EasyRider
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: 2019 R1250RT LE
Has liked: 87 times
Been liked: 160 times
Wales

Heated Items

Post by EasyRider »

I know that the users of this forum are mostly north of 50.
I've never found the need for anything heated apart from heated grips.
So would like to see how many use other heated items when riding.
Going by another thread on the forum, my thinking is wrong and out of date.
Dont Ride Faster, Than Your Angel Can Fly. :thumb:
EasyRider
Subscriber
Wales

Re: Heated Items

Post by EasyRider »

Can i ask, how often do members use the heated riders seat.
Yes i like the tech, But i'm not sure i will use it.
I dont even use them in my car lol.

BUT my wife, the first thing she does after starting her car is, heated seat ON, heated Steering Wheel ON.

One item i will recommed if you are a winter rider, are BarkBuster BBZ. They are great at keeping the cold wind off the tips of you fingers.

Link

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorc ... rod/522797
Doctor T
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 909 times
Been liked: 239 times
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

I use the seat and grips on very cold rides but it has to be cold. Never used the heated seats or steering wheel in my car
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.
sakm
Administrator
Bike Model and Year: 2016 R1200RT
Has liked: 452 times
Been liked: 396 times
Great Britain

Post by sakm »

If the heated grips are on so is usually the seat

As for hand guards they aren't needed on the RT

I wear summer gloves all year round even yesterday at 3 degrees with summer gloves the heated grips was only on setting 3! Setting 4 is way too hot and actually burns my hands
EasyRider
Subscriber
Wales

Post by EasyRider »

sakm wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:30 pm As for hand guards they aren't needed on the RT
That is good to know, thank you.
But i wont be riding mine in the winter. and if others have a winter hack like i do and its not an RT, then the BBZ are worth thinking about.
Capt Sisko
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT LE - '18
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 59 times
Great Britain

Post by Capt Sisko »

I don't think heated motorbike boots exist, but heated socks and insoles do. I use the latter and they're brilliant.

Vest, grips & insoles usually does it for me but I also have heated trousers. In a naked bike they are useful, on an RT they're really only necessary on the coldest of days.
DaveCly
Bike Model and Year: RT1200 Iconic
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 8 times
Great Britain

Post by DaveCly »

Depends what bike I’m on, but while on shift on an RT, its Heated grips - seat - body warmer - and best thing I’ve bought Socks, especially at 7c and less, but I always suffer from cold feet !
On winter bike, I have no heated seat, and I don’t use my own RT very much in the winter.
Capt Sisko
Great Britain

Post by Capt Sisko »

We as warm blooded animals can only produce so much heat and insulation can only trap so much of it. Helmets do a reasonable job at protecting the brain from the cold, but for the rest we have to protect the body at about +36c from a winters day air temperature of let's say +5c, all in the space about an inch or so of clothing, less where it's compressed. That's a big ask without even starting to talk about windchill, creepage or leakage (and maybe not so top notch insulation in the first place). Now add in the fact our metabolism slows with age,(and I'm no spring chicken) we're basically sitting on our arses when we ride and we're not producing an extra heat by physical exercise. Given that and given the loses we're going to sustain riding into the wind, your body simply just ain't going to produce enough heat for the textile, insulation etc to keep us warm when the pendulum swings too far in the cold direction. In a nutshell that's why I use heated kit for long journeys. I can't do much to help the old & achy bits, but I can do something to help with the cold.
Last edited by Capt Sisko on Tue Jan 30, 2024 4:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sullivj
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 21 times
Great Britain

Post by Sullivj »

I recently fitted one of these to my Deauville, On full power, it gets SO hot, I had to turn it down.

It wires straight to the battery and an ignition live (to stop you leaving it on by mistake). Velcro attachment to your seat and a quick disconnect, waterproof plug.

For just over £20, it's a superb investment.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005 ... ry_from%3A
smileymiley
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 17MY
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times
Great Britain

Post by smileymiley »

Merino base layers with Keis waistcoat, which must be nearly 20 years old! Still works a treat, only had to change the zip last year. Grips & seat on, toasty.
Daytona goretex touring boots with normal socks, never had cold toes.
Normally short gloves unless its below 0° then Alpinestars 365 go on.
Vini, Vidi, Velcro....... I came, I saw, I stuck around.
Doctor T
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 909 times
Been liked: 239 times
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

Capt Sisko wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:21 pm We as warm blooded animals can only produce so much heat and insulation can only trap so much of it. Helmets do a reasonable job at protecting the brain from the cold, but for the rest we have to protect the body at about +36c from a winters day air temperature of let's say +5c, all in the space about an inch or so of clothing, less where it's compressed. That's a big ask without even starting to talk about windchill, creepage or leakage (and maybe not so top notch insulation in the first place). Now add in the fact our metabolism slows with age,(and I'm no spring chicken) we're basically sitting on our arses when we ride and we're not producing an extra heat by physical exercise. Given that and given the loses we're going to sustain riding into the wind, your body simply just ain't going to produce enough heat for the textile, insulation etc to keep us warm when the pendulum swings too far in the cold direction. In a nutshell that's why I use heated kit for long journeys. I can't do much to help the old & achy bits, but I can do something to help with the cold.
It wasn't until last year that i found out that you can buy Merino under pants/boxers. The wife let me buy one pair for £18.00. They work really well keeping the wrinkly bits warm. Along with just my base layer under my RST 6 PRO suit am in the green on the temp scale.
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.
Capt Sisko
Great Britain

Post by Capt Sisko »

Doctor T wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 12:58 pm It wasn't until last year that i found out that you can buy Merino under pants/boxers.
Yeah, I've got a pairs of these, from Rohan I think, and yeah, they're good.