Bypassing ABS

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
SamR1200rt

Bypassing ABS

Post by SamR1200rt »

Last edited by SamR1200rt on Sat Jul 29, 2023 5:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
MarkW
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2012
Been liked: 3 times
Great Britain

Re: Bypassing ABS

Post by MarkW »

That seems a rather dramatic approach. What problems exactly? Have you had it properly diagnosed? Fault codes read? It could be something as simple as a wheel sensor gone south or out of adjustment - have you done anything that could have impacted the sensor gap? Please tell us more.

These systems are pretty robust, almost (but not quite) as reliable as ABSII fitted to the 1100s prior to that god awfull servo system fitted to everything up to '07, which was unreliable and without the fail"safe" abilties of it's predecessor.

There were notorious issues with early versions of the system you have - incorrect tolerances in the brush holder meant the brushes would stick and not make proper contact causing the internal moter to fail. They could be fixed - I did a couple - but it requires getting inside the motor cover on the unit, something BMW didn't design for. I believe this had been addressed by the time yours was made. In any case it didn't affect braking, only ABS function, so bypassing the module doesn't really acheive anything as far as I'm aware.
MarkW
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2012
Been liked: 3 times
Great Britain

Post by MarkW »

Okay, ignore all that. Just seen your seperate thread on the same subject. Doh!
Doctor T
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 909 times
Been liked: 239 times
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

No bypass is necessary. Just cover the flashing light on the dash. This is how my 07 has been for the last 5 years. Early models with the whizzy ABS needed a bypass kit
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.
SamR1200rt

Post by SamR1200rt »

Doctor T
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 909 times
Been liked: 239 times
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

SamR1200rt wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 3:25 am.
??????
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.