Doctor T
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 909 times
Been liked: 239 times
Great Britain

Free Shaft replacement from BMW

Post by Doctor T »

Don't get Shafted
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.
Wierpig
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 4 times
Great Britain

Re: Free Shaft replacement from BMW

Post by Wierpig »

Has anyone had confirmation of this from BMW?
7vwh
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2014
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 33 times
Great Britain

Post by 7vwh »

Wierpig wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 5:14 pm Has anyone had confirmation of this from BMW?
I had mine done last month. 2014, 29000 miles, completed when I took her in for the footrest circlip recall.
Steve398
Bike Model and Year: R1200RTLC, 2018
Has liked: 280 times
Been liked: 238 times
Isle of Wight

Post by Steve398 »

Mine was done last month too, 2018 @ 31000 miles
Mac001
Bike Model and Year: R1250 RT LE 2019
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 14 times
Great Britain

Post by Mac001 »

In the video it talks about having to have had the weep hole and drain rubber fitted, I think it says before the drive shift change. When I spoke to the dealer on Saturday he said BMW were not at the point of doing my bike yet, they have lots to do and are working through slowly. He mentioned I was nowhere near 30k miles yet. So for those who have had a new driveshaft fitted especially, but anyone else as well, has the “quality enhancement” of the weep hole and rubber been fitted as well?
7vwh
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2014
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 33 times
Great Britain

Post by 7vwh »

Mac001 wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 5:23 am So for those who have had a new driveshaft fitted especially, but anyone else as well, has the “quality enhancement” of the weep hole and rubber been fitted as well?
The weep hole was done at the same time as shaft replacement for me.
BoB21
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 37 times
Great Britain

Post by BoB21 »

Had my shaft replaced on 64,000 miles. Washed bike yesterday and as drying noticed missed a bit on shaft so ran a damp cloth over it and felt water running out of shaft. the drain rubber is missing from hole presume pushed up into shaft. What is concerning is that why hadnt the water drained out before I had dislodged the rubber? At moment in no hurry to replace rubber and just let it drain out.
Fourbears
Been liked: 5 times
Great Britain

Post by Fourbears »

Had mine done FOC in December together with the weep hole mod. Mines a 2016 with 46k.
Mac001
Bike Model and Year: R1250 RT LE 2019
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 14 times
Great Britain

Post by Mac001 »

Booked mine in for a service today at my original dealer, Alton. They stated the video was 90% accurate and have double checked with BMW as they have had a lot of calls after the video went on line. At 36k miles the drive shaft will be replaced but in the RT no official instruction to fit the drain hole and rubber, only for the GS. Some dealers do it as a matter of course. The service recommendations are changed to recommend an inspection and grease of the drive shaft at every 12k miles. This is chargeable if you agree to have it done. I suspect some dealers will just add it into the 12k service and charge as a matter of course, so worth checking if like me you grease the thing yourself. The replacement of the driveshaft at 36k is free as it is at BMWs cost. This applies to all RT’s up to late 23 models at which point the owners manual has been changed to include a service requirement to change the drive shaft. For those late models and the new 1300GS the drive shaft replacement is a service cost to the user.
Glad I have a 2019.

Hope this helps.
Wierpig
Great Britain

Post by Wierpig »

Yes, thats helpful.The thing about BMW is, they are quick enough with emails trying to sell you the latest boots, gloves or latest bike, but when it comes to a safety issue with a previous model..no contact.Nothing.I spoke to the dealer and he denied all knowlege.Never mind fannying around, adding it to a 36000 mile service, it should be a recall.
The shaft siezed solid on my last RT, a 2014 and needed replacement at my cost.
Our Gee
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011
Been liked: 24 times
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

Please can anyone advise just what is "failing" on the affected Shafts and are the Replacements a re-design ?. Thanks.
Wierpig
Great Britain

Post by Wierpig »

Its not the shafts as such, but the tunnel its housed in.Water ingress is taking place and either siezing the shaft onto the final drive, or getting into the yoke bearings of the articulated joints.Or both. The shaft can break, causing loss of drive, or worse, lock the rear wheel.
Our Gee
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011
Been liked: 24 times
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

Thanks for that "Wierpig" . Although minor water ingress, (mainly accessing via poorly fitted or un-sealed Rear Boots) has always always been known about, the current Shaft Replacement and Swingarm Drain Hole Mod program, which must be costing BMW a small fortune is quite frankly unbelievable. I'm now wondering just what the fundamental difference is with the current design of Swing Arm / Shaft Assembly which allows the ingress of water to such an extent that the internal components are prone to failure. It's not as though BMW are novices at designing Shaft Drive Motorcycles. Would be interesting to see some pictures of "Failed" shafts ! !.
Glenn
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT LE 2018
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 88 times
Great Britain

Post by Glenn »

BMW service information INFO 33739
Attachments
Driveshaft Service Bulletin (1).pdf
(116.71 KiB) Downloaded 120 times
Wierpig
Great Britain

Post by Wierpig »

Excellent, thanks Glenn.Just need BMW to confirm it in writing in the UK now.