ilium motor guards

Looking for Aftermarket parts and Accessories for your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT or found something useful you want to share? Or just a general question?
stevekraft
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
United States of America

ilium motor guards

Post by stevekraft »

I recently received Iliumworks cylinder guards for my 2022 R1250RT. these were the newer version, 36-200.
After some work, i got the guards on only to find the cross bar holes do not align with the holes on the guard arms.
still waiting on Iliumworks to get back to me, but has anyone else had this problem and what was your solution?
thanks. my bike is all apart while awaiting rec's from IW.
Steve
tewatson
Bike Model and Year: 2023 R1250RT
Been liked: 4 times
United States of America

Re: ilium motor guards

Post by tewatson »

Very interesting. Had the exact same issue, plus two others:
  • The right side engine bar bracket did not align with the lower mounting boss on the engine case (off by at least 5mm).
  • One of the pannier guard bars did not fit on the mounting base lugs (bar shape was off by 2-3mm).
Mounted the pannier guards first since it was a simpler job. When I saw the mis-sized bar, Ilium promised to send a replacement. I thought "OK - anyone can make a simple mistake." However, upon attempting to install the engine bars and seeing the bigger issues there, it meant three out of the seven components in the set were manufactured incorrectly. NOPE. That points to much wider manufacturing and/or QC issues, so I sent the whole lot back for a refund. It was a project disassembling the bodywork to install, and there was no guarantee the replacement parts would fit. I could not just leave everything disassembled while waiting and had no desire to repeat the entire process.

Went with Machine Art Moto X-Head cylinder guards instead. Not as durable a solution perhaps, but much cleaner and cheaper.

Tom
simskid
Bike Model and Year: 2024 R1250RT
Been liked: 1 time
United States of America

Post by simskid »

I have a 2024 RT. Same as tewamson for me. The right side engine didn't fit. Also the cross bar was not correct. Illiuum sent me a new right side and was a perfect fit . Still waiting on the cross bar. The rear bagger guards fit perfect. The owners of Illium (originally in California) retired and sold to a firm in Phoenix. Might be still working out some bugs. I've used Illium on several past RTs. The folks in Phoenix are more than accommodating. Hyway pegs go on next.

Cheers

John
Indyrob63
Bike Model and Year: 2024
Has liked: 1 time
United States of America

Post by Indyrob63 »

I have a 2024 R1250 on order and am planning to put engine guards on it. Still looking around at the best options. My dealer recommended Illium but from this thread it appears they are having some issues lately. Can you add a picture to the latest set that you got from them made in Phoenix that fit well? Thanks!