Hi from GB

New to the forum? Please introduce yourself here.
Andybzx9r
Bike Model and Year: 2022
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 4 times
Great Britain

Hi from GB

Post by Andybzx9r »

I currently have a Kawasaki ZX9 but will be purchasing an RT in the coming weeks.
Hopefully get to see some thoughts on the bike here and hopefully some guidance on which to buy.
Looking forward to our chats.
Cheers.
Jeffem
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2017
Has liked: 27 times
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Re: Hi from GB

Post by Jeffem »

Welcome.

I returned to Beemers after 17 years on a VFR. The biggest changes for me are:-

1. Remember to take a more relaxed approach to gear changes, it’s a big shafty, ride the torque.
2. The comfort.
3. Seeing so much more as you ride.

Come on in, the water’s fine!
8-)
Slow in, fast out.
Andybzx9r
Great Britain

Post by Andybzx9r »

Hi Jeffem
Thanks for the advice, I’m particularly looking forward to the quick shifter.
Oh and of course the rider comfort.
Jeffem
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2017
Has liked: 27 times
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by Jeffem »

My bike didn’t come with quick shift. I believe it’s optional on some models so if that’s what you need make sure you confirm before purchase.
Slow in, fast out.
Capt Sisko
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT LE - '18
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 60 times
Great Britain

Post by Capt Sisko »

Mine did and they're not all they're cracked up to be when paired to certain engine types. You have to remember quick shifters were developed for the track, to work at revs and to compliment a close ration gearbox. What we've got is a big twin, spread out gears and as 'Jeffem' said "it’s a big shafty, ride the torque". Don't get me wrong, they do work when you're hustling along, but they'll never be as good or as smooth as they are are on a more sports oriented bike and if the 'black box' on mine ever failed I wouldn't pay the couple of hundred quid a replacement is bound to cost.

A couple of lessons learned from my purchase of my '18 R1250RT.
1. IF the bikes been stood for a while, make sure the battery is in good condition. There's a known issue of the bike starting okay, you then stop to fill up a few miles later and the bike won't start with all the symptoms of a flat battery. Then it'll just clear itself and say, me, no, what problem and mysteriously go away for a couple of weeks. A new battery with a high cold cranking capacity is the only answer.
2. Ask about the shaft and of the splines have been greased. They can seize up. Plenty of post here and elsewhere about it.
3. Make sure you get the Grey 'Emergency Key' with it.
4. Check the tyres. RTs need the heavier duty GT tyres which are more expensive and some people skimp on this. It's not going to stop the bike from working, but can be a haggling point.
5. Don't get hung up about it if it doesn't come with a radio, you can't hear it though a helmet & ear plugs. I never use mine.
Doctor T
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 911 times
Been liked: 239 times
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

Welcome to the site. Where are you in the UK? Any questions just ask in the general section
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.
Doctor T
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

Capt Sisko wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:49 am Mine did and they're not all they're cracked up to be when paired to certain engine types. You have to remember quick shifters were developed for the track, to work at revs and to compliment a close ration gearbox. What we've got is a big twin, spread out gears and as 'Jeffem' said "it’s a big shafty, ride the torque". Don't get me wrong, they do work when you're hustling along, but they'll never be as good or as smooth as they are are on a more sports oriented bike and if the 'black box' on mine ever failed I wouldn't pay the couple of hundred quid a replacement is bound to cost.

A couple of lessons learned from my purchase of my '18 R1250RT.
1. IF the bikes been stood for a while, make sure the battery is in good condition. There's a known issue of the bike starting okay, you then stop to fill up a few miles later and the bike won't start with all the symptoms of a flat battery. Then it'll just clear itself and say, me, no, what problem and mysteriously go away for a couple of weeks. A new battery with a high cold cranking capacity is the only answer.
2. Ask about the shaft and of the splines have been greased. They can seize up. Plenty of post here and elsewhere about it.
3. Make sure you get the Grey 'Emergency Key' with it.
4. Check the tyres. RTs need the heavier duty GT tyres which are more expensive and some people skimp on this. It's not going to stop the bike from working, but can be a haggling point.
5. Don't get hung up about it if it doesn't come with a radio, you can't hear it though a helmet & ear plugs. I never use mine.
Good to see you didnt leave. :cheers:
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.
EasyRider
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: 2019 R1250RT LE
Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 163 times
Wales

Post by EasyRider »

Andybzx9r wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:46 pm I currently have a Kawasaki ZX9
The zx9r is a crap bike :lol: , I've only had a C2, E2 and 2 x F2P. Still got my Red F2P :mrgreen:
Welcome to the forum, i'm new on here to.
Dont Ride Faster, Than Your Angel Can Fly. :thumb:
Capt Sisko
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT LE - '18
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 60 times
Great Britain

Post by Capt Sisko »

Doctor T wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 4:11 pm Good to see you didnt leave. :cheers:
You've lost me on this?
Doctor T
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

Capt Sisko wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 5:15 pm You've lost me on this?
Old age confused me again. Wrong person :oops: Good to have you here anyway ;)
Andybzx9r
Great Britain

Post by Andybzx9r »

EasyRider wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 4:21 pm The zx9r is a crap bike :lol: , I've only had a C2, E2 and 2 x F2P. Still got my Red F2P :mrgreen:
Welcome to the forum, i'm new on here to.
I’ve been riding for about 25 years, started out on a Honda 125 until I passed my test then onto a ZZR 600 followed by the ZX9 C2 and E1 which I currently have.
Andybzx9r
Great Britain

Post by Andybzx9r »

Thanks for the welcome Captain and the buying pointers mate, very helpful.