R1250RT brake pedal adjustment; Can't get there from here.

Got any tips and tricks for BMW R1200RT/R1250RT owners? feel free to share them here.
ssokolich
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2019
United States of America

R1250RT brake pedal adjustment; Can't get there from here.

Post by ssokolich »

Hi all,

After giving my new(used) 2019 RT a once over after getting it home. I noticed during the ride home the rear brake pedal seemed a little high to me. Relative to the foot peg. Item #1. Thinking I could easily adjust it to lower it. I removed the right foot peg plate so I could access the adjusting nut and lock nut. I noticed the adjusting nut was pretty well rounded off. Now there are certainly ways to get it to move. Vice grips came to mind. But I decided caution was in order. During this little trial, The right foot peg spring and bushing landed on the garage floor. Clearly the circlip was missing. I went to check the left side peg. And the only thing holding the left peg to the peg plate was the foot peg dowel pin. No spring, no bushing, no circlip on it. Item #2. So today I head up to the BMW dealer. And fortunately they had the circlips in stock. So I was able to secure the right foot peg. But the left side peg spring and bushing won't be in until next week. And you can't buy that upper nut on the rear brake master cylinder shaft. So I then walk over to the service dept. And I ask them if the rear brake pedal can be adjusted down. The counter guy goes in the back to ask a technician. The answer is you can't adjust the position of the pedal itself. The nuts only adjust the amount of "play" in the pedal itself before it grabs. So I'm glad I checked and didn't go buying a whole new rear brake cylinder. Just to get that nut. But now I'm wondering if the pegs on this bike may be lower than stock? I don't think so. The service counter guy said mine looked normal. It looks OEM to me also. But I've not seen a lot of pictures of the foot pegs. If anyone has the OEM pegs, right side in particular, and wouldn't mind taking a picture of the right peg and posting it. would appreciate it.

I know what you're thinking. I certainly know better. I broke my cardinal used-bike purchasing rule. Always do a decent pre-purchase inspection. You'll be amazed at what you may find. The price was right though. So I wouldn't have quibbled over these two issues. Had I noticed them.

P.S. In case you need to remove the right foot peg plate. I found a 3/8", 12" ratchet extension over the top of the catalytic converter, gave easy access to the right side foot peg plate torx bolt. I saw some forum entries talking about removing the exhaust to gain access to the rear master cylinder. I found that unnecessary. And I didn't see how it would give complete unimpeded access to the master cylinder adjusting nuts.
Panman40
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 36 times
Great Britain

Re: R1250RT brake pedal adjustment; Can't get there from here.

Post by Panman40 »

ssokolich wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 11:37 pm Hi all,

After giving my new(used) 2019 RT a once over after getting it home. I noticed during the ride home the rear brake pedal seemed a little high to me. Relative to the foot peg. Item #1. Thinking I could easily adjust it to lower it. I removed the right foot peg plate so I could access the adjusting nut and lock nut. I noticed the adjusting nut was pretty well rounded off. Now there are certainly ways to get it to move. Vice grips came to mind. But I decided caution was in order. During this little trial, The right foot peg spring and bushing landed on the garage floor. Clearly the circlip was missing. I went to check the left side peg. And the only thing holding the left peg to the peg plate was the foot peg dowel pin. No spring, no bushing, no circlip on it. Item #2. So today I head up to the BMW dealer. And fortunately they had the circlips in stock. So I was able to secure the right foot peg. But the left side peg spring and bushing won't be in until next week. And you can't buy that upper nut on the rear brake master cylinder shaft. So I then walk over to the service dept. And I ask them if the rear brake pedal can be adjusted down. The counter guy goes in the back to ask a technician. The answer is you can't adjust the position of the pedal itself. The nuts only adjust the amount of "play" in the pedal itself before it grabs. So I'm glad I checked and didn't go buying a whole new rear brake cylinder. Just to get that nut. But now I'm wondering if the pegs on this bike may be lower than stock? I don't think so. The service counter guy said mine looked normal. It looks OEM to me also. But I've not seen a lot of pictures of the foot pegs. If anyone has the OEM pegs, right side in particular, and wouldn't mind taking a picture of the right peg and posting it. would appreciate it.

I know what you're thinking. I certainly know better. I broke my cardinal used-bike purchasing rule. Always do a decent pre-purchase inspection. You'll be amazed at what you may find. The price was right though. So I wouldn't have quibbled over these two issues. Had I noticed them.

P.S. In case you need to remove the right foot peg plate. I found a 3/8", 12" ratchet extension over the top of the catalytic converter, gave easy access to the right side foot peg plate torx bolt. I saw some forum entries talking about removing the exhaust to gain access to the rear master cylinder. I found that unnecessary. And I didn't see how it would give complete unimpeded access to the master cylinder adjusting nuts.
I also have a 19 RT, first thing I noticed was the rear brake pedal was too high for me, that’s why I’m not bothering with lowering the foot pegs. But I did manage to adjust it down by loosening that nut and adjuster , I think maybe your service department told you wrong ?.