Compatible phone for the RT1250

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
MattyP
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Compatible phone for the RT1250

Post by MattyP »

Hi all

The phone I currently use for my RT1250 (and everything else) is the Samsung Galaxy S10. As Samsung are now on version S23 you will see that my phone is ancient and, indeed, it is giving me a few problems (but not with the BMW Motorrad Connect side of things) so I need to replace it. I am however, very reluctant because I admit to being technically ignorant and the thought of starting from scratch with a different phone and transferring all the data across etc fills me with dread!

So, in replacing my phone my obvious priority is to buy one that is compatible with the RT1250 requirements in terms of size - so that it fits the compartment - and will accept wifi charging - and will allow the BMW Motorrad Connect app to run on top of all the other apps (apparently it needs to be the dominant app......typical BMW!) I can't really afford to buy the newest Samsung S23 so wondered if anyone has any great ideas of what I should go for? Also, once I have a new phone how can I transfer all the data / maps that are currently held within the BMW app on my existing S10?

I'm sure many of you will think I'm neanderthal but any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

Matt
PK22
Bike Model and Year: RT LE 2021
Great Britain

Re: Compatible phone for the RT1250

Post by PK22 »

I'm in the same boat. I want to buy a new phone with wireless charging that fits the 1250 charging compartment, preferably not stupidly expensive.
jesim1
Bike Model and Year: R1250RTLE 2022
Has liked: 53 times
Been liked: 31 times
Great Britain

Post by jesim1 »

Ok, they are not cheap, but they are what I know about, so any of the iPhones after and including the XR with wireless charging will fit and charge without a case in the space provided. I currently have the 14 pro max, and even it fits when you put it with the camera at the top and the screen face up as you look at it in the hole. With apple you can do a total transfer from an old phone ot a new one, I think the maps would carry over also, but this will be different on the hundreds of other phones out there 8-)
Doctor T
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 911 times
Been liked: 239 times
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

You lot are so modern. Upto 5 years ago i was still using a Nokia 3310. Great phone, lasted ages from a charge. Still on the orginal battery for 10 years.
These modern smart phones just dont last long and if you drop it the screen cracks. I only changed to a new phone as i wanted bluetooth. That was 5 years back and i hate it. Half the stuff on it i will never use and am lucky if the battery lasts 2 days on standby. If i could buy an old style Nokia with modern B/T i would be a happy man.
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.
burridge01
Bike Model and Year: Modified "16" R1200RT
Been liked: 194 times
Great Britain

Post by burridge01 »

Doctor T wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 1:49 pm You lot are so modern. Upto 5 years ago i was still using a Nokia 3310. Great phone, lasted ages from a charge. Still on the orginal battery for 10 years.
These modern smart phones just dont last long and if you drop it the screen cracks. I only changed to a new phone as i wanted bluetooth. That was 5 years back and i hate it. Half the stuff on it i will never use and am lucky if the battery lasts 2 days on standby. If i could buy an old style Nokia with modern B/T i would be a happy man.
The answer is out there :thumb:

https://www.googleadservices.com/pagead ... 2wI&adurl=

https://www.nokia.com/phones/en_gb/noki ... 8338641917
Doctor T
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

Mulder and Scully are even stuck on this one
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.
burridge01
Great Britain

Post by burridge01 »

Can you not see the link?
jesim1
Bike Model and Year: R1250RTLE 2022
Has liked: 53 times
Been liked: 31 times
Great Britain

Post by jesim1 »

Doctor T wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 1:49 pm You lot are so modern. Upto 5 years ago i was still using a Nokia 3310. Great phone, lasted ages from a charge. Still on the orginal battery for 10 years.
I'm not goinh to try and convince anyone to get the latest kit, but a smart phone these days is essential :oops:

Apart from making calls, they:

Take pictures, use text/messages/whatsap, send video/pictures, give you maps, navigation, Bluetooth, WIFI, internet access, pay for stuff, use emails, play music, plus a host of other bits n pieces to help you on any weekend trip............................ I honestly don;t know how people can get on these days without one, even when I log onto my PC these days I end up having to open an app to confirm it's me or something when I access certain sites, banking or buy stuff :roll:

Get an iPhone SE for just over £400 brand new, it has everything you need including wireless charging, and all my iPhones have lasted 3/4 years and then I sold them, they are great if you just take care of them - by comparison both my kids have killed every phone they have ever owned :oops:

James :cheers:
Doctor T
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

burridge01 wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 3:56 pm Can you not see the link?
NO
burridge01
Great Britain

Post by burridge01 »

It's under my comment,small I grant you but its definitely there in blue.You couldn't see another link I put up a couple of months ago when I and others could.Maybe something to do with resolution or some other computer gumf :mrgreen:
Oh well,it was a link to a Nokia phone with Bluetooth that may have intrested you with everything you wanted.
scunny12
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: 1200RT LE 2015
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 37 times
Great Britain

Post by scunny12 »

burridge01 wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 3:12 pm It's under my comment,small I grant you but its definitely there in blue.You couldn't see another link I put up a couple of months ago when I and others could.Maybe something to do with resolution or some other computer gumf :mrgreen:
Oh well,it was a link to a Nokia phone with Bluetooth that may have intrested you with everything you wanted.
Well I can see it ok. Must be his cheap phone or laptop? :lol:
burridge01
Great Britain

Post by burridge01 »

scunny12 wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 3:30 pm Well I can see it ok. Must be his cheap phone or laptop? :lol:
Boomtish :lol: :lol:
Doctor T
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

scunny12 wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 3:30 pm Well I can see it ok. Must be his cheap phone or laptop? :lol:
Not using a laptop. Am using a £3500 custom built tower computer.
MattyP
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by MattyP »

Hi all. Thanks for your input which has been amusing to say the least. Still not quite sure to make of it all though. I'll keep doing some research!

Matt
sakm
Administrator
Bike Model and Year: 2016 R1200RT
Has liked: 456 times
Been liked: 399 times
Great Britain

Post by sakm »

I too can't see the link on my computer! but I can on my mobile phone :?