DAB - poor signal

Having problems with the BMW Navigator V VI or the TFT display?
gadgetgaz
Been liked: 2 times
Great Britain

DAB - poor signal

Post by gadgetgaz »

The DAB signal drops out repeatedly in areas where DAB works reliably in my car. Is the DAB aerial really poor on this bike?
2023 R1205RT LE Sport Blue. Retired motorcycle cop now IT consultant and RoSPA RoADAR examiner.
Loopers
Bike Model and Year: R1250RTLe 2023
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 11 times
Great Britain

Re: DAB - poor signal

Post by Loopers »

I've not had any issues yet but hen most of the time I listen to music via Spotify on my phone, the problem lies under your bum probably as the radio system ecu is under the pillion seat and there is no external arial that I have found yet.
gadgetgaz
Great Britain

Post by gadgetgaz »

I think I saw a video from BMW when this model was released in 2021 that said the radio and DAB aerials are fastened across and underneath the tank.
I'm not obstructing that area at all so I don't know why the DAB signal strength is so poor.
Generally the only usable DAB channels are the ones from the BBC which I assume are the strongest.
2023 R1205RT LE Sport Blue. Retired motorcycle cop now IT consultant and RoSPA RoADAR examiner.
Fourbears
Been liked: 5 times
Great Britain

Post by Fourbears »

I think if you look on www.bmwlt.com this is well documented on the late 1200/new 1250 . From reading some of the stuff it seems that people have either relocated the aerial or fitted one somewhere else on the bike.
gadgetgaz
Great Britain

Post by gadgetgaz »

New finding - This fixes your DAB signal:

There are 3 aerial connectors on the radio unit: leftmost is red, middle one is white, rightmost is black

red is the FM aerial
white is the DAB aerial
black is I don't know what but if you unplug this black aerial the DAB radio bursts into life!

I'm yet to figure out what the black aerial is for. It's not bluetooth because my Sena still connects. Could it be an aerial for the tyre pressure monitors? Could it be an aerial for the cellular transmitter that must be there due to the SOS functions?

Whatever it is, it destroys the DAB signal!