RT will not Idle

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
vulcanbike
Been liked: 2 times
Canada

RT will not Idle

Post by vulcanbike »

Just changed out the left Cam Chain tensioner at 173000kms on my 2011 R1200RT. Started it up after the job and it seemed to run kind of lumpy. Went ahead and did a valve service. Changed out 6 shims to get back near the middle range. First major shim job since new. Synched the Throttle bodies. Started bike up and it runs fine cold, but when it gets up to operating temp it will not idle for long and quits. Starts right back up. Went for a ride today and no problem other than the idle. Tried turning the throttle three times with bike off and then restarting, but no help.
Any thoughts?
CaseyK
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2008
Has liked: 3 times
Netherlands

Re: RT will not Idle

Post by CaseyK »

My first thought was to suggest re-checking the chain tensioner work, unless you believe the idle problem arising at the same time is purely coincidental. Not familiar with how it works on the RT yet, but on my 2016 650 Sport when I replaced the tensioner some weeks ago I had to lock the timing in place with a special tool so the chain would not, say, jump a tooth.
Quico
Bike Model and Year: 2010 R1200RT
Has liked: 2 times
Portugal

Post by Quico »

Since you synched the throttle bodies, check live data (motoscan or GS911) to see if on idle the TPS are at 0º, the ICV only work if the TPS e at 0º.
vulcanbike
Canada

Post by vulcanbike »

Today January 30th I got my bike back from the shop. The mechanic checked all the work I had done and confirmed that after he re synced the throttle bodies all was well except for a lumpier that normal idle. He needed a tool to check the cam timing which turned out to be a touch off. According to the research I did it tells me their actually is a specific procedure for the setting cams if they are out of phase . This includes pre tensioning the chains to a specific force. My conclusion after discussing the matter with the mechanic was that by changing the left tensioner that chain was now tighter than the right one causing the problem. So with labor at $162.00 per hour and a set of new plugs a tidy sum of $1362.00 was my gift!!! Bike runs fine now.