Leaking front fork

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
Corker203
Bike Model and Year: R1200rt 2009
Been liked: 3 times
United States of America

Leaking front fork

Post by Corker203 »

Greetings Fellow Forum Members.

2009 R1200rt 51k

Just returned from a 1500 mile trip with the temperature being as high as in the lower 90s, and noticed that one front fork is leaking oil. That tube has been seeping for a while, and I probably should have attended to it sooner.

At first I was confident that it was the seal where the two tubes meet, but now I am not sure. Upon further inspection, it looks like the oil may be running down the tube from the top where it meets the steering knuckle. There also has been some splatter on the inside of my windshield, which makes me think that the oil may be squirting-out under fork compression, If that is the case, it may be the seal between the tubes after all as it seems unlikely that the oil would be able to steam upwards from under the steering knuckle.

Since I have a longer trip planned in two weeks, time may be an issue in regards to making the repair. So, I am looking for any information that may help me to decide where to start and which route to take (dealer $$$ versus self repair).

Would continuing to use the bike under this condition cause any further concerns?

Thanks in advance!
Doctor T
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 909 times
Been liked: 239 times
Great Britain

Re: Leaking front fork

Post by Doctor T »

It takes about an hour and a half to do it yourself. Did mine earlier this year. There are no special tools needed.
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.