New to RT

New to the forum? Please introduce yourself here.
1952gnome
Bike Model and Year: BMW F800GT 2014
Been liked: 1 time
United States of America

New to RT

Post by 1952gnome »

Hi! I am a prospective owner of an RT, hopefully 2014 or newer. I currently own a 2014 F800GT, before that an ST. Before that, the list gets kinda long, stretching back to the late 1960's, mostly Japanese and British. During a recent trip on the GT down to the Blue Ridge Parkway and back (3200 miles, round trip), I had a number of unpleasant experiences while on the slab, including a tank slapper while attempting to pass a semi. So I am currently investigating an RT as a possible cure for getting slammed around on the highway by turbulence. And hopefully the telelever front end will help with front end dive under hard braking.

I do have a couple of questions for forum members:
1. In the used bike market, what things should I be looking for in terms of wear and tear? As an example I have read a number of cautions regarding the rear wheel carrier cracking.
2. I am concerned about seat height, since my inseam is only 30" or so. The GT fits me fairly well, but I cannot flat foot with both feet unless the bike is loaded down.

I have modified the GT a bit; including bar risers, off-road style pegs (handy for standing up while riding, giving the legs a stretch), and an aftermarket Puig tall screen, to keep me from getting blown around. I also have a bar end lock mechanism for cruise control, though it is not adaptive. A Garmin 590 rounds out the more expensive mods. Panniers, but no top box. Had one on the ST, and it was more of a kite than anything else.

Tomorrow I am off to one of the local dealers to take a look at their (limited) inventory of R1200RT's. Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks Mike L
Doctor T
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 911 times
Been liked: 239 times
Great Britain

Re: New to RT

Post by Doctor T »

Welcome to the group. I have a 07 RT with the low seat. I can flat floor with both feet with my 29.5 inch inseam
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.
1952gnome
Bike Model and Year: BMW F800GT 2014
Been liked: 1 time
United States of America

Post by 1952gnome »

Thanks for the prompt reply! Very reassuring! I am off to take a look at a 2009 R1200RT this afternoon. Just missed a 2014 R1200RT over the last weekend. Sigh.
Randyjaco
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2017
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 38 times
United States of America

Post by Randyjaco »

1952gnome wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 5:09 am Hi! I am a prospective owner of an RT, hopefully 2014 or newer. I currently own a 2014 F800GT, before that an ST. Before that, the list gets kinda long, stretching back to the late 1960's, mostly Japanese and British. During a recent trip on the GT down to the Blue Ridge Parkway and back (3200 miles, round trip), I had a number of unpleasant experiences while on the slab, including a tank slapper while attempting to pass a semi. So I am currently investigating an RT as a possible cure for getting slammed around on the highway by turbulence. And hopefully the telelever front end will help with front end dive under hard braking.

I do have a couple of questions for forum members:
1. In the used bike market, what things should I be looking for in terms of wear and tear? As an example I have read a number of cautions regarding the rear wheel carrier cracking.
2. I am concerned about seat height, since my inseam is only 30" or so. The GT fits me fairly well, but I cannot flat foot with both feet unless the bike is loaded down.

I have modified the GT a bit; including bar risers, off-road style pegs (handy for standing up while riding, giving the legs a stretch), and an aftermarket Puig tall screen, to keep me from getting blown around. I also have a bar end lock mechanism for cruise control, though it is not adaptive. A Garmin 590 rounds out the more expensive mods. Panniers, but no top box. Had one on the ST, and it was more of a kite than anything else.

Tomorrow I am off to one of the local dealers to take a look at their (limited) inventory of R1200RT's. Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks Mike L
Welcome, from Friendswood, TX. I had an 800ST prior to my RT and actually desired a GT. My 17 RT came available as a smoking deal. So I really couldn't pass it up. The belt drive 800s are real sleepers. Most people have no idea how agile and fast they are. But the things that make them awesome make them pretty uncomfortable over time on the road. The RT is much more suited for traveling and it offers reasonable performance.
I have really enjoyed mine. I have a 29" inseam and it is high for me. My ST was slightly less. But I did add a Russell Day Long Seat. It is a masterpiece in comfort, but it did add another inch to seat height :oops: I wouldn't worry about rear carrier. There has been a lot of chatter about it, but the chance of occurrence is quite low. As far as maintenance is concerned, just be sure to do it, but it is about average. The folks here can help you out with
that. I would shoot for a 2015 or newer, as they removed a bunch of the problems by then.