Blue smoke after a drop

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Normal4Norfolk
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2014
Great Britain

Blue smoke after a drop

Post by Normal4Norfolk »

I stupidly drooped the bike yesterday on it’s right side and on re-starting I am seeing blue smoke when I open the throttle. If anyone has had a similar experience then does this burn off after a run or is it more serious? Any advice gratefully received.
Doctor T
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 913 times
Been liked: 240 times
Great Britain

Re: Blue smoke after a drop

Post by Doctor T »

I wouldnt worry unless you have broken a part. A lot of boxer engines produce some smoke if left on the side stand.
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.
Jggpossum
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2023
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 11 times
Australia

Re: Blue smoke after a drop

Post by Jggpossum »

Not unusual for any four stroke engine which has been put on its side to allow a small amount of oil past the rings. Real common with lawnmowers put on their side to clean underneath. I presume it was only on its side for a short time? The oil will burn off and you shouldn't have any ongoing smoking or problems. If left on its side for too long there might be a more substantial amount of oil in the top of the cylinder but this would create excessive compression and the engine probably wouldn't turn over or fire up. This didn't happen to you so you are ok.