New Owner Now

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
81delorean
Bike Model and Year: 2005 R1200RT
Been liked: 1 time
United States of America

New Owner Now

Post by 81delorean »

I introduced myself on the newbie page a while back and I can now officially say that I am a new owner of a 2005 R1200RT. It was in just as good a shape as I was expecting it to be in when I saw it. After a 4.5hr drive to get it I would've been awfully disappointed if it wasn't. It had new plugs, oil/filter, fuel pump/filter and metal disconnects done before I got it. I am going to change the FD oil, transmission fluid, and it looks like I have a fork seals leaking a little so I'll take care of those to. I have done a lot of homework and research but I keep finding conflicting answers so I'm going to ask the dreaded newbie questions.

1.) Side panniers - How much effort should it take to lift the handle to open them? They pop up pretty easy with key button but the handle seems pretty stiff lifting it up. Normal? Is there was way to service them at all and maybe lube something?

2.) Transmission oil - 75w90 or 75w140? I live in Northern Arkansas.

3.) FD oil - 75w90 correct? I keep reading about 75w140 in FD but a lot of people seem against it. Side note: Has anyone ever tried to retrofit a drain plug on it? Or is that even possible?

I think that's all for now. Thanks in advance.
IMG_0895.JPG
IMG_0895.JPG (402.26 KiB) Viewed 418 times
Doctor T
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 909 times
Been liked: 239 times
Great Britain

Re: New Owner Now

Post by Doctor T »

For my 07 i use 80w full synthetic oil in the trans. The final drive is the same.140 sounds a bit too heavy for the application Engine i again use full synthetic oil 20w50
As for your question about panniers. Mine come off easy but the handle used to be stiff. I just use a silicon spray oil, squirt in the gaps where the handles go and after a while of use, they work better.
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.