Front Calipers Leaking

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
Mac001
Bike Model and Year: R1250 RT LE 2019
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 14 times
Great Britain

Front Calipers Leaking

Post by Mac001 »

Just uncovered the bike (2019 RT, 11k miles in the UK) after putting her in the garage at Christmas. I found my right hand front disc was much more rusty than expected and on checking a pool of brake fluid on the rim. Quickly took the caliper off to find wet pads and a crystal deposit in between the pads in the middle of the caliper. The pistons themselves were dry so it seems the caliper is leaking where the two halves join. Crystals are on the left side caliper as well. I understand these bikes were subject to a recall in 2020. So has this problem been resolved by BMW now, particularly in the UK? The bike is under warranty and has been recovered but I have seen posts from 2020 about individuals going through four or five sets of calipers. Out of about 40 bikes over the years this is a first for me with the brakes, I am starting to question my decision to move from a supposedly unreliable KTM to the BMW, this is the fourth fault and second recovery in 1k miles. Anyone with recent experience of this problem, thanks in advance.
Douglas
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2019
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 1 time
Gibraltar

Re: Front Calipers Leaking

Post by Douglas »

Hi, I had exactly the same problem when I purchased my RT in 2109. Dealer changed both front callipers and haven't had a problem since.
Mac001
Bike Model and Year: R1250 RT LE 2019
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 14 times
Great Britain

Re: Front Calipers Leaking

Post by Mac001 »

Douglas wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 2:47 pm Hi, I had exactly the same problem when I purchased my RT in 2109. Dealer changed both front callipers and haven't had a problem since.
That’s good to know, thanks.