Portable tyre pump

Looking for Aftermarket parts and Accessories for your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT or found something useful you want to share? Or just a general question?
jjwill
Bike Model and Year: RT 2018 LC
Been liked: 1 time
Wales

Portable tyre pump

Post by jjwill »

Not being technical can anyone let me know if I can buy a can-bus pump that runs off the accessory socket on my 2018 RT? Thanks
Doctor T
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 909 times
Been liked: 239 times
Great Britain

Re: Portable tyre pump

Post by Doctor T »

Most air pumps will trip the cambus. IRC the sockets can only cope with 10A. Ive owned an Airman compact pump for many years and it fits under the rear tail hump. The best way is to fit a fly lead directly to the battery. I use the same lead for my Optimate charger
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.
burridge01
Bike Model and Year: Modified "16" R1200RT
Been liked: 194 times
Great Britain

Post by burridge01 »

Pretty much the same as above,pigtail direct to the battery and runs my Desert Fox pump great.And also keep the battery topped up with Optimate DC-DC :thumb:

Steve398
Bike Model and Year: R1200RTLC, 2018
Has liked: 280 times
Been liked: 239 times
Isle of Wight

Post by Steve398 »

I use a Ring USB rechargable pump, but it certainly doesn’t fit under the tail hump, but it works well and inflates pretty quickly.

I did have an AA pump powered from the CTEK charging tail connected to the battery, but it took a dogs age to inflate the tyre!
Randyjaco
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2017
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 38 times
United States of America

Post by Randyjaco »

I have tried several 12v air pumps. Some draw too much current and will blow your fuse. I run directly from a battery charge connector with a 10 amp fuse. One of my older pumps even blew that fuse. That could be a real problem out on the road. Be sure to check your pump at home under extreme conditions at home before you venture out. I am beginning to think that the rechargeable pumps (mentioned above) are the way to go.
I also find that my pumps get used more for other peoples' equipment rather than my own. A self-contained rechargeable pump would make that chore a lot easier. ;)