Bike advice please

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
evansdch
Bike Model and Year: Ex CX-500
Wales

Bike advice please

Post by evansdch »

Hello. I haven’t ridden a motorcycle for the better part of 25 years. I fancy getting a bike to go touring and like the look of the 1200rt. My question is this: is it silly to think so big? And, would I be better advised to get, say, a 600cc bike and make the jump to a “big bike” once I have some miles under my belt? Thanks in advance.
Elkinell
Bike Model and Year: 2020 R1250RT
Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 43 times
Great Britain

Re: Bike advice please

Post by Elkinell »

I'd say it depends on your level of physical and mental fitness. In middle age muscle wastage starts and if you're not active you can quickly lose core and leg strength. Are you mentally fit enough to spot hazards and take action? Do you drive defensively? If the answer is yes to these questions get the bike you want. Just put some crash bars on it, you'll be fine. ;)
Steve398
Bike Model and Year: R1200RTLC, 2018
Has liked: 282 times
Been liked: 240 times
Isle of Wight

Post by Steve398 »

A few years ago the phrase was ‘born again bikers’ for your desire to take up riding once again.

I wouldn’t put you off the idea for a second, but would strongly suggest you do a short refresher with a bike instructor on a smaller school bike to remind you of the knowledge and skills that will have become rusty over time. You’ll also have a better idea if it’s feasible for you before you start spending serious cash on an RT.
Last edited by Steve398 on Sun Sep 03, 2023 8:26 am, edited 5 times in total.
Doctor T
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 911 times
Been liked: 239 times
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

After a 25-year break, i would personally go on a refresher course first. Not only for your safety but to build your confidence up as well.
Most schools use 500cc bikes so you should get an idea of the weight you feel comfortable with.
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.
evansdch
Wales

Post by evansdch »

Thanks all. Definitely intend to do a refresher course. Hopefully that will give me the confidence to get something- I may even look to do some training on the new bike (whatever it is) once I’ve got it. Next question: what kit should I get? Leathers seems unnecessary, heavy and hot. Like the idea of trousers/bib & braces that are easy to slip off.
Steve398
Bike Model and Year: R1200RTLC, 2018
Has liked: 282 times
Been liked: 240 times
Isle of Wight

Post by Steve398 »

I wore leathers for years but now only use Klim Marrakesh mesh kit with Scott Evo breathable 2 piece waterproof suit over it when necessary. I’ve worn the Klim in temps of 7c and up to 42c on holiday by adding/removing layers.
Problem is that they’re not cheap, but they are very comfortable.
A bib and brace set-up is likely to be good in winter but too hot in summer, and if you tour anywhere Mediterranean you’ll cook!
Enjoy the bike and best wishes for your future touring 👍
Last edited by Steve398 on Tue Sep 05, 2023 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doctor T
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 911 times
Been liked: 239 times
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

I use both leather and modern material clothing. It all comes down to how i feel on the day. I will say it you want a more versatile riding suit, i would go for a 4 season material suit. Many say Gortex is best but that can cost over £2000 for a set. Personally ive used RST stuff. It's well made and designed for UK weather. As with all the stuff i buy is to research and research before purchasing. Always buy versatility over fashion
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.
evansdch
Wales

Post by evansdch »

Thank you. Grateful for this. I will check those brands out.