Workshop Manual - Tick

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
Gavj
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2020
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 15 times
Great Britain

Workshop Manual - Tick

Post by Gavj »

Starting to get a ticking noise from the front of my engine, 1250RT - 12000 miles. Its due to go in for its 12k service so it may get sorted with valve clearances etc but doesnt sound as if its coming from the heads.Difficult to tell.
Had a look about on the net to see of anyone has video'd removing the front engine cover, I believe the clutch lives in there? Would be good to know a bit more about whats there before talking to BMW... always find it easier if you can at least find the fault before invoving the dealer
Typically its three months out of warranty.......

Anyone bought a workshop manual? Any recomendations....
sakm
Administrator
Bike Model and Year: 2016 R1200RT
Has liked: 453 times
Been liked: 398 times
Great Britain

Re: Workshop Manual - Tick

Post by sakm »

To remove the front cover you need to compress the front suspension to get it out the way of the top of the cover

Apart from that it's just remove the bolts and remove the cover

Although it doesn't have a gasket! It's sealed with sealant

Personally I would wait till the valve clearances are checked and timing done but mention it and see what they say if you would rather do it yourself then don't let them do the work
Gavj
Great Britain

Post by Gavj »

mention it and see what they say if you would rather do it yourself

yea, my thoughts as well, if its a known issue with a fixed cost then will probably let them get on with it but if its a leave your credit card and we will investigate.... :lol: it'll be a winter project..
Tenequip
Bike Model and Year: 2022 R1250RT
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times
United States of America

Post by Tenequip »

Just had the the 12,000 mile service on my 1250rt and the valves were in spec., but exhausts were at the limit. You may have a couple out of spec. and thus the noise. I suggest you relax until after the service and everything will be fine.
Tenequip
Panman40
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 36 times
Great Britain

Post by Panman40 »

Gavj wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 10:21 am Starting to get a ticking noise from the front of my engine, 1250RT - 12000 miles. Its due to go in for its 12k service so it may get sorted with valve clearances etc but doesnt sound as if its coming from the heads.Difficult to tell.
Had a look about on the net to see of anyone has video'd removing the front engine cover, I believe the clutch lives in there? Would be good to know a bit more about whats there before talking to BMW... always find it easier if you can at least find the fault before invoving the dealer
Typically its three months out of warranty.......

Anyone bought a workshop manual? Any recomendations....
Sadly there isn’t a manual for the 1250 engine, I’ve just gone by YouTube videos. I did my valve clearances and changed a few so they were at the tighter end of the spec, nice and quiet when cold but still has the flattery rattle at idle when hot. This is with the updated left side cam chain tensioner. Not much else I can do really so just try and ignore it!.
If you find a manual do let me know.
Gavj
Great Britain

Post by Gavj »

Got the bike back today from its service, valves were all in spec so no adjustment. Asked them to have a listen, they recon its sound's fine.. assuming its just normal, engine loosening off with miles?

One of my mates has a 2021 RT, will have a listen to his next time I see him..
Steve398
Bike Model and Year: R1200RTLC, 2018
Has liked: 280 times
Been liked: 239 times
Isle of Wight

Post by Steve398 »

Panman40 wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 7:57 am Sadly there isn’t a manual for the 1250 engine, I’ve just gone by YouTube videos. I did my valve clearances and changed a few so they were at the tighter end of the spec, nice and quiet when cold but still has the flattery rattle at idle when hot. This is with the updated left side cam chain tensioner. Not much else I can do really so just try and ignore it!.
Wear ear plugs Martin!

I always thought the Pan made strange noises when I rode it into the garage and wasn’t wearing a earplugs or a helmet.
Panman40
Great Britain

Post by Panman40 »

Gavj wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 5:53 pm Got the bike back today from its service, valves were all in spec so no adjustment. Asked them to have a listen, they recon its sound's fine.. assuming its just normal, engine loosening off with miles?

One of my mates has a 2021 RT, will have a listen to his next time I see him..
I wouldn’t worry about it to much, all dealers say it sounds fine!. Have you had the left cam chain tensioner replaced ?.
Gavj
Great Britain

Post by Gavj »

Panman40 wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 9:29 pm I wouldn’t worry about it to much, all dealers say it sounds fine!. Have you had the left cam chain tensioner replaced ?.
Havent had cam chain tensioner replaced... was this a recall?
Gavj
Great Britain

Post by Gavj »

Steve398 wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 7:58 pm Wear ear plugs Martin!

I always thought the Pan made strange noises when I rode it into the garage and wasn’t wearing a earplugs or a helmet.
I normally put ear plugs in before I start the bike and stop the bike before removing plugs :-D I bought new plugs with various filters, thats when I started to hear the noise....
I rode home yesterday with the medium filters and my music up full..... sounded great..... :thumb:
Steve398
Bike Model and Year: R1200RTLC, 2018
Has liked: 280 times
Been liked: 239 times
Isle of Wight

Post by Steve398 »

Gavj wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 2:40 pm I normally put ear plugs in before I start the bike and stop the bike before removing plugs :-D I bought new plugs with various filters, thats when I started to hear the noise....
I rode home yesterday with the medium filters and my music up full..... sounded great..... :thumb:
Case proven M’lud… and they all make that noise Sir! :lol:
Panman40
Great Britain

Post by Panman40 »

Gavj wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 2:35 pm Havent had cam chain tensioner replaced... was this a recall?
Not a recall exactly, but if you ask your dealer about it they should change it, if not I don’t think they are to expensive to buy. If the nut head is 17mm you have the original tensioner, if it’s 19mm the updated one has been fitted.
Gavj
Great Britain

Post by Gavj »

Panman40 wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 5:32 am Not a recall exactly, but if you ask your dealer about it they should change it, if not I don’t think they are to expensive to buy. If the nut head is 17mm you have the original tensioner, if it’s 19mm the updated one has been fitted.
Gave them a call, mine is the 17mm one.. £125 fitted......
Panman40
Great Britain

Post by Panman40 »

Gavj wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 4:22 pm Gave them a call, mine is the 17mm one.. £125 fitted......
If you’d told them it was rattly it should have been foc. Have you had it changed ?, how did you find the difference?.
Gavj
Great Britain

Post by Gavj »

Panman40 wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 3:33 am If you’d told them it was rattly it should have been foc. Have you had it changed ?, how did you find the difference?.
Haven't done anything about it, asked if it was a recall they said no, looked at my warranty... out by a few months....so chargable. I do use the bike over the winter but not as much...... got other priorities, pick up truck is due its mot & service so thats first.

Also ... they are booked up till November I think they said.....