Knee replacement

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Panman40
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 35 times
Great Britain

Knee replacement

Post by Panman40 »

So my 56 yr old wife has to have a complete knee replacement on the 24th… not what we expected but there it is.
Is there anyone that’s had a knee replacement and can still ride pillion on the RT or indeed any bike ?. It will be the end of my biking if she can’t.
Steve398
Bike Model and Year: R1200RTLC, 2018
Has liked: 280 times
Been liked: 238 times
Isle of Wight

Re: Knee replacement

Post by Steve398 »

Sorry to hear that Martin…
sakm
Administrator
Bike Model and Year: 2016 R1200RT
Has liked: 452 times
Been liked: 398 times
Great Britain

Post by sakm »

The father in law has had one done 3 times and one done once

He was 50 when he had his first done and is 81 now and no major issues as such and could do everything could before the replacements

The one he had done 3 times was due to the wrong size knee used the first time so had to be replaced again then after 25 years and bone shrinkage caused it to move so it had to be redone
burridge01
Bike Model and Year: Modified "16" R1200RT
Been liked: 194 times
Great Britain

Post by burridge01 »

My daughter in laws dad has had both replaced last year.He was back on his feet in 3 months and has done 2 euro rallies on his Lambretta.With the right physio anything is possible and she'll need to keep a positive attitude. Hope it goes well for her and you're both back on the bike :thumb:
Randyjaco
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2017
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 38 times
United States of America

Post by Randyjaco »

The most important thing to do after a total joint replacement is to religiously follow the rehab regimen. If she does that, she should be good to go. Not doing the regimen is a guaranteed fail.
Panman40
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 35 times
Great Britain

Post by Panman40 »

Thanks for the reply’s 🤗, hopefully it goes well and she’s not in to much pain and sticks to the rehab.
Elkinell
Bike Model and Year: 2020 R1250RT
Has liked: 85 times
Been liked: 43 times
Great Britain

Post by Elkinell »

Are there any alternatives? Has she been offered other treatments? Doctors have been trying to change bits of my knees since the early 90's and I keep saying no and work on building muscle around the joint to support it.I have spoken to people who say it's the best thing they ever did and have spoken to people who say otherwise.I wish her well and many more years of happy biking to you both. :cheers:
Doctor T
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 909 times
Been liked: 239 times
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

Firstly good luck. My mate had both knees exchanged under God's body old age warranty. 2 months later he was riding and sitting as a pillion. ive had a hip replacement 2/3 months i was back on the bike. Now waiting for the next one to be done
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.
B787MECH
Bike Model and Year: 2016 LC
Been liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Post by B787MECH »

Hi, I’ve had both knees replaced, one last year and the other two years before that. The good news is that I’m now fully mobile and can ride my bikes quite happily ( just been toSpain and Portugal). The bad news is it takes about 10-12 months to get full movement and function back and it’s essential to do the physio properly and fight through the pain. I go for a short bicycle ride every morning to keep them working fully but it’s worth it. The more effort you put in the better it gets. So it’s perfectly possible to carry on a full and active life. Good luck 👍