Auxiliary/lights lights

Got any questions about the BMW's R1200RT/R1250RT's onboard audio, Bluetooth or the Electrical system?
sakm
Administrator
Bike Model and Year: 2016 R1200RT
Has liked: 452 times
Been liked: 398 times
Great Britain

Auxiliary/lights lights

Post by sakm »

I have the BMW auxiliary/fog lights on my bike that are conveniently wired in to the canbus system

Not so convenient when one of the lights lets in water and is now shining blue :roll:

Looking around a replacement is £200 :roll:

Does anyone know if there is any aftermarket lights that play nicely with the canbus system without showing up errors

I know from a few years ago you could wire in a resistor in to canbus systems to make the system think its pulling the same wattage which cancels out any bulb errors I suspect this system is a little bit more complicated than that
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Re: Auxiliary/lights lights

Post by Casbar »

By far the easiest way is to buy a hex ez or cansmart and then wire aux lights to this, such as Denali. You can do a lot more with these modules than just run aux lights. I run an extra set of led rear lights and front aux lights, that you can set to have different brightness for running lights, night time dip and full beam. You can also set them to go off when you indicate or strobe when you push your horn.

But not sure what bike you have and this will probably cost more than a replacement oem light, but on the plus side, you can always sell the kit on when you change bikes if it doesn't fit.
sakm
Administrator
Great Britain

Post by sakm »

Unfortunately I don't think a can smart or ezcan is the best route for me

For the cost of one I can just buy the light!

I also have no need for fancy lights on my bike I just want them either on or off

Also if I remove the lights and wiring and fit something else I still get errors! It has to go to bmw to be disabled

It's a bit of a pain to be fair and I also think bmw have stopped making these lights and gone to the nano lights which conveniently don't fit but I have found a place that has a few in stock
sakm
Administrator
Great Britain

Post by sakm »

I thought I would strip the light and get the part number etc to see if I can replace it

The module is a osram joule jflcf2.2 so I dropped osram an email and basically their reply was that they only supply the to OEM for them to make the lights and to contact them to get a new one!

Looks like I will be shelling out for a new light at this rate then :roll:
sakm
Administrator
Great Britain

Post by sakm »

Well I bit the bullet and ordered a set of new lights! I opted for replacing them as a pair with the newer Nano set which meant replacing part of the loom too as they have different connectors on :roll:

After looking more into it you simply cannot replace the stock lights for anything else as they are canbus controlled and as a result 3 of the 4 wires are permanently live with a 4th wire being the canbus wire that tells the lights to turn on and off

Replacing them with something else would have meant a seperate switch and relay or a EZcan controller and I would have had to take a trip to BMW to remove the coding for having auxiliary lights fitted otherwise you can get errors
PXL_20231015_134420784.jpg
PXL_20231015_134420784.jpg (319.76 KiB) Viewed 748 times
PXL_20231015_134430907.jpg
PXL_20231015_134430907.jpg (322.23 KiB) Viewed 748 times