Summer mesh jacket that’s waterproof ?

Got any questions on clothing? Want to write a review to help others in choosing the right gear?
Panman40
Has liked: 266 times
Been liked: 35 times
Great Britain

Summer mesh jacket that’s waterproof ?

Post by Panman40 »

I’ve probably asked before 🙄, I was looking for a mesh summer jacket that could be waterproof if needed ?, for some reason the only jacket I’ve found that’s remotely comfortable is Alpinestars textile, it’s waterproof with a removable liner but on the hot days I need something cooler. I see there’s a mesh version V3 Alpinestars about £230 but I’m guessing it’s not waterproof.

Do you guys on your trips away take 2 jackets 🤔🤔
Peter Baker
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 6 times
Great Britain

Re: Summer mesh jacket that’s waterproof ?

Post by Peter Baker »

Easy option would be the BMW Air Shell (I own) or more recent Air Flow jackets, but not cheap, I have never put the waterproof part to a full day riding test, but heard it works well. On longer trips I take a full textile suit with me preferring to sure I am going to be dry and open all the vents in the heat... Peter
burridge01
Bike Model and Year: Modified "16" R1200RT
Been liked: 194 times
Great Britain

Post by burridge01 »

Just take an over jacket with you.
https://www.googleadservices.com/pagead ... Qag&adurl=

I use mine for 2 purposes, when it rains and when I need to keep the wind out.Cos I'm 6'3 and a porker I have the JTS mesh jacket and the Oxford is great when needed.
Panman40
Great Britain

Post by Panman40 »

Thanks, something to look at, what about the bottom half ?, I should have posted about trousers too, at the moment I always wear leather trousers.
sakm
Administrator
Bike Model and Year: 2016 R1200RT
Has liked: 452 times
Been liked: 396 times
Great Britain

Post by sakm »

After a recent trip to Wales I too was also wondering about summer textiles that are waterproof!

I'm not a fan of stopping to put an over suit on as most of the time it's too late and your piss wet through :lol:
BoB21
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 37 times
Great Britain

Post by BoB21 »

If going for full mesh and a waterproof over jacket make sure a good quality over jacket as you will just sweat and be soaked from inside. Scott ergo supposed to be good.
Steve398
Bike Model and Year: R1200RTLC, 2018
Has liked: 278 times
Been liked: 238 times
Isle of Wight

Post by Steve398 »

We wear Klim Marrakesh suits which are allegedly showerproof, but on our recent Greece trip we were subjected to torrential rain for 4 days over the length of France and Italy so reluctantly took to wearing Rev’it plasticised nylon 2-piece over suits in the 30+ temperatures. After the first 2 days they were renamed ‘Boil in a bag’, incredibly uncomfortable and I vowed -
1) To not wear them again unless I really had to
And
2) To find something better when I got home.
So, damp at times but decidedly more comfortable I continued, and as long as I was moving the screen took most of the rain. However, then came the day when we were riding on an Italian motorway and a collision occurred some way ahead, resulting in all 3 lanes coming to a grinding halt… then of course we got the rain and very soon I’m sitting in my own personal hip bath, improved only when I put the heated seat on so as to raise the water temperature! :lol:

Thanks to BoB21 for an excellent suggestion, a Scott Ergo is definitely on the ‘to buy’ list. 👍

https://www.motolegends.com/scott-ergo- ... et-yellowe p
Panman40
Great Britain

Post by Panman40 »

So basically ….sell the bike and just take the car :lol: :lol: .
Thanks for the pointers, I will look into it. :thumb:
Panman40
Great Britain

Post by Panman40 »

sakm wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 10:23 am After a recent trip to Wales I too was also wondering about summer textiles that are waterproof!

I'm not a fan of stopping to put an over suit on as most of the time it's too late and your piss wet through :lol:
I’ve done this in the past, I mean 92/94 past, I still have the all in one waterproof suit in size L… I tried it on 3 years ago and well actually I lied I couldn’t try it on because it had shrunk for action man 🤔🤣. 2 weeks in Scotland many years ago proved Steve’s boil in the bag scenario with oversuits, perhaps what with my health issues plus sore ass after 1hr and the wife’s bad knee for over a year it’s time to hang up the boots.
sakm
Administrator
Bike Model and Year: 2016 R1200RT
Has liked: 452 times
Been liked: 396 times
Great Britain

Post by sakm »

Panman40 wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 4:50 pm I’ve done this in the past, I mean 92/94 past, I still have the all in one waterproof suit in size L… I tried it on 3 years ago and well actually I lied I couldn’t try it on because it had shrunk for action man 🤔🤣. 2 weeks in Scotland many years ago proved Steve’s boil in the bag scenario with oversuits, perhaps what with my health issues plus sore ass after 1hr and the wife’s bad knee for over a year it’s time to hang up the boots.
I have done the oversuit in the past too and it was a pain the ass!

As has been said boil in the bag!
Glenn
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT LE 2018
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 88 times
Great Britain

Post by Glenn »

Take a look at the Oxford Dakar jacket with removeable waterproof lining https://www.oxfordproducts.com/motorcyc ... ket_green/
Panman40
Great Britain

Post by Panman40 »

Glenn wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 7:27 pm Take a look at the Oxford Dakar jacket with removeable waterproof lining https://www.oxfordproducts.com/motorcyc ... ket_green/
I like the sound of this jacket, I may order one from sportsbikeshop.
BoB21
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 37 times
Great Britain

Post by BoB21 »

The problem with cheap options is they dont breath whether waterproof layer inside or outside of jacket. if its hot I just wear mesh if it rains im waterproof and find it cooling. soon dry when out other side.
Panman40
Great Britain

Post by Panman40 »

I’ve ordered the Oxford to see what it’s like.
Glenn
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT LE 2018
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 88 times
Great Britain

Post by Glenn »

Panman40 wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 9:08 am I like the sound of this jacket, I may order one from sportsbikeshop.
It's the only jacket I have worn since April, came into it's own yesterday when it chucked it down while out