Recall work

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Fourbears
Been liked: 5 times
Great Britain

Re: Recall work

Post by Fourbears »

My 2016 RT went in last week and had the software update, the foot peg pins and the cardan replaced as it had done 46000 miles. The dealer told me that it will be replaced again FOC after another 36000 miles. Obviously there is a problem!
Steve398
Bike Model and Year: R1200RTLC, 2018
Has liked: 280 times
Been liked: 238 times
Isle of Wight

Post by Steve398 »

I’ve just dropped mine in today, and specifically asked about their criteria.

According to the Service Dept it’s changed again, but now they will check on the current recall and replace FOC if necessary, and then check and replace if necessary again every 36,000 miles.

What I didn’t ask is, on the basis that they have accepted there is a problem, what happens if your shaft fails after they’ve checked and stated it’s OK?

I had a GS as a loaner, nice little thing, but covers your legs in road crap in poor weather. As an aside, their age limit for loaners is 76 yrs (2 yrs time for me 🙄), I think it’s an insurance thing… 🤔
Steve398
Isle of Wight

Post by Steve398 »

An interesting day… despite my best efforts to keep the shaft checked and greased every year to avoid such problems, I got a call from the dealing saying they’d replaced the shaft. :lol:
They also advised that it should be checked FOC in 36000 miles time, BUT suggested I pay to get it checked every 12000 miles at £90+vat, and if it were necessary a new shaft would again be fitted FOC.
All good stuff really… however I got caught in torrential rain both ways and spent a happy(?) 2.5 hours this afternoon cleaning all the road crap off the bike.
akroguy
Bike Model and Year: 2017 R1200 RT
Been liked: 1 time
United States of America

Post by akroguy »

After pondering over this and having a few bucks available, I chose to buy one of the rebuildable shafts from Beemershop and be done with it. I'll put it in myself and put a drain hole in the shaft housing if water collection there is evident. Riding in rain has been extremely rare here in New Mexico thus far for me.

The software "enhancement" from the dealer....not sure what that is and if the hassle of taking it in is worth the trip. The sales dept title processing department there couldn't get the title to me for FOUR MONTHS (used bike) so that experience alone makes me highly resistant to dealing with them ever again. Was mighty close to getting a lawyer involved.

I have aftermarket lowered pegs so the peg clip thing, don't care.

Instead of ramping up a steady replacement campaign for a lot of bikes, you'd think Motorrad would find it a wiser move to properly engineer the shaft with rebuildable/greaseable shaft joints. Spend the money once on R&D, instead of many years of just putting a band aid on the problem, producing known substandard parts and feeding corporate funds into the dealer service network. But hey, maybe there's an ulterior motive? Get lots of people on shiny new loaner bikes and tempt them? :shock: ;)

Edit: got the shaft today. (sorry bout the pun). It's fantastic! Really nicely made and the universals are smooth as warm butter. Also, it is phased exactly on plane, unlike the OEM shaft. With so many other pressing issues on other vehicles, not sure when I'll get it installed but I'm very happy with the quality thus far.
Last edited by akroguy on Fri Jan 12, 2024 4:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
BoB21
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 37 times
Great Britain

Post by BoB21 »

Had mine replaced today 64,000 miles. Told foc change at 36,000 but recommend check every 12,000. But could change.
7vwh
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2014
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 33 times
Great Britain

Post by 7vwh »

After receiving a letter regarding the footpeg recall I had the work done this morning.
New shaft,
Hole drilled in swing arm & grommet fitted.
All footrest circlips replaced.
Software update wouldn’t work so dealer report off to BMW.

Sept 2014 RTLC, 29,000 miles.

I paid for the valve check to be done and brake fluid change. Two of the engine cover bolts had seized and needed drilling out which was about £100 extra in labour and parts.
sakm
Administrator
Bike Model and Year: 2016 R1200RT
Has liked: 452 times
Been liked: 398 times
Great Britain

Post by sakm »

Where did you take yours @7vwh ?
7vwh
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by 7vwh »

sakm wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 7:16 pm Where did you take yours @7vwh ?
Barrie Robson, York
https://www.bmw-motorrad.co.uk/barriero ... /home.html

Can’t fault the BMW service as my bike was last at a dealer in September 2017! (It’s last software update was 2016).

Craig.
sakm
Administrator
Great Britain

Post by sakm »

7vwh wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:40 pm Barrie Robson, York

Can’t fault the BMW service as my bike was last at a dealer in September 2017! (It’s last software update was 2016).

Craig.
I'm torn between them and going to Grimsby!

I have had servicing done in Grimsby with no issues but never used Barrie Robson
7vwh
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by 7vwh »

sakm wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:07 pm I'm torn between them and going to Grimsby!
I have had servicing done in Grimsby with no issues but never used Barrie Robson
I've heard some horror stories about both dealerships, mainly the sales side. When I had the warranty I travelled to Rainbow at Rotherham. I'd only heard of York recently and being at Market Weighton thought I'd give them a go.
DaveCly
Bike Model and Year: RT1200 Iconic
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 8 times
Great Britain

Post by DaveCly »

Called in at Williams (Manchester) today, re - recall on foot rest clips, while there asked about the software update and the driveshaft, they asked the mileage, just over 39k … right we’ll order you a shaft in, and do it all next week 👍
DaveCly
Bike Model and Year: RT1200 Iconic
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 8 times
Great Britain

Post by DaveCly »

Above work carried out today, slight wear on shaft they said, to be expected I suppose, but no rust !
They found a slight leak, on the front telelever suspension, only warranted up to 30k they seemed to think, the good news (I hope) is it was replaced at 12k so this one as only done 27k, so there trying for a replacement from BMW … 🤞
Steve398
Isle of Wight

Post by Steve398 »

A footnote to this thread -

After Bahnstormers BMW replacing the shaft free of charge last month (thank you 👍) I’ve since noticed that on a couple of occasions the rear rubber gaiter had become misplaced, thus exposing the shaft to water ingress. This of course happened in style as I hadn’t noticed it until I’d thoroughly hosed the bike off.

So I contacted Bahnstormers who immediately arranged to have the bike back in for inspection, the result was a new gaiter (about £50) and the 90mins labour free of charge.

We all moan about BMW on occasion, but thumbs up to them over this one. 👍👍

PS. The one downside was that the weather was absolute 💩 and it took me 3 hours to clean the bike!
sakm
Administrator
Great Britain

Post by sakm »

7vwh wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:40 pm Barrie Robson, York

Craig.
Well my experience has been totally to opposite to yours.

I paid them a visit today to get the bike booked in rather than ring up I thought I would take a ride

I walked in and said I want to book the bike in for the recall for the footrest clips

I was then asked when its next due a service!! I thought bit bold of them to assume I was going to use them or a BMW dealer for a service!

I said not till the October he replied with just wait till then! I then mentioned that I had already lost one and replaced it myself to which he replied to just keep an eye on them!

I then said my MOT is due in June you can do them then they said yeah just book it in

I also asked if there was any other recalls that would need doing the reply I got was depends on the bike year and mileage

At that point I just said OK I will get it sorted and walked out! I will never return again

At no point did they enter my details to check the bike or mileage or even seem bothered I felt like I was an inconvenience to them!

What worries me is that there is a service campaign for the rear drive shaft and they are replacing them if they don't meet the specs or at a certain mileage

I might not be alive in June to take it in for MOT and to get the clips changed if the shaft give up the ghost :?
Steve398
Isle of Wight

Post by Steve398 »

Well, if you will live ‘oop North’… our Southern dealerships are only staffed by polite people, like their customers :lol: