Audio Upgrades

Got any questions about the BMW's R1200RT/R1250RT's onboard audio, Bluetooth or the Electrical system?
Mike Motorrad Audio
United States of America

Audio Upgrades

Post by Mike Motorrad Audio »

Afternoon everyone! We developed plug and play audio upgrade packages for the K1600's, and we had a lot of requests from the MOA Rally for the R1200/1250RT platform.

We are looking for someone local to the Richmond, VA area or within a reasonable distance, that would be interested in trading off time with their bike in exchange for a smoking hot deal on an upgrade. We really need access to both the 1200 and the 1250 so we can design proper length plug and play harnessing, amplifier mounting brackets, as well as upgrade speaker pods.

If this interests you, I'd love to hear from you. Message us on this thread, or shoot me an email at [email protected]

Thanks!
Mike
Motorrad Audio
www.motorradaudio.com
Totaled TL
Bike Model and Year: 2021 R1250RT
Been liked: 8 times
United States of America

Re: Audio Upgrades

Post by Totaled TL »

Interesting. Do you plan to develop rear spkr. panels for the RT also?
Mike Motorrad Audio
United States of America

We’re trying to design as many options as possible. Our new top case pods for the K1600 GT/GTL will likely crossover to other BMW models with the same top case.
Totaled TL
United States of America

Post by Totaled TL »

I saw those on the website but there was no price. It looked different than my RT in that the heated seat switch on my bike is on the seat not the bag.
How are those panels fastened to the saddlebags? Do they come with a harness of some sort that has to be spliced into the bikes audio system?
Mike Motorrad Audio
United States of America

If you select the options it populates the price. I doubt those panels would would fit any of the R series. The pods I mentioned aren’t live on the site yet, as we just finished videos and such a few days ago. Here’s a couple pics to give an idea.

If your adding speakers like this to the front or rear, you really need an amplifier to see any real benefit. All of our kits come with plug and play harnessing, which is what we’re trying to develop for the 1200/1250[

attachment=0]img_3175.jpeg[/attachment]
img_3173.jpeg
img_3173.jpeg (311.59 KiB) Viewed 1691 times
Attachments
img_3175.jpeg
img_3175.jpeg (244.35 KiB) Viewed 1691 times
Totaled TL
United States of America

Post by Totaled TL »

Thanks for the info. I would prefer them on the saddlebags because I often ride with no top box. Is that also being developed? Has anyone attempted fitting those panels to RT bags?
Mike Motorrad Audio
United States of America

We're certainly hoping to develop all kinds of things, but that's the reason for the post as we don't know what's do-able yet without a bike here. If the RT bags are similar to the GT/GTL K1600's then there wouldn't be any panels made for those, there's just not enough space to make something substantial.
Mike Motorrad Audio
United States of America

We have some packages now listed on the site, with more coming soon!

www.motorradaudio.com and click the "search by bike" button at the top of the page
TJRL
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 2 times
United States of America

Post by TJRL »

Hi Mike,

The R1200RT/1250RT kits look good!!

Can you give some idea what the improvement the stage 1 and stage 3 upgrades give over the stock R1250RT BMW audio?

I can just about see me dropping $1.4k for extra volume up front and perhaps going as far as adding rear speakers to get even better sounds.

But the issues I have with adding rear speakers is the damage to the top-box (& look of the pods?) and the $1,650 additional cost. But more info would help with the decision.

Finally, I did not find any pictures or video on YouTude showing the R1200/1250RT installation, did I miss it or is one due out soon?

Many thanks for bring these upgrades to our attention.

Best regards
Toby
2020 R1250RT, 2021 Triton ST-125, 1960 SII Land Rover.
Mike Motorrad Audio
United States of America

It’s a pretty dramatic upgrade in power and output. It’s hard to describe without hearing it though.

I shot a bunch of video for the installation last weekend, and was hoping to wait til the stage 2 pods were finished to include them all in one video. If needed I can certainly put it together to share if you want to see it sooner.

The rear pod style is a direct mirror of the style used in the fronts of the K1600’s. The front upgrade of the R1200/1250 will be different though, which could lead to a different rear design down the road.
TJRL
United States of America

Post by TJRL »

Mike,

Thanks for the quick response. Based on which, I think I might bite the bullet and spend the extra 11% and go for the "Stage 1.5" option. That way I can keep my options open and perhaps add the rear pods later. Particularly if I like the look of the redesigned pods if that does happen in the future.

For us 1250RT riders it would be great to see the installation videos now rather than waiting for the 2014-18 1200RT Stage 2 vids to be ready. Also it would be helpful if you could share the installation instructions on the website, so we can work out what is involved with the rear speaker pod installation and how it effects taking the top-box off.

Finally I have assumed that switching from speaker to helmet audio would not hurt the amp in anyway, is that assumption correct?

Sorry to hit you with so many questions, but $1.4k to 3.04k is a big investment and I hope your answers will be useful to others on here.

All the best
Mike Motorrad Audio
United States of America

No change to the interaction between the audio and headset, as the OEM system is still 100% handling everything.

I'll work on the video likely today and tomorrow between clients. Hopefully I'll have it up for everyone by tomorrow.

The video will cover all non-TFT models. We still need to get one of those in to verify any differences.
Mike Motorrad Audio
United States of America

Here's a couple pictures of the rear pods on a bike if it help for visualizing the look.
IMG_3591.jpg
IMG_3591.jpg (347.59 KiB) Viewed 936 times
IMG_3592.jpg
IMG_3592.jpg (322.03 KiB) Viewed 936 times
Mike Motorrad Audio
United States of America

Toby,

Installation video covering the Stage1 and 1.5 is now live at

The video applies to the 2014-2020 R1200RT/R1250RT

Let me know if you have any questions
TJRL
United States of America

Post by TJRL »

Hi Mike,

Many thanks for this. I will look at the video again (when I can run the sound!) but I think it shows all I needed it to.

In the meantime and picking up your offer "Let me know if you have any questions", just one. Why did you run to battery's positive terminal rather than use the "positive post" that BMW provided for accessory hookup (taking the battery out seems a wasted effort)?

The bad news for my bank manager, I think I will be ordering a kit (not sure which stage yet) when I get back from the Christmas break. :shock: