EasyRider
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: 2019 R1250RT LE
Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 162 times
Wales

How it's changed

Post by EasyRider »

When i was young, and first got into riding road bikes. It was all about fitting clip-on handlebars and rearsets, to get that low racing look.
But as the years have gone by, every bike i now ride has handlebar risers fitted, along with lower foot pegs.
Where i use to race around everywhere, now i just potter along most of the time at the speed limit.
I use to get the front wheel in the air whenever i could, and have the loudest exhaust.
But now, the front wheel is alway in contact with the road and i hate loud exhausts.
As for speed, I've done the needle off the clocks on a Hayabusa. But now going fast is 95 on the m-way. i can't remember the last time i went over 100.
When did i get old at only 55 years young.
My Kawasaki ZX9R has clip-on and rearsets and a loud exhaust, But i don't ride it. its more a memory of how i was when younger.
I also think that is was easier to get away with being silly in the 80's & 90's, but now there are to many cameras and dash cams out there, and the Gov need every penny it can get from us.

As a side note. Even i think this new 20mph speed limit here in wales is stupid.
Dont Ride Faster, Than Your Angel Can Fly. :thumb:
exportman
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2023
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 40 times
Great Britain

Re: How it's changed

Post by exportman »

I hear you

I started riding in the 70s and yes silly things like a Honda CB250 with 2 into 4 pipes and flat bars ( my excuse is I was still on L Plates) Now if I get on anything resembling a sports bike after about an hour I crippled. For me the RT does everything I need its quick when I want to be it eats B roads and its comfortable enough to ride all day.

As for ridiculously low speed limits they only serve to make generally sensible and law abiding road users to break the speed limit and get a fine
Road users who are going to travel at inappropriate speeds will do so not matter what the limit
Capt Sisko
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT LE - '18
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 59 times
Great Britain

Re: How it's changed

Post by Capt Sisko »

Did the whole RD400 with Ace Bars, Rearsets, Micron Expansion Chambers, Steering Damper, a little cockpit fairing and the concave Cibie headlight. Thought I was the bees knees and Gods gift to women. Turns out I was neither.