Tankbag vs kill switch

Got any tips and tricks for BMW R1200RT/R1250RT owners? feel free to share them here.
jtcompton
Bike Model and Year: R1200rt 2012
United States of America

Tankbag vs kill switch

Post by jtcompton »

Hey All, got a 2012 Camhead. Has anyone already done this?
The right handle bar switch is attached with one T8 screw. When the tool comes I plan to rotate the switch up say 20 degrees. That way the tankbag will hit the lower rocker (start) , and nothing will happen. The wire could be tied on the rear of the bar. I will let ya know now it goes. Thanks,
burridge01
Bike Model and Year: Modified "16" R1200RT
Been liked: 194 times
Great Britain

Re: Tankbag vs kill switch

Post by burridge01 »

Well I know full well what happens when the switch hits the bag :mrgreen:
Randyjaco
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2017
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 38 times
United States of America

Post by Randyjaco »

I guess BMW corrected the problem by 2017, because I have never experienced the problem. But I hope I never do.
Our Gee
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011
Been liked: 24 times
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

Well, I read the original post when it first appeared and to be truthful, didn't have the slightest idea just what our friend jtcompton is trying to tell us. After reading it again multiple times I'm still in the dark ! !. Please can anyone explain in simple terms what he is on about.
burridge01
Bike Model and Year: Modified "16" R1200RT
Been liked: 194 times
Great Britain

Post by burridge01 »

When the bike is on full right lock,some tank bags will make contact with the kill switch,as did mine 4 weeks ago in Portugal. No idea what tank bag he has but mine was a Bagster.Mine hit the kill switch and the inevitable happened.Mine is a 16 plate.
The op wants to rotate the kill switch away from the contact point.
Or maybe I read it completely wrong.
Our Gee
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011
Been liked: 24 times
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

Ahh, I see now. Thank's for that Burridge. Mind you repositioning the Combination Switch does seem to be a rather extreme solution. I've just popped into my garage and mounted my BMW Tank Bag, moved the steering full lock to lock without any "clash". I suppose that's one the risks with un-approved non BMW accessories. I had a similar experience when I fitted some Bar Risers. The accompanying literature said "No need to alter cables and wiring etc) which wasn't true. The Throttle cables where stretched very tight especially of full steering lock. I removed them.
Capt Sisko
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT LE - '18
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 59 times
Great Britain

Post by Capt Sisko »

Happened to me about three months ago on my '18 R1250RT. Taking an uphill tight hairpin at walking pace and on full lock. Done it before, no problems. This time though I had my tank bag on. The kill switch hit the tank bag and that was me on the losing end of a struggle to hold the bike up. The offending article, a Givi ST602Bhttps://www.givicn.com/en/product/st602b

If you look at the shape of it, it's slightly bulb shaped and it's that wider part that catches.
Steve398
Bike Model and Year: R1200RTLC, 2018
Has liked: 280 times
Been liked: 238 times
Isle of Wight

Post by Steve398 »

My Baglux didn’t hit the kill button on full lock but it did sound the (very loud) horn.

For those who had an ST 1300 Pan before the RT’s… I remember that someone in the US designed an aluminium guard that screwed to the LHS instrument cluster and prevented the horn from making contact with the tank bag, anyone remember it?

I don’t know (and I haven’t looked to see) if something similar could be made up?