Clearwater install on a 2023 R1250RT - FAIL

Looking for Aftermarket parts and Accessories for your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT or found something useful you want to share? Or just a general question?
Coopster
Bike Model and Year: 2023 R1250RT
Been liked: 1 time
United States of America

Clearwater install on a 2023 R1250RT - FAIL

Post by Coopster »

I just installed a Clearwater Lights Erica/Krista kit and Billie brake light, with the under-mirrors bracket mount. It was a tight fit getting the relay up behind the horns at the top the fork, but I managed to do it while avoiding sharp bends or kinks in the wires. I disconnected the battery when I did the wiring, and put the fuse in last as instructed.

The lights look great, and I felt a sense of accomplishment doing it myself, following directions and taking my time.
Unfortunately, nothing works. The bike works fine, but when I start the engine, the Clearwater lights remain dark, and the Billie brake light does not respond to braking action. The rest of the bike seems to work just fine as expected.

I double checked my connections, and they all seem pretty idiot-proof. The fuse is fine (checked with ohm meter), and power goes through the posi-lock just beyond the fuse so the fuse isn't the issue. I tried doing the clearwater factory reset, but there is no response. I know enough to suspect user error over anything actually wrong with the hardware, but I can't figure out what may be wrong. The bike says its software version is 013_012_050 - is there any reason this wouldn't be supported?

I have a call in to Clearwater for some advice, but haven't heard back from them in a week.

Any advice what I should do next?
Steve398
Bike Model and Year: R1200RTLC, 2018
Has liked: 280 times
Been liked: 239 times
Isle of Wight

Re: Clearwater install on a 2023 R1250RT - FAIL

Post by Steve398 »

I’ve got the Clearwater Darla/Billie set up on my 2018. I concede I watched someone fit it but from what I saw there wasn’t a problem, best of luck with getting them working.
Coopster
Bike Model and Year: 2023 R1250RT
Been liked: 1 time
United States of America

Post by Coopster »

Ok problem solved. The good folks at Clearwater lights took my phone call, discussed the issue, and asked me to send them some photos of parts of the installation. I did and then called them right back. They connected me right away with a tech who pointed out that I connected the canopener to the wrong connector. I thought there was only one choice, but there are 2 that fit, and the TPM monitor plug had slipped back out of sight and I missed it. I fished it out and plugged in there, and all is working 100%.

They were kind and didn't make me feel foolish for plugging it in the wrong place. That's great service in my book.

Verdict: user error (it almost always is!)
Fixed.
VA2TX
United States of America

Post by VA2TX »

I seem to have made the same error. Where is the mystery connector?? I looked everywhere and can't seem to locate it.
Thanks!
exportman
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2023
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 40 times
Great Britain

Post by exportman »

Hi

Its under the rack at the back of the bike