).

If this is "normal" I am ok, but before I bring it back to my dealer I would like some thoughts from the knowledge base here.

Thank you in Advance!
Doctor T
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 911 times
Been liked: 239 times
Great Britain

Re: New Member and Question

Post by Doctor T »

A warm welcome to our site. I've moved your questions to the General Discussions section for a better response.
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.
Randyjaco
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2017
Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 38 times
United States of America

Post by Randyjaco »

Welcome from Friendswood, Texas :cheers:
That is not a normal situation and should be checked immediately. You should be able to remove your hands with no issues.
MildOne
United States of America

Post by MildOne »

Thank you Randyjaco of Friendswood, Texas! I will get this checked out. I did not feel it was normal.
exportman
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 40 times
Great Britain

Post by exportman »

Agree it is not normal to steer when just removing your hands. Is it always steering the same way?

Wobble at 70+ if you have a top box on it can induce a slight weave but for me it was going a bit more than 70 probably around 90 ish go a bit faster and it disappears. Think that is airflow related.
MildOne
United States of America

Post by MildOne »

exportman wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 9:13 am Agree it is not normal to steer when just removing your hands. Is it always steering the same way?

Wobble at 70+ if you have a top box on it can induce a slight weave but for me it was going a bit more than 70 probably around 90 ish go a bit faster and it disappears. Think that is airflow related.
The steering left - hand free - always been this way. No top box.

Since this is my first RT, I have been hesitant to say anything. I was originally thinking it could be normal due to the bike's mechanics, rear drive on one side, no symmetrical "swingarm", rake, wheelbase etc. If RT owners start to tell me that this is not normal, I feel stronger about bringing it to my dealer this concern.

I am curious about the possibility of an improper torqued steering bearing condition. If that is the case, what symptoms would be felt?
Doctor T
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

Could you not take it back to the dealer as it's a new bike? My 07 it i take my hands off the bars steer slightly to the left due to the camber of the roads. I would have said tyre wear but 900 miles that shouldn't happen. It does sound like your wheels need balancing.
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.
MildOne
United States of America

Post by MildOne »

Doctor T wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 12:56 pm Could you not take it back to the dealer as it's a new bike? My 07 it i take my hands off the bars steer slightly to the left due to the camber of the roads. I would have said tyre wear but 900 miles that shouldn't happen. It does sound like your wheels need balancing.
I am going to bring to my dealer tomorrow. It will be ineresting to see if they will be able to correct this.
jesim1
Bike Model and Year: R1250RTLE 2022
Has liked: 53 times
Been liked: 31 times
Great Britain

Post by jesim1 »

Welcome buddy :cheers:

As othrs have said, this is not normal, the RT is pretty stable, even at twice the speed limit two up with luggage - or so I've been told :oops:
Doctor T
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

Please update us on the outcome