Looking to buy an RT

New to the forum? Please introduce yourself here.
tarun32
Bike Model and Year: undecided
United States of America

Looking to buy an RT

Post by tarun32 »

Hi all,
Current Bonneville owner but looking to switch into an RT. For someone who is a college student, are the RTs a prudent choice? How is the maintenance if I were to only take it to local mechanics and what generations should I search for?
Randyjaco
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2017
Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 38 times
United States of America

Re: Looking to buy an RT

Post by Randyjaco »

Welcome Tarun. RTs are great bikes, but some years are better than others. The first question would be "What is your budget?" or what are you looking at? If the bike you buy is in good condition, maintenance shouldn't be much of a problem. Lots of people maintain their own bike. There are some special tools that make it easier though.
tarun32
Bike Model and Year: undecided
United States of America

Post by tarun32 »

I'd say with selling my bike, my total budget is 11k. I am looking at an 06 and 09 with 7700 miles and 15000 miles respectively.
Doctor T
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 911 times
Been liked: 239 times
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

Welcome to the site. You will get more answers in the general section
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.
jesim1
Bike Model and Year: R1250RTLE 2022
Has liked: 53 times
Been liked: 31 times
Great Britain

Post by jesim1 »

The older the bike the more work will be needed with maintenance etc, but as these are used by the majority of the police/ambulance services across Europe, you know they are a decent bet :P
Doctor T
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 911 times
Been liked: 239 times
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

jesim1 wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 6:01 pm The older the bike the more work will be needed with maintenance etc, but as these are used by the majority of the police/ambulance services across Europe, you know they are a decent bet :P
I will have to disagree with your first comment. Ive owned a lot of older bikes. If they have been looked after before there is ususally not more that basic maintainance needed. My 07 had full BMW service before i purchaced it and all ive needed to do is a yearly service.
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.
jesim1
Bike Model and Year: R1250RTLE 2022
Has liked: 53 times
Been liked: 31 times
Great Britain

Post by jesim1 »

Doctor T wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 1:57 pm I will have to disagree with your first comment. Ive owned a lot of older bikes. If they have been looked after before there is ususally not more that basic maintainance needed. My 07 had full BMW service before i purchaced it and all ive needed to do is a yearly service.
Everyone has an opinion - but on an old bike your looking at bearings/head races/brake pipes/brake caliper rebuilds/fork seals and even exhausts - you just don't need to bother with any of that on a newish bike :roll:

Any bike is reliable given the right maintenance :cheers: