ESA stuck on sport mode?

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
fastpapaw2
Bike Model and Year: 2012 R1200RT
United States of America

ESA stuck on sport mode?

Post by fastpapaw2 »

My new to me 2012 RT seems to be stuck on sport mode. Very firm (bordering on rough) ride that doesn’t change even though the dash does. Does this sound like an electrical problem or internal to the shocks?
MarkW
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2012
Been liked: 3 times
Great Britain

Re: ESA stuck on sport mode?

Post by MarkW »

I had this exact problem on my RT, also 2012 model. It makes them horrible to ride doesn't it? - to the extent that I thought I'd made a horrible mistake moving from an R1100 which was like butter.
There is a small stepper motor in the lower end of the shock which operates a needle valve to alter damping. These can degrade with water ingress and stop working, and crud can build up in the internals and cause the needle to seize.
The solution is replacement shocks or have your existing unit(s) serviced - over here in the UK we have a brilliant guy who rebuilds them with new internal parts for a fraction of the cost of new shocks. I had both mine done (the rear was also leaking) early this year and the transformation was almost unbelievable - best money I have ever spent on a bike.
With luck you may find someone on your side of the pond providing a similar service, if not you coulad always contact our guy to see if he will accept work from your part of the world. It can't hurt to ask ;)

https://ttechsuspension.com/index.php/price-list/
fastpapaw2
Bike Model and Year: 2012 R1200RT
United States of America

Post by fastpapaw2 »

Yup terrible ride for sure! Took me a while to figure out what the heck was going on. I love the bike though. Haven’t checked the price of new OEM but a set of Ohlins at $1600 is always an option. Who is it that rebuilds them over there? Worth a try.
Doctor T
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 909 times
Been liked: 239 times
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

You will find a pair of Ohlins at $1600 is about the price of one OEM shock
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.