Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: 2019 R1250RT LE
Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 163 times
Wales

It's on it's way

Post by EasyRider »

I did it.

I took the punt and bought the 2019/69 R1250RT LE with one owner from new and 15,780 miles.
In the end i got it for £10,100 Plus £100 delivery. Have been told it will be here on Thursday this week.
I now have the winter to sort out the marks on the painers and any corrosion on the engine and swing-arm.
I know i won't be riding it untill the spring, But i'm looking forward to having it here.
Got to save up now for some Heed engine bars, Sat-Nav, Bar risers and lowerd foot pegs.

19.jpg
19.jpg (421.5 KiB) Viewed 1007 times
3.jpg
3.jpg (412.03 KiB) Viewed 1007 times
Dont Ride Faster, Than Your Angel Can Fly. :thumb:
Capt Sisko
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT LE - '18
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 60 times
Great Britain

Re: It's on it's way

Post by Capt Sisko »

Nice one and it looks the same colour combination as mine. It's called Black (Carbon-Schwarz metallic) but is actually a very very deep Navy Blue in the right light.

Ref lowered footpegs, below is a link to the set I bought from Amazon. They're every bit as good as the Wunderlich ones, but a fraction of the price.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B09 ... =UTF8&th=1

If you are going to go down the lower footpeg route, a few tips.
1. Watch the Wundlerlich video on how to fit them a couple of times. It really is a good step by step explanation.
2. The footpeg pins that you have to drive out will have corrode and seized up. Apply several doses of penetrating oil over the preceding days will make it easier, but even then I suspect you'll still end up hitting them with a big hammer & drift. Clean, grease with waterproof grease before reassembly.
3. You'll nee a T47 Torx bit and extension to reach the bolt holding the RH footrest plate on. You reach the bolt head via the gap between the top of the exhaust and underside of the engine. Awkward, but not difficult.
4. The return spring for the hinged footrest is a real sod to put back on. The video shows it just clipping into place with a little bit of help from screwdriver. Me, I swore & cursed.
4. Make sure you've got a few spare circlips* for the said pins. One of mine went ping when I took it off and hasn't been seen since.
5. Lastly, the lowering kit pushes your feet out a little wider as well as lower. Personally I found this added to the comfort, but it does move your feet away from the foot controls a little. It doesn't seem to matter on the gear lever side, (and don't forget to adjust the gear lever down by a bit as well), but I found the rear brake lever no longer fell in the right position for my foot. After a bit of assuming I'd just get used to it, I didn't. In the end I ordered a brake lever extender to make it right, and they're not cheap, £60 from N.N.

Recalls. There are two applicable for this bike. One is for the aforementioned *circlips that hold the footpegs in place and the other is a software update; something to do with to do with monitoring the rear suspension. I got a letter about the circlips a week or so ago but only found out about the software update when I rang up to book the bike in for the circlip jobbie.

Shaft drive splines
. Whilst I was chatting to the service guy about clips I asked about the splines as there are lots of contradiction kicking around the web and there are two issues going on. The first is to do with GS's and Police Spec RTs. These need to have a vent nipple fitted to the shaft drive housing, but this is not needed for civilian spec RT's. The second though does affect us. What they are now saying is that the shaft drive itself is becoming a 'service' part and now needs greasing at the 12 mile service point and replacing at 37k (or 50,000 KM). This is both good & bad news.

The bad news bit is BMW won't pay for greasing of the splines and they quoted me about £100 to do it. The good news bit is that because of the age of our bikes and the fact they've changed the rules since they were initially sold, they will replace the shaft drive at 37k and at their expense. If you buy a new bike now, you'll have to pay for it at 37k. Whilst I am quietly grateful for that, can you imagine the uproar if BMW told their car drivers they propshaft were only fit for 37,000miles and it was going to cost them £XYZ to replace.
Last edited by Capt Sisko on Tue Nov 28, 2023 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

I would disagree with the point about the shaft tunnel breather not being needed. 3 of our civilian R1250RT blood bikes have all had the shafts changed and the tunnel breather fitted. They are bog standard marked up civilian RTs, so if it's necessary on them, then it should be on our own bikes, so seems like a cost saving exercise.
EasyRider
Subscriber
Wales

Post by EasyRider »

Is it Thursday yet, is it, is it.. :lol:

Thanks for the info about the foot pegs :thumb:

I have checked and there are no recall outstanding for this bike. I think they were done at the last service in September, which was 20 miles ago.

It look like no matter what the mileage was, the bike was serviced every year as it has lets say 16K on it and has had 5 services all at BMW.

Going to leave it untill spring/summer and i'm going to take out the BMW 5 services plan for £1350. Which is worth it IMO.
EasyRider
Subscriber
Wales

Post by EasyRider »

How will i cope, the bike wont be here now untill Friday. That extra day will feel like months :lol: :lol: :lol:
Capt Sisko
Great Britain

Post by Capt Sisko »

EasyRider wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:35 pm How will i cope, the bike wont be here now untill Friday. That extra day will feel like months.
Try some fantasy shopping to pass the time!
EasyRider
Subscriber
Wales

Post by EasyRider »

How about this for a good service by any dealer.
I bought the bike on the 28th November.
I won't be using it untill spring (beginning of April).
I asked the owner if the 3 months warranty could start from April.
The reply i got was "Yes" no problem. He even put it on my invoice to.
Will name the dealer once i have the bike here and i'm happy.
All i've seen are hi-res phots so far and 3 phone call to the owner.
So far it been a very good experience.
EasyRider
Subscriber
Wales

Post by EasyRider »

So today is the day (i hope) that my new to me RT gets delivered.
Being a typical man i've been going on about it to the wife.
But yesterday, she turned around to me and told me to shut up about that bloody bike.
So i then made the mistake of saying to her "well a bike is for life, but not a wife".
That did not go down very well :lol:, but i did enjoy it as she was not talking :blah: to me all afternoon :lol: .

I've been very good as well so far. As when i buy a new bike i hit ebay for the accessories to make it mine.
This time i've only bought 3 items. Handlebar risers, lower pegs and touch up paint for the scratch on the pannier.
Steve398
Bike Model and Year: R1200RTLC, 2018
Has liked: 281 times
Been liked: 240 times
Isle of Wight

Post by Steve398 »

The very important thing to buy is the headlight protector, if the plastic lens on the headlight gets a hit and breaks then you’re looking at around £1000 for a new headlight!

https://www.nippynormans.com/r1200rt-20 ... rt-to-2020

You’ll also discover that the OEM horn is quieter than a sparrows fart, so either Denali or Hornig

https://www.motorcycleparts-hornig.com/ ... -Horn.html
EasyRider
Subscriber
Wales

Post by EasyRider »

Yippeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

My new to me R1250RT is here.
I am well happy with it and it's all that i was told and more.

I bought it from "Conquest Motorcycles" in Wimborne Dorset.
The Owner "Howard" is a great guy to deal with and made buying the RT very enjoyable.
Everything i was told about the bike including the photos was spot on and true.
It was delivered by "Lee" who was very helpful and a all round nice guy.

When i told Howard that i wanted to buy the RT he asked me for just £200 deposit.
He said pay the rest when the RT was delivered and i was happy with it.
How many places do that these days.

The RT was a Px at a BMW main dealers. But because it had nearly 16,000 miles on it, the BMW dealer would not put in into stock.
It was only 4 years old in September and has a full BMW main dealer service history with 5 service stamps in the book.
There lost is my gaine so to speak.

I just need to wait now till the spring to start riding her, which is going to be hard.
Also the damage to the right pannier is not that bad. luckily the whole bike has that plastic protection film on it.
So where i thought the paint was damaged on the pannier it's not its just the protection film.
The marks on the black plastic part of both panniers is very light and the photos made it look worst that it is.

I know i could of waited before buy the RT, but it was such a good deal i had to buy it. i'm not going to loose money it sitting in the garage for 4 months. Because as soon as spring is here we all know the prices will go up anyway.
EasyRider
Subscriber
Wales

Post by EasyRider »

Ok, the bike is a write off. I just checked under the seat and the oil filler spanner is missing. :lol:

Anyone got a OEM one spare that i could buy please. :thumb:
Capt Sisko
Great Britain

Post by Capt Sisko »

EasyRider
Subscriber
Wales

Post by EasyRider »

Well Artie (RT) spent its first night in the garage with all the other bikes.
It looks like there all getting on together and Artie has made some new friends.

BTW I name all my bikes.

Gen1 Hayabusa is "Busa"
Gen2 Hayabusa is "Genny"
Varadero is "Squeak"
ZX9R is "Red"
R1250RT is "Artie"

Sadly its to bloody cold to do anything down the garage today, so i'm staying indoors and posting more dribble on here. :-D
Capt Sisko
Great Britain

Post by Capt Sisko »

If you fancy a few themed rides to get you motivated (not that "Artie" won't be giving you quick glances or a gentle nudges once the hour changes), have a look at these ideas.

1. Welsh Photo Challenge. Apparently it's been running a while but I've only just discovered it and as Wales is just over the border to me I'll probably end up certainly doing some, if not all.
https://sites.google.com/view/welsh-pho ... /wpc2024ad

2. Old Petrol Stations. Similar photo challenge but revolving around old dial type petrol pumps.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/396157617412747

3. The same facebook page group also ran a similar photo challenge a couple of years ago based the old wooden AA Boxes.
https://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/wiki/index.php

4. Iron Butt Association. The Big Daddy of long distance riding. There's no membership fee, club house or committee, the only way to join is to complete an SS1000 - 1000miles in under 24hrs. Their main event is the Royal British Legion Riders event in June to raise money for the British Legion. There is a taster 500 and the main 1000. I've done the former once and the latter twice. Hard work, but very satisfying and I'll be doing third 1000 in June.

The also do 'Ride to Eat' meetings. Basically someone nominates a pub or cafe somewhere. You ride there, have a bite to eat, chin wag and ride back. A good excuse for a day out as it make you ride to areas you wouldn't normally consider going to.

None of the above has any prizes, just the kudos of doing it (and for the RBLR 1000, to raise money for a good cause).

Several website to look at if you're interested and if you fancy the RBLR 1000 happy to give any advice.
https://ironbutt.co.uk/
Public - https://www.facebook.com/iron.butt.asso ... sclosure=0
Private - https://www.facebook.com/groups/450911261784062
https://www.rblr1000.co.uk/
https://www.facebook.com/groups/2136600153073601
sakm
Administrator
Bike Model and Year: 2016 R1200RT
Has liked: 456 times
Been liked: 399 times
Great Britain