Steve398
Bike Model and Year: R1200RTLC, 2018
Has liked: 282 times
Been liked: 240 times
Isle of Wight

Blind spot mirrors

Post by Steve398 »

Anybody use them?

Having just returned from foreign parts I seemed to spend half my time doing exaggerated shoulder checks on the motorways to check where the next attack (sorry, overtaking vehicle) was coming from, left/right or occasionally a determined attempt at straight over the top of me.

In hindsight it now seems it may have been a good idea to pop on a set of the ubiquitous stick-on jobbies from Ebay to give me a better view of approaching vehicles. They’re not to replace the shoulder checks or life-savers, but simply an additional safety aid.

So, has anybody got any recommendations?
Totaled TL
Bike Model and Year: 2021 R1250RT
Been liked: 8 times
United States of America

Re: Blind spot mirrors

Post by Totaled TL »

I fitted a couple of these. Not sure if I'm going to keep them yet as they aren't ideal. Better than it was tho.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075DWPWC5?ps ... ct_details
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

I had a couple of little round ones on my 1200RT. Decided a waste of time, I had to concentrate at looking into them and it was a lot easier to just turn my head
Doctor T
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 911 times
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

I had a couple of round stick on ones. Just as Casbar said you have to concentrate more using them. In the end, lucky to have an older model i fitted a pair of GS mirrors. Older models need to buy adapters to fit extra mirrors
Nippy Norman sells the brackets/clamps so any mirror stem can be fitted. A mate of mine found after buying the clamps and mirrors, that he could buy the same mirrors for under £12 a pair. The adapters are £29.00 + post
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.
Capt Sisko
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT LE - '18
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 60 times
Great Britain

Post by Capt Sisko »

I've uses a pair the following from Amazon, at £3.28 dirt cheap but they've been on a year now and are extremely effective. I've fitted mine to top inside corner (that otherwise is a waste of space) and transforms it to a useful blind spot, erm spotter.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07 ... UTF8&psc=1
vennie
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2010
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 10 times
Great Britain

Post by vennie »

I pinched the idea from another member on here who showed how he built some blind spot mirrors and did the same. Only I used a couple of bits of left over stainless plate as opposed to the plastic that he had used.
Also I could not mount mine the same as he did so mine are shown in the pic sticking upward rather than parallel to the wing mirrors.
I don’t think they make any difference at all to be fair.
Am just about to go off and do the NC500 next Sunday so we’ll see if they help at all on that run.
Blind spot mirror 1
Blind spot mirror 1
IMG_2530.jpeg (411.52 KiB) Viewed 888 times
Blind spot mirror 2
Blind spot mirror 2
IMG_2551.jpeg (392.58 KiB) Viewed 888 times
Blind spot mirror 3
Blind spot mirror 3
IMG_2552.jpeg (338.14 KiB) Viewed 888 times
Steve398
Isle of Wight

Post by Steve398 »

Capt Sisko wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 1:53 pm I've uses a pair the following from Amazon, at £3.28 dirt cheap but they've been on a year now and are extremely effective. I've fitted mine to top inside corner (that otherwise is a waste of space) and transforms it to a useful blind spot, erm spotter.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07 ... UTF8&psc=1
Cheers, I’ll give these a go 👍
Irtax
Bike Model and Year: 2022 R1250RT
Been liked: 1 time
United States of America

Post by Irtax »

Was not a fan of the factory mirrors on my '22 RT. Got adapters for the clutch/brake clamp to allow more standard mirrors, and turned the factory mirrors all the way out for something of blind spot coverage.
burridge01
Bike Model and Year: Modified "16" R1200RT
Been liked: 194 times
Great Britain

Post by burridge01 »

Funny innit,I find the 16 RT mirrors some of the best I've had on a bike.I will never stop with the lifesaver,so it's a good mix for me.
sakm
Administrator
Bike Model and Year: 2016 R1200RT
Has liked: 460 times
Been liked: 403 times
Great Britain

Post by sakm »

burridge01 wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 8:06 pm Funny innit,I find the 16 RT mirrors some of the best I've had on a bike.I will never stop with the lifesaver,so it's a good mix for me.
Same here!

Although a little bit viby at low revs
Steve398
Isle of Wight

Post by Steve398 »

It’s not the stock mirrors that were the problem, it was more the erratic and frequently ‘pushy’ Italian driving that had me searching for where, and sometimes which side, they were coming from. This involved far more searching shoulder checks than I ever use on UK roads, so if a £4 set of additional stick-on mirrors help in any way I’ll give it a go. I seem to remember that you could get a full stick on/replacement mirror with the outer edge section giving additional side view? I think they went out of business… anyone else heard of them?